cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stabilization ??

D-C-Johnson
Explorer
Explorer
In need of some input, Knowing that movement is going to happen I'm wanting to know if using additional screw jacks will help with rocking, I have my TT level, wheels chocked, and x-chocked, corners snug, but still have alot of side rocking.
David,Christy and our three sons
2005 Silverado 2500HD
2018 Kodiak 331BHSL
11 REPLIES 11

Community Alumni
Not applicable
You can buy a set of stack jacks for $30 at Walmart. Put one set on the frame in front of the front axles and the other set behind the rear axle. That should catch the side to side rocking.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
JT Strongarms or something similar is the only way to get rid of most of it. And maybe another set of jacks next to the tires to take out some bounce.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
In my experience camper "wiggle" when you walk around inside varies from one trailer to another, some worse, some not so bad. I obviously deploy the stabs, securing them atop stacks to minimize their extension, and do have a set of X-Chocks but usually only install them when my wife is camping with me, otherwise I don't bother and just live with whatever motion there may be. No biggie, 'though I do notice inherently less with this shorter trailer we currently have compared to our previous KZ Spree which was much longer.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

Cocky_Camper
Explorer II
Explorer II
The less you drop your stabilizers, the less movement you will notice. We have treat 4X4 blocks under your stabilizers to prevent from having to lover them so much, which makes a HUGE difference. We also place as many blocks are possible under the tongue.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
JT Strongarms. Problem solved.

My 35' tt shook and rocked so much it broke several of the bolts holding the stabilizers on. I added a set of JT Strongarms and all movement was gone.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

Community Alumni
Not applicable
rbpru wrote:
We drop the stabilizers and live with the results........ .

Pretty much same for us, gave up years ago trying to stop the rock.

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
I bought a set of 4 screw jacks at Walmart. Makes negligible difference. The TT is moving on it's suspension. You can give them a try - maybe you will see a difference.
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drop the stabilizers and live with the results.

Some people are far more sensitive than others but when you have tried all the cures there is not much else you can do.

The only TTs that I know of what were truly stable we up on blocks in a semi-permanent location.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
Only if you leave them in the up position. Otherwise it will get solid as a rock.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Are you a big guy?
Me 160 lbs, wife 99 lbs. not rocking.
A friend of ours visited while we were camping. He is 300 lbs....this is the first time I felt our trailer rock when he walked around inside.

and yes, screw jacks should help.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
I do it the same way as you with no problems. Either the tires are rolling or a jack is doing its job for whatever reason.
With all that done it should be solid. The x-chocks must be tight.
Have someone rock n roll inside while you do a visual on the exterior to see what is moving. I would think things are not tight enough unless one of the stabilizer jacks is having an issue.