cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Stormy weather and popups

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
Curious as to whether people leave their popup truck campers in the up position during thunderstorms. Any damage likely from 20-40 mph storms?
15 REPLIES 15

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
This was a New Years Weekend snowmobiling. 25 below zero!!! Had all the canvas insulated with a roll of Reflectix. No problems exept I forgot to leave the cabinet door open for the porti potty and it froze solid!!!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

ISBRAM
Explorer
Explorer
I went Ice fishing last year; the wind was gusting so bad that I saw more than one fisherman chasing his gear across the ice.
It dropped into single digits overnight and the wind continued, it was warm and cozy inside my Hallmark. The difference with the wind and cold when you stepped outside was unbelievable.
1999 Dodge Ram 2500 QC LB Cummins
2018 Airstream Flying Cloud 28RB

If you see me camped someplace stop and say hi, I've always got an extra ice cold beer.

Hodag1
Explorer
Explorer
At 10 degrees F., No freezing of people or water or tanks in my Outfitter Apex 9.5 with ducted basement heat and 3 layer "tent part.

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
No issues except for freezing your buns off, you're in a tent

Please cite your experience. I've never froze my buns, rather there were a few freezing nights I had to get up and turn the furnace off.

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
No issues except for freezing your buns off, you're in a tent
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
I've had no issues in high winds, as much as 40 mph I think. We camped in Rocky Mtn Nat'l Park the night after we picked up the TC and had high gusting winds, sleet, snow, and blowing rain. No problems.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, the point was...if a pop-up that extends prob 4ft or so can handle those winds - the top of a truck camper should handle easily as it opens --- maybe, 2ft
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mfar1234 wrote:
Owned a Fleetwood Avalon Highlander (29ft when open) for 5 years and camped in the winds/storms of TX MANY times. No problems -- However, in 60MPH winds... lowering the top a bit would be a great idea!

Nice...was that on a 27' bed dually?
Quite a setup....
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

s1214
Explorer
Explorer
Prominion wrote:
Both my Palomino Bronco and Hallmark Milner had no issues in high winds...in a forested site, however, you do start thinking about trees coming down...

Both a SunLite and a NorthStar and never worried about the wind and the camper. I did move down from the cabover to the dinette one night because of falling tree limbs in the campground. I just felt it offered a little more protection.

More2Explore
Explorer
Explorer
Former Hallmark Milner owner here, kept the top up in a couple of thunder storm and a tornado warning......of course I left the truck and camper and went to the designated shelter the camp ground host pointed out. Just a few small limbs down in the campground. Also spent a night just outside Glacier national Park in some ridiculous wind coming down the east side of the mountains, no issues with the camper......as others have said, sleeping was the challenge.

As always check with your manufacturer or dealer, if possible, to see what their guidelines/recommendations are.

2014 Wolf Creek 850 SB
2013 F-350 SCB SB 4X4 6.2 L

Prominion
Explorer
Explorer
Both my Palomino Bronco and Hallmark Milner had no issues in high winds...in a forested site, however, you do start thinking about trees coming down...
Professional Minion & Sweetie

Mfar1234
Explorer
Explorer
Owned a Fleetwood Avalon Highlander (29ft when open) for 5 years and camped in the winds/storms of TX MANY times. No problems -- However, in 60MPH winds... lowering the top a bit would be a great idea!
:C
Mfar1234
40' 2002 Alpine Coach, 400 ISL Cummings/3000 6sd Allison
2006 Dodge Ram 4x4
Brodie - Lab Mix and Baylee - Border Collie

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had to lower my top on 2 different occasions in wind storms. Almost 3. I asked my service guy what could happen in high winds and he said if the canvas holds up he's seen the lift systems bend so badly they could not be operated.

This is probably my last TC but if I need a replacement it will be a low profile (without basement) hardside.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Freedom_49
Explorer
Explorer
I have camped more than once in 60 mph chinooks that lasted all night in both an Outfitter and a Hallmark without damage to the camper, and without the soft wall making any additional noise such as flapping. Trying to sleep was another matter!