cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Storage compartment latch/locks

Cautrell05
Explorer
Explorer
Our 2001 mallard TT has the standard 1/4 turn key locks for the outside storage compartments. As expected, one key works part of the time and the others kinda work sometimes. The key latches are cheap and easy enough to install. I was wondering is there a latch/lock I could install that would allow me to leave them unlocked but still latch? I'm not afraid of a little fab work to make them fit, Just don't know where to look for options. Thanks in advance.
Nick
20 REPLIES 20

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
RVLocksandmore.com has baggage locks now. They can be keyed to match your door locks, if your RV has Global Link locks, which are pretty common on RVs built in the last 2 years or so.

I replaced the door locks on both my cargo trailer and truck camper in May. The other day I discovered their new compartment locks, so I ordered a bunch of them last week.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
I have two locks per door also, one locks and the other has a twist knob.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

cringold
Explorer
Explorer
I have a door with only two latches - 1 thumb + 1 keyed cam lock. I prefer not to have to use a key to lock/unlock every time we travel, but this door won't latch well enough with only the 1 thumb latch on one end. So, I just got another thumb latch to put in place of the current key latch, and I bought one of the combi-cam locks shown above to add in the middle of the door. I have two questions about installing them...

1. Does anyone use any kind of sealer when replacing the cam-locks... i.e. o-ring, butyl, lap sealant, and/or ProFlex RV?

2. I want to add the new combi-cam lock to the middle of the door which doesn't currently have a hole there. I just discovered that the current 2 camlock holes have a reinforced double-d metal insert inside the door. Does anyone have any guidance/suggestions on how to go about getting a new suitable double-d hole into the door?

Thanks for any info.

Chad R.

marcarolle
Explorer
Explorer
Hi I have installed the same combo cam like Barney showed. They were a bit pricey here in Canada, but worth every penny of it. No more keys needed. 3 of the 4 compartment doors required the key to open them. No more keys needed. I set the 4 locks with the same combinaison of numbers.
Me
DW

Gouda - 11 months Golden Retriever
Eva Golden Retriever (we miss you!)

2019 F150 2.7l V6 Ecoboost
2008 Gulf Breeze 26RKS

2004 Antigua 215SS Hybrid - gone
2002 Jayco Eagle 12SD pop up - gone
1996 10 ft Clipper pop up - gone
1977 10 ft Lionel pop up - gone

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Those cheap locks are keyed alike between rv mfg's. I would not keep anything of value in those compartments. To make things a little more secure, swap the lock to a combo lock (as posted) just make sure it has a boot to keep out road dirt.
They come in different sizes, match what you already have.

you tube video on how to do it.

evanvalk
Explorer
Explorer
I replaced all of my storage compartment locks with some I accidently found at a marine parts store, $1.99 ea. and water proof. one size fit all, Ed
ED. & ROSE.
Hartland Wilderness, 2014, 33.6 ft. 2-Slids.
2008 Ram 2500 Quad Heavy Duty 6.7,Cummins Turbo-Diesel
4X4 Big Horn. Tampa, FL
TAMPA, FL.

🙂

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cautrell05 wrote:
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Cautrell05 wrote:
Our 2001 mallard TT has the standard 1/4 turn key locks for the outside storage compartments. As expected, one key works part of the time and the others kinda work sometimes. The key latches are cheap and easy enough to install. I was wondering is there a latch/lock I could install that would allow me to leave them unlocked but still latch? I'm not afraid of a little fab work to make them fit, Just don't know where to look for options. Thanks in advance.
Nick

I don't think all of the members have read your post correctly. Or, maybe I didn't.

Are you asking for a way to keep the storage compartments closed part time so that you do not always have to turn the key?

If so, maybe a home kitchen cabinet latch or magnet would do the trick temporarily ???

Then you can replace your key latch for when you want a more permanent closure like when going down the road.

I only have 2 outside compartments so I just leave the key in the latch until I'm ready to travel. Then I pull it out and hang it on a hook just inside the TT door where I can reach it from the ground.

Yes, you read it right. Ideally I would like some way for them to be securely closed but unlocked and then key locked when needed. One compartment already has a thumb lock plus a key lock. They other three doors are smaller and only have one lock in the center.

Humm,, If you look at the doors closely does the key locks latch bar ;on the inside of the door; turn into a special place ? On my TT the latch bar just turns over the inside lip of the door.

If this is the same way in your TT can you just drill a new hole in the door and then add a thumb lock in that hole? Leave the original key lock in place for when you want it more secure.

It may look a little funny on the outside with two latches that are not equally spaced. If this bothers you add two thumb locks equally spaced on the door near the edges and leave the key lock in the middle.

If you see what I mean. I'm not very good at explaining myself.

Cautrell05
Explorer
Explorer
CavemanCharlie wrote:
Cautrell05 wrote:
Nick

I don't think all of the members have read your post correctly. Or, maybe I didn't.

Are you asking for a way to keep the storage compartments closed part time so that you do not always have to turn the key?

If so, maybe a home kitchen cabinet latch or magnet would do the trick temporarily ???

Then you can replace your key latch for when you want a more permanent closure like when going down the road.

I only have 2 outside compartments so I just leave the key in the latch until I'm ready to travel. Then I pull it out and hang it on a hook just inside the TT door where I can reach it from the ground.

Yes, you read it right. Ideally I would like some way for them to be securely closed but unlocked and then key locked when needed. One compartment already has a thumb lock plus a key lock. They other three doors are smaller and only have one lock in the center.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
Cautrell05 wrote:
Nick

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
And.....Did you ever forget your storage compartment keys and then find out that everyone else storage compartment keys are the same! Last summer a friend forgot his keys and we tried over a dozen other campers keys and they all fit!
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

BarneyS
Explorer III
Explorer III
How about this lock?
Barney

2004 Sunnybrook Titan 30FKS TT
Hensley "Arrow" 1400# hitch (Sold)
Not towing now.
Former tow vehicles were 2016 Ram 2500 CTD, 2002 Ford F250, 7.3 PSD, 1997 Ram 2500 5.9 gas engine

Rbertalotto
Explorer
Explorer
Have you ever had cargo shift and fall against the lock....and as you try to turn the lock, the key breaks off!!!!!

No, me neither......:S
RoyB
Dartmouth, MA
2021 RAM 2500 4X4 6.4L
2011 Forest River Grey Wolf Cherokee 19RR
520 w solar-200ah Renogy Li-Epever MPPT

razehm
Explorer
Explorer
I have been wanting to upgrade the latch/lock on my TT as well. I just haven't gotten around to it yet. They are hard to find on line, maybe because I'm not exactly sure the name/model. But I think if you go to an RV dealer and talk to them about upgrading to the latches you see on higher end TT and 5ers. Because those latches are way better than the cheap quarter turn lock your talking about. In the mean time you can try and put some graphite in but since you already tried some oil that might just gum it up. Try putting a squirt of graphite in teh others, that's what I do.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
I always found that it helps to tighten the nut that holds the latch. if loose, then everything gets sloppy . lube then tighten them up and they work better. If the key will not slide in..then thats more than likely a bent or miss cut key.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.