cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitable TT for BMW X5 tow vehicle

Kikster
Explorer
Explorer
Moving from tent camping to TT. We'd like to get some insight into what we should consider for max dry weight and best manufacturer choice for weekend type camping. We would like enough sleeping spots for 4-5. We don't know what a reasonable budget should be and might consider a used TT. Does anyone have suggestions?
28 REPLIES 28

BroncosFan
Explorer
Explorer
Live to Cook and your Hubby 6,3 I'm not sure you will enjoy being hunched over the low counter top on the trailmanor. Have to step inside one for sure. Be sure and check youtube to make sure you will want your face in a cassette toilet when you dump it. Not for everyone.

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
myredracer wrote:
You seem quite proud of the fact that you tow so much over the rating. I'd just hope you don't have to make a sudden emergency stop some day and...... I don't what your statement has to do with what the OP is looking for.

ChooChooMan74 wrote:

My F350 dually towing approx 16000lbs,about 5000lbs over tow rated, felt the 42 fifth wheel race car trailer. It also felt the who knows how heavy ball mount tow behind trailer. And, it also felt my 5000lb travel trailer at the time. My 9000 foot train, I can feel when the slack adjusts. Towing something is meant to be felt.

Maybe you should try to drive a rig like mine. Actually, I am quite comfortable driving it. I admit, it isnt my old 91 dually. You know what, I can do u turns like you cannot believe.
Dude, are you talking about 1995 when every race team was towing like this or are you talking about today with my Jeep?
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
I have owned two TrailManors, both late-models, and love them! If you go new, they are pricey, but worth it, in my opinion. If you go used, then you will likely have the recirculating toilet. But, the new models all have an option of having a cassette toilet (6-gal capacity), if you want. I like my cassette.

But, to the TrailManor forum for more input on TrailManors.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If you want the ability to occasionally sleep more people, a hybrid trailer might be good. If you can fold out the tent portion(s) only when desired but leave them in when you camp alone, it could be pretty convenient.

I would keep the trailer length under 23'-24'. I used to tow a 23' TT with a 111" wheelbase Mercury Mountaineer, and until I got a sway control hitch it felt very unstable. Now I tow a 16' with my 108" Highlander and it feels just fine without sway control.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You seem quite proud of the fact that you tow so much over the rating. I'd just hope you don't have to make a sudden emergency stop some day and...... I don't what your statement has to do with what the OP is looking for.

ChooChooMan74 wrote:

My F350 dually towing approx 16000lbs,about 5000lbs over tow rated, felt the 42 fifth wheel race car trailer. It also felt the who knows how heavy ball mount tow behind trailer. And, it also felt my 5000lb travel trailer at the time. My 9000 foot train, I can feel when the slack adjusts. Towing something is meant to be felt.

Maybe you should try to drive a rig like mine. Actually, I am quite comfortable driving it. I admit, it isnt my old 91 dually. You know what, I can do u turns like you cannot believe.

djsamuel
Nomad
Nomad
Have a Camplite 21BHS and really like it. They have several smaller and lighter models. You can check them out at http://livinlite.com/camplite-models.php .

2013 Camplite 21BHS Trailer, Ram 1500 Tow Vehicle

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
MitchF150 wrote:
I have a 22' trailer that sleeps 2. It weighs #5000 and I tow it with an F150 and you know it's back there... Could not imagine towing it with a short wheelbase SUV...

2015 Rockwood Roo 183

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sounds like you are looking for a trailer that can sleep at least 4 adults? I have a 22' trailer that sleeps 2. It weighs #5000 and I tow it with an F150 and you know it's back there... Could not imagine towing it with a short wheelbase SUV...

I wish you luck in your quest and with a vehicle that has no factory 'tow package', you really aren't going to find anything that has the 'wants' you have for a trailer..

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Kikster
Explorer
Explorer
Good things to think about! We have a 2009 X5 6 cylinder. We have grown kids and grand kids to consider. My husband is 6'3", so we need to consider interior height as well. We like beach camping and sometimes it gets pretty chilly and windy. We probably won't be going long distances, but we do live in parched Cali where it gets pretty hot inland in the summer. We would like to accommodate friends so we don't want something too small, but not too large for maintaining and hauling. We live to cook and I've seen some (I think) TTs that have pullout outdoor kitchen. Certainly will consider used, but it seems like the under 20 feet and lite weight are scarce. It also seems like the dealers post high prices for new and used! Is it like buying a car??

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Kikster wrote:
Moving from tent camping to TT. We'd like to get some insight into what we should consider for max dry weight and best manufacturer choice for weekend type camping. We would like enough sleeping spots for 4-5. We don't know what a reasonable budget should be and might consider a used TT. Does anyone have suggestions?

You don't say what type of TT you want. A standard "box" style? What about something along the lines of an R-Pod? Good for SUVs. They have a surprising amount of space in them for their size. We camped next to one last summer with 2 adults, 2 teenagers AND a dog. Low-ish tongue weights. Interesting styling and look kinda s*xy.

If you have kids, they often would rather sleep in a tent outside so you may not have to have one with more sleeping space for older teenagers.

Maybe buying a used one is a good idea. It's always possible you find that the one you buy is a too small and you want to upgrade from that. Our first TT, a 20' with no slide only lasted one year before we decided it was too small for just the two of us. Also, a new TT will depreciate a lot in the first year or two and they can take a while to sell.

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChooMan74 wrote:

The only advice I have is the hitches on those are more designed for European trailers without a WDH.

This is a good point. When I was looking at the VW Touareg TDI, VW said NOT to use a WDH. But the receiver was rated at 700# tongue weight "carrying" (not "distributing") as long as you used the very short shank ball hitch sold by VW.

I recall one person wondering if he could add friction anti-sway bars without using a WDH. He could, as they do this commonly in Europe and now have electronic anti sway systems as well.

Apparently other non-NA SUV manufacturers also say not to use a WDH. But many people do ...
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
ChooChoo - you make some good points. However the advice from those of us who tend to discourage towing at-limit RVs with shorter wheelbase smaller tow vehicles is based on (a) experience and (b) towing in ALL conditions you might encounter on the road.

I am not familiar with terrain in Pennsylvania but a good match TV-RV is assumed to be that combo that is not only good on flat terrain with little winds and 18-wheeler traffic.

High cross winds, 18-wheeler bow and tail pressure areas, apparent additional RV mass due to aerodynamic drag, and so forth are issues that can impact adversely on any rig, and smaller vehicles are more susceptible - the first two contributing to instability and the tail-wagging-the-dog tendency for those because of their shorter wheelbases.

Just my 2 cents based on actual experience.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
Let me see, when I first started, I was told that I can't tow anything larger than a small popup. Well, my 22 foot hybrid does quite fine at 60MPH through Pennsylvania. Under all ratings except TV GVW... 100lbs over there.

Take all advice here with a grain of salt. The only advice I have is the hitches on those are more designed for European trailers without a WDH.
2015 Rockwood Roo 183

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Could you please tell the Forum what model and year your X5 is? What engine does it have? They do change things occasionally.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton