cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Supporting camper with cinder blocks??

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
For my 2008 Lance 1181, is it appropriate to store the camper on cinder blocks on all four corners, with a 2x8 across the blocks, so the bottom of the camper is supported?
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ LBCC DRW
2008 Lance 1181
2021 Thunder Jet Alexis Pro 22.
23 REPLIES 23

StirCrazy
Navigator
Navigator
SS_Sean wrote:
For my 2008 Lance 1181, is it appropriate to store the camper on cinder blocks on all four corners, with a 2x8 across the blocks, so the bottom of the camper is supported?

I use a 4x4 across them and a few 2x4s to make it level but yy that will work. I am thinking of making woden saw horse type stands only because im old and dont like hauling 12 cinder blocks every time I take it on or off haha

Steve
2014 F350 6.7 Platinum
2016 Cougar 330RBK
1991 Slumberqueen WS100

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I used to put our AF camper on horses with plywood under, during storage periods, with only light pressure on the jacks.
Then I didnโ€™t once, then we camped in it, off the truck ( no supports), then I realized it doesnโ€™t need anything under it, unless you want to increase the stability of it when the jacks are fairly extended.
However Iโ€™m sure itโ€™s less stress on the jack mounting points to support it under the floor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dieseltruckdriv
Explorer II
Explorer II
K Mac wrote:
Just make sure the cells (holes) are vertical as in the Spectra pic. :
Exactly! That way they could probably hold a house up. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2000 F-250 7.3 Powerstroke
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L

K_Mac
Explorer
Explorer
Just make sure the cells (holes) are vertical as in the Spectra pic. :

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I like RR ties. They can be cut to any length and they will not harm the frame.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

SS_Sean
Explorer
Explorer
specta wrote:

That's what I store mine on and just let the jack down until they barely touch the ground.

Not so sure I'd want my jacks supporting the camper all thru the winter.

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm talking about right there...
2019 Chevrolet 3500HD LTZ LBCC DRW
2008 Lance 1181
2021 Thunder Jet Alexis Pro 22.

specta
Explorer
Explorer

That's what I store mine on and just let the jack down until they barely touch the ground.

Not so sure I'd want my jacks supporting the camper all thru the winter.
Kenny
1996 Jayco 376FB Eagle Series TT
1997 Jayco 246FB Eagle Series TT
1976 Ford F-250 4wd Mercury Marauder 410 - 4V
Regular cabs. The best looking trucks.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are cinder blocks that will do just fine for many years. Then there are cinder blocks... Iโ€™d avoid them. Supported just on the corners? I wouldnโ€™t.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

notsobigjoe
Nomad III
Nomad III
I have a 2006 1181 and have always left it on the jacks. I have never been concerned with this as it was built this way. Of course many do and there are many contraptions to do so. I used to store my coachman ranger on blocks and wood but the weight was much less. A point to consider though is when the camper is sitting in your truck the entire weight of the camper is supported by the entire length of the truck bed with the exception of the overhang. Just a thought. Good luck!
Joe