cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Soliciting feedback- what am I looking for?

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all-
Been a forum member here for several years, but have been out of RVing for a bit. We're now looking to buy our first TT (we've previously owned several Class C's and toyhaulers).

So, we're pondering spending the summer on the road- wife, 6 year-old and myself. We're looking for a TT with the following attributes-

2006 or newer (for financing purposes)
<6,500 UVW
25-30' long
1-2 slides
dedicated second sleeping room (bunkhouse style or similar?)
maximum kitchen storage
maximum basement storage
<$20k

If you know any year/make/model that might fit the bill for us, I'd love to hear from you.

Thanks!
Pack out MORE than you packed in!!

2001 Ford F350 Crew cab short bed 4x4 Powerstroke
2013 Forest River Surveyor SV305
13 REPLIES 13

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
Time to close out this thread. Thanks all for the feedback! Am purchasing a used unit from a private party, so the search is over!

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
Time to hit the RV shows. There should be several this time of year and your research on the net should help a lot. Once you figure out what you want in features and floor plans, seeing them on the lot will help. One thing I like about some of the Keystone models is the arched ceiling. It really gives the illusion of more space. Don't be afraid to ask the salesmen about what they may have taken on trade. They will be anxious to unload them.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Don't be insulted - play the game and make a counter offer that you feel is reasonable. Don't think for a minute that any dealership is going to quote the bottome dollar price when you walk in or on the internet. Just walking out without countering is a waste of time.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

maromeo
Explorer
Explorer
Az, we are also in the Phoenix area, went through the same this past May. I am a researcher. I have all my ducks in a row before I go talk to the salesman. Find the model you like and request a quote from www.rvdirect.com or www.rvwholesalers.com each handle different brands. I had a quote in hand along with a pre-approval for financing, because dealers will mess around with the interest rates. We found Good Sam to have best rate for pre-approval and then a local US Bank matched the interest rate through the dealer. Just doing that saved us 4% in interest fees. The dealer came down to a figure we could live with and real close to our quoted research price. Yes it is a bit of work but it has saved us thousands.

Just a side note your AZ sales tax you pay for the unit and any interest fees you pay is a deduction on your 2014 taxes. It will be considered a second home and sales tax on a large purchase.

Just a few things that may help you save a bit with your research.
Joe
Mary
18 yr old DD
2014 Ram 2500 Laramie Mega Cab Cummins Diesel 4x4
2014 Jayco Eagle 298RLDS

usmc616
Explorer
Explorer
If you really want the Salem then make the drive.
SEMPER FI
Joe,Joyce 4 kids & 5 dogs
2017 Chevy Silverado, 4x4, 3500HD, LT, Long Bed, Dually, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission, Reese Dual Cam & Prodigy Brake Controller
2010 Jayco G2 32BHDS.:B

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
Well, had an interesting day today- visited a couple of dealers to scope out some trailers. Had a rather unpleasant experience at Camping World (seemed fine at the time- realized they were trying to take me after I got home and did some research). Looked at some used units there, but couldn't justify spending 16k on an '05 Cougar that was weathered to death on the outside. Fell in lust with a '14 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD- and this is where I get a bit peeved. Salesman quoted me $49,500 for the unit- NOT gonna happen, obviously, lol. I checked their website when I got home, and the web says the asking price WAS $46,602, but it's crossed out and it says "ON SALE- TOO LOW TO SHOW ONLINE." Whatttt? Anyway, I shopped around online, and if I'm willing to travel to another state, I can buy the EXACT same unit for as low as $26,900.

On the other hand, had a very pleasant experience at a place in Mesa called RV-traders. NO PRESSURE salesman happily showed us anything we wanted to see, and each unit had a sheet laying inside that showed the price (and their prices were MUCH more reasonable than the other place). They had a Forest River Evo that was very similar to the Salem we liked- two slides, bunks, outside kitchen w/ fridge, power awning and stabilizers, all with touch screen remote, etc.) for $29,600. Pretty nice unit, and seemed like much more than half the trailer of the Salem for half the price.

Anyway, rant over. Sorry if anyone from CW is offended- I get the impression they're somehow affiliated with this site- is that right? I AM tempted to hit the road and find a Salem Hemisphere for $27k though, lol.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Go to www.afnash.com and look under Northwood TT's for sale and a couple has a 2013 Nash 25C for sale, it is just what you described. Couple is selling because of divorce. Nice trailer.

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Find a floorplan you like and there will probably be 10+ brands with similar ones to differentiate types of materials, construction, features, weight, etc.

Start by looking at floorplans availibe on new ones because that is easier to find on RV MFR web sites.

Some good places to start:
Keystone
Forest River
Cruiser RV

Chances are the same or similar floorplan existed 5 years ago within your $10-13k budget.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

allen8106
Explorer
Explorer
Cherokee Grey Wolf 29BH from Cheyenne Camping Center in Walcott, IA, 5900 lbs dry weight and $16,499 brand new never titled 2014.

If you don't like that one they have several others under their "Value Leader" section.

FYI, I have no financial interest in that company, I only know this because I bought a 32' Puma Bunkhouse from them in 2007 and traded it in 2011 for a fifth wheel for $500 less than I paid for it.

http://www.cheyennecampingcenter.com/value_leaders/CGW29BH_value
2010 Eagle Super Lite 315RLDS
2018 GMC Sierra 3500HD 6.6L Duramax

2010 Nights 45
2011 Nights 70
2012 Nights 144
2013 Nights 46
2014 Nights 49
2015 Nights 57
2016 Nights 73
2017 Nights 40
2018 Nights 56
2019 Nights 76
2020 Nights 68

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
Jim- those Coleman's look pretty $wanky! Yikes! Beautiful rigs though- the 31' with the kitchen island is amazing.

az350x
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the responses so far!

I guess I should say also- IDEALLY, I'd like to spend just over 10k (10-13ish), but am comfortable going a bit higher than that.

We've seen quite a few used Keystones here in the Phoenix area, and do like some of the features and layouts. Weird how brand names seem to vary regionally- I see some other members' signatures, and have never even seen the brand of RV they've got...

APT
Explorer
Explorer
$20k can buy those specs brand new! I paid $21k OTD for my TT new and meets those specs. I could have saved $1400 skipping some options and slide out topper.

How many are you sleeping?

I really like the Keystone Outback 301. It may be out next TT. I could purchase a brand new custom order 2014 for under $25k OTD, so used should be easy to find in that price range. It will be over 7k dry though, but no problem for that F350 in your signature if that is the planned TV. Anyway, bunk room, larger master bedroom (for a TT), lots of storage.

We do like our floorplan as well, single over double bunk in the back with outside access bathroom next to it. Central living area and front master bedroom. It's a bit tight up front.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

TucsonJim
Explorer
Explorer
I have a very good friend who was looking for almost the exact same set up. He settled on the Coleman TT line. I can't reach him right now to get the model number, but here's a link to their lineup. They've been making them for quite a few years, so there should be a few used ones available.

Coleman RVs
2016 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4
2017 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2013 Ford F350 Turbo Diesel SRW 4x4 (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)
2014 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS (Destroyed by fire - 8/29/16)