cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

storage

Rickkessler54
Explorer
Explorer
I will be storing our camper inside a outbuilding on a farm and was wanting to know how to keep criters out of the camper. All suggestions will be helpful.
7 REPLIES 7

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
We store at home, kind of semi-rural, and have a covered area where it lives 24/7. I've heard dryer sheets and used them every year....don't know if it works, but always smells nice when we open up in the spring. In the fall, I take out ALL food and wash the shelves where the food was stored, vacuum the upholstery to be sure all crumbs are gone, wet mop the floor. I leave the linens and kitchen stuff right where it is, but make sure there are no crumbs in those drawers. I always hesitate to say "we never have had a problem" since that will be the kiss of death. I'll just say so far, so good.

Agree that a closed barn-type building would be a great place for critters to congregate, so that would not be my choice. Ours is covered only, but open sides.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

FytsFyr541
Explorer
Explorer
I have good luck with Peppermint oil, bounce dryer sheets. not sure which one of them work but no critters..
IMPROVISE-OVERCOME-ADAPT
Semper Fi

Rickkessler54
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone, We have decided to not store our camper in the farm building. Sounds like it's not worth it to save some money. Thanks

3LittleDucks
Explorer
Explorer
We take out all mattresses and cushions for winter, and use bounce sheets. I read somewhere that stabilizer jacks are like rodent runways, so we leave ours up.
2008 Nissan Armada TV
2007 Trail Cruiser 21RBH HTT

Hoosierdaddy47
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper had some mouse damage when we bought it, but none since. Stored outdoors, in our yard. Dryer sheets seem to work pretty well.
2004 Antigua 215 SB
2006 Durango Adventurer Hemi
Tekonsha Prodigy P3
DW-Indeterminate age
DD-16
DS-13
Olivia-Torkie
Balthazar-Italian Greyhound
Check my group (NOT page!) on Facebook-Hybrid Travel Trailer Camping

Chuck_S
Explorer
Explorer
The only change I'd recommend is to use Bronze Wool rather than steel. Steel wool will turn to pink dust over the winter as it positively seems to attract moisture and rust.

We store our camper and boat at the fairgrounds. Concrete floor, very high ceiling. Not a livestock building so mo smells. No critters but I don't leave any food in either.

-- Chuck
'06 Roo 23SS behind '17 Expedition out of Richmond
Our Photo pages

loulou57
Explorer
Explorer
What type of RV do you have?......Duh! I just read you have a hybred.

Storing inside a farm building presents a variety of problems. I am a farm girl. I have seen damage done to RV's stored in driving sheds.
Mice/ squirrels being the obvious....plug all holes (water tank drain) with steel wool, silicone or spray foam (be careful) Some people swear by using moth balls inside others fabric softener sheets. I have tried both things storing a tent trailer. Mice/squirrels will/can chew through canvass, make nests in mattresses. ( I would remove them). Also, don't rely on plastic containers.
Birds....your trailer is guaranteed to be covered with bird poop unless you cover it.
Raccoons....I have seen damage from a raccoon going underneath and chewing/tearing through. One man puts barbed wire around the bottom of his to keep them out
Spiders..,You could get spiders anywhere really but they like to plug gas/propane lines.
Smell....even in an out building your unit will pick up the odor. What type of farm is it? Cash crop or livestock? You will get a lingering odor.
Insurance....make sure you have ins and let them know where your trailer is being stored.
I really would like to discourage you from storing on a farm. From experience it can be one of the worst places to store your RV. This coming from a farm girl LOL. Talk to one of the local vets, they may be able to suggest something to keep critters away.