cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tow Advice F150 1/2 ton

mike5150
Explorer
Explorer
We are looking at a Wildwood 27RKSS Gross Weight 7720 lbs Dry Weight 6355 lbs My F150 as far as I can tell can tow 8000 lbs it is a XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio Is this to much TT for this truck I know I am pushing the envelope we have never owned a TT before any help would be very much appreciated Mike

UPDATE I understand this is to much Trailer for my truck Just trying to learn so

The yellow Sticker Door Jam says The combined weight of occupants and card go should never exceed 1661 lbs Is that the magic number for total hitch weight of TT and passengers and gear If so does
2013 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio
30 REPLIES 30

mike5150
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Here we go again. Why oh why does everyone with a 1/2 to truck (or so it seems) wants to tow a big long trailer right close to all capacities????

That's too much trailer, try something 24' or less and don't believe the maufactureres statements that their trailers are "light." What a joke.

I have a '94 GMC Suburban K1500 1/2 ton with 350, 3.73 gears, heavy duty towing package (trans cooler, oil cooler, extra sway bars, etc.) Supposed to be able to tow 10,000 lbs. I tow a 22' 4500 lb Tahoe "Lite" (yeah right, maufactureres info says its supposed to be 2900 dry, it's actually 4300). Use an Equal-I-zer hitch so don't even know it's back there. When we towed a 30' double slide Arctic Fox we did it with an '88 454 3/4 ton Suburban.

So, if you buy this trailer, I hope I don't end up on the same hiway with you.

Please read the subject line I am looking for advice Thats all Please do not include me with "everyone" I am a nobody

Thank you guys for all the ADVICE just to keep LVJJJ on the road I will find another setup
2013 XLT 4dr SuperCrew 6.5 ft. SB (5.0L 8cyl 3.31 E-Lock Electronic Locking Rear Axle Ratio

Acdii
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
Here are some across the scales real numbers:
2011 F-150 E-boost, sticker max cargo 1411 lbs.
subtract:
2 Adults and dog. 500 lbs
Truck cap 200 lbs
Camp gear and tools in bed 100 lbs.

This leaves 611 lbs for tongue weight.

Dutchmen Dry weight 5004 lbs becomes 6200 lbs across the scales when loaded for the road.

With the WD hitch redistributing the weight, the change in axle weight shows my load is near or at the the max cargo limit.

After 23,000 towing miles in three years, including two trips to the Rockies, the desert and the OK an TX cross winds, I can say the towing combination is fine; however, there is no doubt it does increase the wear and tear on tires and shocks.

So run your numbers and I think that unless you travel very light, you will find you will exceed your max cargo rather quickly.

Good luck.

Sounds pretty close to mine too. I have a Coleman 274BH, sits right at 28' long and handles just fine. Put nearly 4000 miles on it this year driving across the states and up and down the Rockies with my 14 5.5' Screw EB, with 3.15, yes you read that right 3.15 rear end gearing.

The trick is, do your homework on what your truck can and can't do and buy the appropriate trailer for it. For my truck the math worked out to a max of 7100# GVWR of the trailer and the Coleman fits right there. For short trips of 2 hours or less, we all load up in the truck, but for longer trips my wife and mom take her Focus. I have the kids with me, only because with all of us, I exceed GVWR of the truck by 200#. I too have a cap on the back, and carry about 120# in the bed, my tools, a generator and 5 gallon fuel can.

I have zero driveability issues with the properly setup WDH and Sway control, and no issues in the giddyup and go department, though I am considering installing shorter gears only to help get rid of the drone from running in 5th.

Since the OP's truck has about 200# more payload, he can probably go with a 7400# GVWR trailer and be happy with it, but that is the limit, no more than that, less if he has a cap or hauls more than I do in the bed. My trailer fully loaded wet with all our gear comes in at 6300# and 720# TW. Drove it in some really strong cross winds and it handle them just fine, no white knuckling, but you knew it was back there when the wind hit it, but no more than when I pull my 6x12 enclosed with no WDH or sway.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
LVJJJ wrote:
I have a '94 GMC Suburban K1500 1/2 ton with 350, 3.73 gears, heavy duty towing package (trans cooler, oil cooler, extra sway bars, etc.) Supposed to be able to tow 10,000 lbs. I tow a 22' 4500 lb Tahoe "Lite" (yeah right, maufactureres info says its supposed to be 2900 dry, it's actually 4300). Use an Equal-I-zer hitch so don't even know it's back there. When we towed a 30' double slide Arctic Fox we did it with an '88 454 3/4 ton Suburban.

Actually trucks have improved a bit over the last 22 years.

And what is wrong with knowing a trailer is back there? (aside from sway issues that should always be corrected)

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
LVJJJ wrote:
Here we go again. Why oh why does everyone with a 1/2 to truck (or so it seems) wants to tow a big long trailer right close to all capacities????...
Why not? I can think of several reasons why I would.
1. 1/2 ton is cheaper
2. It fits in my garage (my F-250 won't)
3. It fits in the parking deck at work (My f-250 won't)
4. Being lighter it gets better gas mileage
5. Being a daily driver its much more parking lot friendly
6. It's still capable of hauling a trailer right up to 100 percent of its rated capacities.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
LVJJJ wrote:
Here we go again. Why oh why does everyone with a 1/2 to truck (or so it seems) wants to tow a big long trailer right close to all capacities????...

Probably for the same reason that everyone thinks that if a truck is close to it's capacities they need a bigger truck.

Better keep stay off the highways now, as there are plenty of examples of overloaded vehicles out there. Lot of them far worse than what the OP is suggesting.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

Community Alumni
Not applicable
MFL wrote:
OK, just for fun, and this thread seems to have died.

I backed my 250 with small 6'x8' trailer up at the leaf drop off. It has 18" sides, so good leaf hauler. Guy backing in next to me with 3'x5' little trailer, that I could have pulled with my bicycle, but he had a 150. He had a little trouble, as he could not see the dinky little trailer in his mirrors. He got out said hi, and I said that is too big of a trailer for your truck. He said huh, you don't think the truck is big enough? I said it is just a 150 is it not? He said you can't be serious, most people make fun of my little trailer. I said ya, kidding, just thinking of a forum I enjoy, where everyone says you need a bigger truck. Nice fellow, gave me a friendly smile, and a have a good day as we departed.

Jerry

Thanks for the laugh. That's a good one.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
MFL wrote:

I backed my 250 with small 6'x8' trailer up at the leaf drop off. It has 18" sides, so good leaf hauler. Guy backing in next to me with 3'x5' little trailer, that I could have pulled with my bicycle, but he had a 150. He had a little trouble, as he could not see the dinky little trailer in his mirrors. He got out said hi, and I said that is too big of a trailer for your truck. He said huh, you don't think the truck is big enough? I said it is just a 150 is it not? He said you can't be serious, most people make fun of my little trailer. I said ya, kidding, just thinking of a forum I enjoy, where everyone says you need a bigger truck. Nice fellow, gave me a friendly smile, and a have a good day as we departed.

Jerry

Way to go Jerry.....

Now this guy is home trying to convince his wife he has to get a bigger truck.
Probably won't sleep at night worrying :B
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
I see absolutely nothing wrong with towing at the very max. Just keep in mind performance will be muted accordingly. Generally safer to go a little slower anyway.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II

Jerry

Boon_Docker
Explorer II
Explorer II
^ My advise to you would be, stay off the highway then. ๐Ÿ˜‰

There are a way more unsafe car/truck scenarios out there on the highway than someone just towing a trailer near their limits.

LVJJJ
Explorer
Explorer
Here we go again. Why oh why does everyone with a 1/2 to truck (or so it seems) wants to tow a big long trailer right close to all capacities????

That's too much trailer, try something 24' or less and don't believe the maufactureres statements that their trailers are "light." What a joke.

1994 GMC Suburban K1500
2005 Trail Cruiser TC26QBC
1965 CHEVY VAN, 292 "Big Block 6" (will still tow)
2008 HHR
L(Larry)V(Vicki)J(Jennifer)J(Jesse)J(Jason)

rbpru
Explorer
Explorer
Here are some across the scales real numbers:
2011 F-150 E-boost, sticker max cargo 1411 lbs.
subtract:
2 Adults and dog. 500 lbs
Truck cap 200 lbs
Camp gear and tools in bed 100 lbs.

This leaves 611 lbs for tongue weight.

Dutchmen Dry weight 5004 lbs becomes 6200 lbs across the scales when loaded for the road.

With the WD hitch redistributing the weight, the change in axle weight shows my load is near or at the the max cargo limit.

After 23,000 towing miles in three years, including two trips to the Rockies, the desert and the OK an TX cross winds, I can say the towing combination is fine; however, there is no doubt it does increase the wear and tear on tires and shocks.

So run your numbers and I think that unless you travel very light, you will find you will exceed your max cargo rather quickly.

Good luck.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

limitswitch
Explorer
Explorer
You will love the Wildwood 27'RKSS. That is the same TT that we own. The large counter space is what sold us on the rear kitchen model, plus I like the space for my coffee pot.
2016 F250 6.2L V8
2016 Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS

limitswitch
Explorer
Explorer
That is the exact same trailer and pickup that we had. Our truck pulled the trailer fine, but was hard handling in windy conditions. We did make a trip to florida and the TT pulled fine but there was not much grade. Like others have posted, we were on the top end of our towing capacity tho. We upgraded to an F250 and there is a difference like night and day in the towing. Go ahead and upgrade, you wont regret it.... ๐Ÿ™‚
2016 F250 6.2L V8
2016 Forest River Wildwood 27RKSS