cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

stablizer chains when using a 34" hitch extension?

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
I plan to pull a 6x10 cargo trailer with a few motorcycles in in, behind my truck/camper. Maybe 2000 lbs max loaded with 200-300 lb tongue weight. I was not looking to upgrade to a full super truss, even though that's the preferred solution. I would like to go with a 34" curt 2.5" to 2" reducer/extension for $130 on Amazon.

I was thinking to add stabilizer cable with turnbuckle from the ends of the factory hitch to the chain attachment points on the extension. The ends of the factory hitch are a 3-4" diameter tube so I think a hook can get a decent grip on it at that angle. Of course I'd still use the safety chains as intended. Is this overkill for a trailer this light or a needed upgrade?

Better way to do it without going full super truss?
------------------------------------------------
2015 All Terrain GMC Sierra 4x4 CC Duramax
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB
6 REPLIES 6

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
I ended up using turnbuckles in place of chains where it connects to the truck. Its not as nice as running chains at a 45 degree angle but trailer was very stable. I had about 1500 lbs of cargo for a total trailer weight of 2500 lbs. not sure of tongue weight. I'd run this setup any time without worry.

Thanks for the help!
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I've used 12" extensions for trialers double your weight plus on BAD roads for thousands of miles with no issue and 18" ext for similar loads as the op with no problems, but I'd suggest supporting an extension that long. Seems like cheap insurance.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
thealexdexter wrote:
I plan to pull a 6x10 cargo trailer with a few motorcycles in in, behind my truck/camper. Maybe 2000 lbs max loaded with 200-300 lb tongue weight. I was not looking to upgrade to a full super truss, even though that's the preferred solution. I would like to go with a 34" curt 2.5" to 2" reducer/extension for $130 on Amazon.

I was thinking to add stabilizer cable with turnbuckle from the ends of the factory hitch to the chain attachment points on the extension. The ends of the factory hitch are a 3-4" diameter tube so I think a hook can get a decent grip on it at that angle. Of course I'd still use the safety chains as intended. Is this overkill for a trailer this light or a needed upgrade?

Remember the old saying, it is better to safe than sorry. Do it right the first time, if that trailer got loose because of an accident, you might not forgive yourself if someone got hurt or worse.

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
THANKS. I guess that pretty much answers it. Likley not needed so I'll try first and add later if needed/if it will fit.
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB

Flashman
Explorer II
Explorer II
thealexdexter wrote:

I used a 48 inch extension when I had my TC. Towed as much as 4000 lbs with it - never used chains.

thealexdexter
Explorer
Explorer
oh...and would I need mega chains for this application? I'm thinking something small would suffice. I wouldn't expect 1000 lb loads from side to side...but maybe I'm nuts.
2016 Arctic Fox 811SB