cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SRW or DRW??

obie311
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife likes a 5'er with a 16300# GVWR. Contemplating a RAM or GMC Diesel tow vehicle. Am I in DWR territory for sure? I don't want to strain drivetrain components or have white knuckle towing experiences.

Thanks for any advice.
64 REPLIES 64

B_O__Plenty
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't NEED a dually. I replaced a shortbox diesel with it. Got rid of the Super Glide and went to a simple to hitch B&W. Put my 62 gal aux tank in the bed and now I don't worry about too much weight. I drive it everyday just like my last one. Took a bit to get used to it but I won't want to go back. Just one person's opinion.

B.O.
Former Ram/Cummins owner
2015 Silverado 3500 D/A DRW
Yup I'm a fanboy!
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Anyone that believes that the RV just stops getting heavier when it reaches the GVWR is delusional.

Perfect example, 21K GVWR actually weighs about 23K with 100G water on board.

So I would advise a dually. Combo in pic is a one finger driver.

I'd advise against a one finger drive and I would worry more about the front axle than the rear. You may be doing that "white knuckle" deal I have been hearing about. LOL

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

taken
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
Nice looking rig!

I like the way the new Superduty trucks look.

Matter of fact, all of the trucks from the big 3 are pretty nice looking. I would be proud to own any of them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah

Thanks! In about a year, the 2017 re-design will happen with the SD's. Not too pleased from the leaked cell pic that's out there, but I'm in the market at that point. I like the way the Ram's look but the plywood seating keeps me in the Ford stable...
Regards, Rodney
TV - 2017 F350 SRW CC SB 4X4 6.7
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nice looking rig!

I like the way the new Superduty trucks look.

Matter of fact, all of the trucks from the big 3 are pretty nice looking. I would be proud to own any of them.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Lantley wrote:
Taken I agree with you that the GVWR includes full tanks. However Cummins12V98 has a sharp looking combo. I don't mind if he likes posting pictures of it. His pictures gives me something to drool at.

Mine isn't all that hard to look at either. I just don't post it in every thread...

Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
taken wrote:
Cummins12V98 wrote:
Anyone that believes that the RV just stops getting heavier when it reaches the GVWR is delusional.

Complete nonsense. GVWR of an RV is meant to include the weight of all it's tanks full. They are part of it's payload. If you are at GVWR before your tanks are full, you are asking to be overloaded. Oh, and please post more pics of your truck and trailer. We need to see them constantly to ensure we recognize you as a man. Maybe I should post mine more and say I can drive it with my thing.

here is my one finger driver!!!

I am in a wonderful GCVWR of around 7800 lbs.... My entire rig is nearly the weight of Cummins Pin weight alone.

Love my rig though.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
Taken I agree with you that the GVWR includes full tanks. However Cummins12V98 has a sharp looking combo. I don't mind if he likes posting pictures of it. His pictures gives me something to drool at.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:

Complete nonsense. GVWR of an RV is meant to include the weight of all it's tanks full. They are part of it's payload. If you are at GVWR before your tanks are full, you are asking to be overloaded. Oh, and please post more pics of your truck and trailer. We need to see them constantly to ensure we recognize you as a man. Maybe I should post mine more and say I can drive it with my thing.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Tlauden
Explorer
Explorer
C'mon, Get a dually, All the cool kids are doing it!!!!!

Seriously though, Get the setup that YOU are comfortable with and that YOU feel safest with. You can never have too much truck though!!
TT- 2015 Starcraft Travel Star 239TBS
TV- 2006 Dodge Ram 3500 6Spd Cummins Dually 4x4
Me, The wife, 2 furkids - Kozmo (6yr old lab) & Zoey (1yr old golden retriever)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Fair enough. I guess I should have quoted dbbls rather than you. Sorry. Personally, I feel no side to side motion or pushing with my SRW in any wind condition, turns, or uneven roads. But when people say that how they feel is definitely how the OP will feel... it rubs me the wrong way. The OP may feel more comfortable with a DRW like you do. He may not feel it's necessary at all like I do. All we can do is say what works for us and let him choose.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
taken wrote:
Halmfamily wrote:
dbbls wrote:
Once you tow with a dually you will never go back to a SRW.

100% agree.....

These kinds of statements are completely foolish. What one person finds better another can be indifferent about or even find worse. It's like telling me I must try a restaurant because I will love it. Well, actually I may hate it. Doesn't mean you should stop eating there. Just not for me. I am perfectly comfortable with my setup. Others may not find it comfortable. Everyone is different so blanket statements really aren't helpful.

I've towed my same fiver with both a SRW and my current DRW. My feelings are dually is more stable especially is side to side movement. The trailer is not pushing the truck side to side in turns, winds or uneven roads. I, meaning my opinion, meaning I don't care what others say about SRW vs DRW, I prefer my dually and will always pull with one. I feel better now.
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

taken
Explorer
Explorer
Halmfamily wrote:
dbbls wrote:

100% agree.....

These kinds of statements are completely foolish. What one person finds better another can be indifferent about or even find worse. It's like telling me I must try a restaurant because I will love it. Well, actually I may hate it. Doesn't mean you should stop eating there. Just not for me. I am perfectly comfortable with my setup. Others may not find it comfortable. Everyone is different so blanket statements really aren't helpful.
Regards, Rodney
TH - 2015 FR XLR 395AMP

Halmfamily
Explorer
Explorer
dbbls wrote:

100% agree.....
2008 GMC Sierra 3500 SLT DRW D/A 4x4 (Big All)
2006 Ford F350 PSD SRW King Ranch 4x4 (Henry) (Sold)
B&W Companion, 90 Aux Fuel Tank, Scan Gauge II, Curt f/m hitch, Swagman XC
2015 Forest River Sierra 360 PDEK
DW Diane, DS Michael, FB Draco and Sabian

blt2ski
A reg cab sw rig will be with in a few hundred, ie 100-300 lbs of total payload of a crew cab dw setup. So reality is, if one wants a sw rig, you may have to go with a reg or ext cab vs a crew cab so you have the payload one needs.

With that in mind, generally speaking, a longer WB will be more comfortless towing than going to a heavier chassis.

At the end of the day, it is not about which chassis you get, but one that will handle the the total load you are going to carry, then has the drive train spec to meet your expected ride comfort, speed up hills, ability to handle a given size trailer behind on down hills. Downhill ability is more important to me than how fast up hill!

Marty
92 Navistar dump truck, 7.3L 7 sp, 4.33 gears with a Detroit no spin
2014 Chevy 1500 Dual cab 4x4
92 Red-e-haul 12K equipment trailer