cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Storing with slide out?

Cdaddy
Explorer
Explorer
I don't get the logic behind the idea of storing with your slides outs. Seems to be 50/50 neer me in pa. Any thoughts on it
16 REPLIES 16

justafordguy
Explorer
Explorer
No snow here so we leave our slides out all year, and use our camper all year.
2015 Heartland Gateway 3650BH
2017 F350 CCLB KR FX4
2005 F250 CC FX4
77 Bronco, 302,C4,PS,PB,A/C,33" KM2s,D44/Lock-Right,9"/Grizzly locker

Campfire_Time
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
So here is a question for you all, and our campground is in northern WI.

What are thoughts on slides out,

We frequent a private CG in Door County. Pretty much all the seasonals there leave their slides out year round. And they are closed from mid-Oct to mid-May.
Chuck D.
โ€œAdventure is just bad planning.โ€ - Roald Amundsen
2013 Jayco X20E Hybrid
2016 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab Z71 LTZ2
2008 GMC Sierra SLE1 Crew Cab Z71 (traded)

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I've had to bring my slides in on occasion when the wind came up and they were flapping like crazy. wouldn't want to leave them out unattended. and with a heavy snow load???
but one important thing has been mentioned here, when you are looking at a RV to buy, check it out with the slides in to see how liveable/accessible things are.
bumpy

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
I'm one of those who leaves slide out in weather. Was told (by old-timer dealer) that a better seal is made by having the slide out. I don't know if that's true or not. I do have a slide topper that collects the snow. So far no problems. I'm storing at a storage lot for first time this year. Also, maybe it makes it harder to steal:)
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
srt20 wrote:
What are thoughts on slides out, all winter long outside?

Many, if not most, who own trailers with slides have no choice but to extend them out anytime the trailer is actually being used, regardless of the season because if not the interior of the trailer is severely restricted. I'm one (probably of few) who intentionally chose a trailer with a slide that doesn't impede interior access in any way so I can use it at any time, in any season, whether the slide is extended or not. Here in Ontario several parks offer winter camping programs, one being MacGregor Point Provincial Park ... their season begins Nov 1 so campers will be up there right now building all sorts of contraptions over their trailers to protect them from heavy snow fall, some even build a complete rafter roof! WAY too much work for me. :R

I am with you. We also bought a TT that is just as usable with the slide in as out. Don't know why any one would want it any other way. Every drawer, every bed, every cabinet is easily accessible with the slide in.
so for us it is a no brainer. It is stored with the slide in.. Safer that way.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
srt20 wrote:
What are thoughts on slides out, all winter long outside?

Many, if not most, who own trailers with slides have no choice but to extend them out anytime the trailer is actually being used, regardless of the season because if not the interior of the trailer is severely restricted. I'm one (probably of few) who intentionally chose a trailer with a slide that doesn't impede interior access in any way so I can use it at any time, in any season, whether the slide is extended or not. Here in Ontario several parks offer winter camping programs, one being MacGregor Point Provincial Park ... their season begins Nov 1 so campers will be up there right now building all sorts of contraptions over their trailers to protect them from heavy snow fall, some even build a complete rafter roof! WAY too much work for me. :R
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

srt20
Explorer
Explorer
So here is a question for you all, and our campground is in northern WI.

What are thoughts on slides out, all winter long outside? My neighbors at our seasonal campground will be using their 5er all winter, weekend warriors. He is leaving the slides out.
We have another neighbor that put some "hard toppers" on his slides for winter. Wood framed with plastic corrugated sheets screwed to the wood. Angled so when snow melts it will run off instead of staying on slide. His is a park/destination model type.

For ours, I was planning on putting slides out when we arrive and putting slides in when we go home. I don't really want the snow weight on the slide roofs when Im not there. I am not worried about the total weight with the slides out, because when I sit on the couch, Im putting my 250lbs right on the slide. Just more worried about the slide roof.
The neighbor with the slides out and no toppers, said if it snows while you are at camper, then you have to clean slide roofs off very clean, or the snow, ice, water comes inside when you pull slide in.

I have 3 slides, my camper is a TT/destination type model.

What say you guys?

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
I "store" mine in my driveway under a carport. Most of the time the slides are in to help keep critters out. Have had birds build nests in slide mechanisms. Don't see any rational for storing with slides out, especially if off premises.
Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
I think it's just a matter of convenience; namely, how accessible do you need the inside over the winter, or how often do you use your camper over the winter. Does it snow where you are at, and if it does snow, is there a chance you'll need to tow the trailer?

As far as, does it make any difference, affect the trailer, do any damage? The answer is "no".

For me: if the camper is not actively being used, then slides in. It only takes a push of a button to bring the slides in, so why not?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
I always left my slides in when stored. if you need into a closet/drawer and slide blocks it, move it out momentarily.
bumpy

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
We have our own rv garage, so we store our mh with jacks down and slides out. If it was out in the weather, I would definitely store with jacks up and slides in.

4aSong wrote:
X2
We store ours trailer indoors in an enclosed garage so we leave the slide out and the stabilizer jacks down. If it were stored outdoors we wound store with the slide in and stabilizer jacks down.

Unless you expect to be in and out of your rig on a regular basis while it's being stored there's little point to leaving the slide(s) out or the stabs deployed. For the first time in years this year I'll be winter storing our trailer inside and because I won't be seeing it for the next 5 months both the slide and stabs will be in the stored (travel) position. Seems obvious to me. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

BizmarksMom
Explorer
Explorer
My rv garage is too narrow to move around the outside of the trailer if the slide is out. (There's space to extend the slide, but not enough space to comfortably walk past the extended slide.)
So, the slide is in unless I'm working inside of the trailer.
2019 F350 towing a Nash 22H

4aSong
Explorer
Explorer
lanerd wrote:
We have our own rv garage, so we store our mh with jacks down and slides out. If it was out in the weather, I would definitely store with jacks up and slides in.

Ron

X2
We store ours trailer indoors in an enclosed garage so we leave the slide out and the stabilizer jacks down. If it were stored outdoors we would store with the slide in and stabilizer jacks down.
M & N

Tundra TRD V8 4x4 w/Leer Shell
EU2000i * Prodigy * McKesh * Trek * Renogy * ENU

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....