cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Lance wiring issue

MuGGzy
Explorer
Explorer
200? Lance truck camper with the little round plug. We just got it back from the dealer after having a hitch and tie downs installed and they put a new round bed liner plug in for this new lance plug. Our previous camper used a big round "blade" connector and there is a connector in the bed that worked with that camper just fine.

Well I forgot to test the lights when we were at the lot, while everything inside works fine, the turn and tail signals are all wonky.

If I turn on the left turn signal, nothing happens.
If I try the right turn signal, all the tail lights blink like the hazards are on.
The brake lights seem sporadic.

I presume something is crossed up or some wires are making contact that shouldn't.

The dealer will let me bring it back to fix it but they don't have shop time for over a week so if I can just reconnect some wires that are connected wrong then that will save me time.

Ideas?
14 REPLIES 14

MuGGzy
Explorer
Explorer
Eeek, ya I am going to be PISSED if their wiring screw up somehow toasts something in the camper itself.
I have an appt today for them to look at it and they say it shouldn't take more than 45-60 mins to fix.. here's hoping.

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Hmm guess I read that into it. Hard to guess without probing...could be hunting for ground or wired if everthing flashing but conjecture at this point. Could also be camper miswired or not factory-

Reminds me though I need to clean mine. Last trip, hook up camper & had to play with it for half an hour to get everthing working, never did get the bu. Corrosion..Been on the roundtoit a bit too long. Good luck to OP
01 Ford F250 4x4 DRW Diesel, 01 Elkhorn 9U
Our camper projects page http://www.ourelkhorn.itgo.com

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
AnEv942 wrote:
Because running/parking lights are working and right signal (is trying) it sounds as though new plug was wired in standard 7 pin configuration instead of Lances configuration. The 2 functions noted are in same locations. But the other connections are WAY different.

The running lights aren't working. They only flash with the right turn signal. The right turn is hooked up to the running lights and not much else it seems.

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
Picture of the plugs would help!!! Just saying!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
I was just looking at dia. and if truck was put into reverse, (lance wired plug into standard wired 7 pin recepatacle) Left tail would come on-
But I noted would also be pluggun in trucks charge line into campers ground:E... (Bottom right plug into top left recep. pic- I assume you have a blown fuse)

AnEv942
Nomad
Nomad
Because running/parking lights are working and right signal (is trying) it sounds as though new plug was wired in standard 7 pin configuration instead of Lances configuration. The 2 functions noted are in same locations. But the other connections are WAY different.

Multi meter (or light on a wire) shouldn't be difficult to rewire correctly or test to verify. Surprised if miswired not jacking up trailer or blowing fuses. IF you cant get to it Id run camper unplugged? Hopefully you wont need to go anywhere with trailer disconnected. I wouldn't go far without lights.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I know you're expecting your dealer to warranty this and I'd be on their @ss that they can't fix their shatty work in a timely manner, but any decent repair shop or trailer place can figure this out.
Trailer wiring is about a 3 or 4 on a 10 scale of electrical complexity.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Well if you're pulling a trailer with good lights and your running lights work on the camper then nothing to worry about for the time being.
you still didn't say if the new plug is on the old wires in place of the old plug or if it's totally new wiring connected to ?
Sporadic brake light means a short somewhere probably. Are you sure it's only working sometimes?
The turn signal/ brake light issue sounds like they tapped new wires into the individual tail lights incorrectly.
Yes it could be as simple as switching a couple wires around but if you're not willing to open up and insect what you have then it will not get fixed.
There are diagrams that show which color/position on the different plugs is for which lighting functions.
Real difficult to trouble shoot elect issues over the Internet without detailed info.

MuGGzy
Explorer
Explorer
truck has been with us a while and we had a different Northstar camper that used the "blade" style 7 pole plug and that worked fine. It looks like the dealer put a new smaller (maybe 1" across?) port in the bed and the new camper is plugged into that.

I am just not sure if the wiring from my truck's OEM hardness to the new port is mixed up, or the wiring from the camper to the plug is crossed up.

The problem is we have a camping trip scheduled this weekend and the dealer can't get it in and fixed in time, so instead of me potentially making it worse, I guess we'll rely on the lights of my trailer for this trip and get it to the dealer when we get back. I was just hoping that the symptoms (blinker works as hazards) might be an easy "OH your white and green wires are mixed up" kind of fix. I guess not. 😉

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
My Lance has another small plug, its either for a rear camara or ? ,I forget. You sure your on the right plug?

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
In the meantime you could try these.... http://www.harborfreight.com/12-volt-magnetic-towing-light-kit-69626-8847.html

Although you may have to find a different means of fastening as the rear bumper is most likely aluminum.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
The truck plug shouldn't power anything inside the camper when the truck is off so trailer wiring shouldn't affect it.
If the old plug worked fine before for sure then they messed up the wiring to the new plug. They just put a different style plug in the bed right, same wiring?
Or if it's a new to you camper, is the camper wiring messed up?
If you want to fix it yourself you need to know which prong powers what and be handy with a multimeter or at least a test light?

MarkTwain
Explorer
Explorer
MuGGzy wrote:
200? Lance truck camper with the little round plug. We just got it back from the dealer after having a hitch and tie downs installed and they put a new round bed liner plug in for this new lance plug. Our previous camper used a big round "blade" connector and there is a connector in the bed that worked with that camper just fine.

Well I forgot to test the lights when we were at the lot, while everything inside works fine, the turn and tail signals are all wonky.

If I turn on the left turn signal, nothing happens.
If I try the right turn signal, all the tail lights blink like the hazards are on.
The brake lights seem sporadic.

I presume something is crossed up or some wires are making contact that shouldn't.

The dealer will let me bring it back to fix it but they don't have shop time for over a week so if I can just reconnect some wires that are connected wrong then that will save me time.

Ideas?

An alternative, go to your local Uhall trailer rental business and ask them to look at it and fix it if they know what the problem is.

fourscoot
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like the wiring wasn't installed correctly to me. For the sporadic brake light, I would start by checking the connector and ground. This link is the one I used to wire my Lance 185s. Hope this help.

Lance Plug