cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A/c strategy on super hot days

RooDude09
Explorer
Explorer
What is everyone's strategy when you know it's going to be a hot one and the A/C will be on most of the day? Vents open, cracked, closed? Thanks for Any help
16 REPLIES 16

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have some of the pop open car window shades that are black on one side and semi reflective on the other side. On a hot day I close all the blinds and block off the skylights. Whatever side is the sunny side, I place the window shades between the window and the factory blinds, with the reflective side out.

Reducing the solar heat gain by blocking skylights/vents, closing the blinds and putting reflective material on the sunny side goes a LONG way in cooling off the camper.

Getting the temps down early makes it easier to keep it cool. If you wait too long in the day and its brutally hot inside the camper, you are going to have a tough time cooling it off.

One more thing, if you have ducted AC vents, remember that the ducts are in the ceiling, close to the heat from the roof. Its best to open the dump vents on the AC unit and dump the coolest air straight into the main living area. You lose less of your cool air to the hot vents.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
No one has mentioned, but it's a good idea to drop the a/c cover on the inside and inspect the separation from output side to intake side. Usually aren't sealed very well, and can lose a lot of efficiency. I sealed mine up and noticed and immediate decrease in temps as well as an increase in airflow. Feel all around in there for air leaks and you'll be surprised at what you find.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with Rangerman40 I let it rip and keep everything cool
We do close the shades tho and put the awning out (weather permitting)
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

Cocky_Camper
Explorer
Explorer
Request a shades site, crank the air on 68 degrees when arriving, and keep the door shut as much as possible! We live in humid SC and camp near the coast mostly, and A/C is a must daily from April - October and many days after.
2004 Sea Breeze by National RV - 8341

Former Coaches:
2006 Keystone Zeppeline 291 - TT
2000 Aerolite Cub F21 - Hybrid TT
1991 Coleman Pop Up

Formerly known as: hybrid_camper

eichacsj
Explorer
Explorer
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Close it up.......vents/windows shut
window shades down/drawn/closed
block off light coming in thru roof vents/sunlights

Turn on A/C Unit EARLY and let it run

A/C recirculates inside air.....
Open vents/windows allows hot outside to get in---cool inside to get out
Sun blazing thru window is HEAT...block it
Extend awnings to provide some shade

("Hey what are you trying to do cool the neighborhood off")

X3 couldn't of said it better Old-Biscuit. One thing to add, don't hold the door open for a conversation. Open get in/out and close it.
2014 Arctic Fox 30U
2001 Silverado 2500 HD, 4WD
8.1 Vortec / 4.10 gears / ATS Stage 2 Allison Transmission with Co-Pilot
Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Brake Controller
Reece Class 5 Hitch with 1700lb bars

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Here are a couple of things that will help. Cover the floor vents, cool air sinks through them. Use a lawn sprinkler or a hose to spray the roof of the trailer, either will cool the camper considerably. The third thing would be to visit the mountains of Colorado.

prichardson
Explorer
Explorer
Close windows and vents, set the thermostat at a reasonable temperature and let it run 24/7. Closing shades or deploying the awning on the sunny side will also help. Choosing a shady spot is even better.

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get it? Here in Florida you better find a shady spot, turn it on high and let it rip 24/7. Blocking out sources of heat gain can make a big difference (OH vents, windows etc.)
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

busterbrown73
Explorer
Explorer
Buying these RV Vent insulators have helped tremendously this past weekend with high humidity, sun, and temps > 88 degrees. I can't recommend them enough.

Strabo
Explorer
Explorer
When we lived in our hauler i figured out a way to connect a 4 1/2 ton swamp cooler thru the rear vent doors, worked awesome. 115 outside, 65 inside on low. Perfect.
04' F350 PSD TB SC FX4 XLT, TH-04' 32' Sandpiper Sport Fifthwheel WB Dual Axle
07' Rhino 686 SS106-ITP-AFE-BRP-T4-CDI-KIBBLEBWHITE-CVT-TSTICH-Ridgid LED LightBar-HID Conversion Kit-LIVEWIRE
04' Honda 250 Sportstrac quad
05' Honda 400 Ranchers quad

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
When I stop, I open everything and turn the fan on high. A/C is turned on at the same time so it can begin making cool air Once the air has been exchanged (hottest air is out), close things up tight and let the A/C work.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

Rangerman40
Explorer
Explorer
I just let the A/C do its thing.......

Janss
Explorer
Explorer
x2 Old-Biscuit. Everything closed. Start it up early in the day.
2002 Itasca Suncruiser 32V
2012 Suzuki Grand Vitara

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Close it up.......vents/windows shut
window shades down/drawn/closed
block off light coming in thru roof vents/sunlights

Turn on A/C Unit EARLY and let it run

A/C recirculates inside air.....
Open vents/windows allows hot outside to get in---cool inside to get out
Sun blazing thru window is HEAT...block it
Extend awnings to provide some shade

("Hey what are you trying to do cool the neighborhood off")
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31