cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUCCESS removing frozen lock nuts on HappiJac turnbuckles

hedgehopper
Explorer
Explorer
For the first time since we bought our camper several years ago and had it installed on our truck, I tried to loosen the lock nuts on the HappiJac turnbuckles. They won't budge. Any suggestions on how to break them loose?

I'd like to take the rig back to the dealer and have them break the nuts loose (because they overtightened them?). But the dealer is in Washington state and we're in Denver.

For Success story, see my 07/17/20 7:37 PM post below.
20 REPLIES 20

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Dick_B wrote:
Impact wrench?

Nope, it's a jam nut on a long threaded stud with a hook on the end, hooked to the truck.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Impact wrench?
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
x2 on PBBlaster and leave it on at least overnight.
Than, after successful removal. wipe off aggressive penetrant and use dry lubricant.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
If it’s froze on, you may round off the nut with a crescent hammer.
Get ya a line wrench for the jam nut. Open end wrench on the body. If it don’t go and penetrating oil hasn’t worked, then heat the jam nut with a Mapp gas. Use another pair of wrenches as cheater bars (slide a box wrench over the end of the other wrenches) and let er rip.

Then oil your nutz!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
pent oil let sit a day then some heat. helps if you have bubba give them a twsit.

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
If you are referring to the spring-loaded cylinders, the HappiJacs have been on my camper for ~14 years and they are rusty. they get removed only once or twice each year. A couple squirts of PB Blaster over a couple days, and then a pair of 3/4 open end wrenches placed closely together so you can grab them and 'make a fist' has always freed the top nut for me. Once loose, I've also chased the threads with a die and greased the threads on assembly.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5