cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suspension upgrade??

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
I have a suspension conundrum. I would like to minimize sway with the Bigfoot. No big issue on 2 trips...Maryland to Houston and Houston to Broken Bow, OK. But getting into some high winds out west could get interesting. I also have a 5th wheel. Both are loading the truck about the same..3200-3400#. Both sag the rear of the truck 3".
I'm looking at Firestone Work Rite bags (not airbags). I think they would help with the sway. But...I'm already a bit nose high with the 5th. If the rear of the truck doesn't sag I will be even more nose high.
Anyone have a guess how much the truck will sag with the Firestones? I haven't tried their consumer help yet. I suppose I could call eTrailer and get their opinion.
Otherwise it's more than double the price for a Bigwig sway bar. Or get airbags. Or get the Work rite bags and take them off for the 5th. Or maybe TorkLift Stable loads? Or my default decision...do nothing.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive
43 REPLIES 43

TxGearhead
Explorer
Explorer
Great discussion. Thanks to all who took the time to write their opinions.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
You're not disagreeing with me, you're agreeing 🙂
I said the weight is shifting forward on hard braking whether the suspension is stiff enough to resist the squat or not. I mean, many will say I don't know squat, but..
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Burning man,
I have to disagree with your assessment because you used a static model. In motion, hard braking does transfer weight to the front and the resultant compression of the front suspension. How do I know this? A few times when installing the camper on the truck, I missed getting it all the way to the front rubber bumpers/snubbers. I only needed 2 or 3 inches forward and had already removed my jax. So, what to do? I sped up down the lane to about 10 mph, making sure i was on the flat and slammed on the brakes. What happened? Two things: The camper slid forward with the rear edge lifting slightly, even on that sticky, thin mat. The overhead sleeping part dipped about 4". The front suspension of the truck compressed and dropped down also then rebounded. Job done. I noticed over the years that the wear on the bottom side edges of the floor was getting beat up, much of it by the Lance Camper Guides. I installed 2x2 aluminum "L" strips along the exterior sides of the floor of the box and I'm thinking these made the slide easier and acted as mini skids. jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

54suds
Explorer
Explorer
how a sway bar works link:C

My Jeep Rubicon has remote sway bar disconnects for a reason :B
2021 Chev 6.6 duramax ltz DBL cab,drw,4x/torklift tdn's,
1999 Bigfoot 1011

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
jefe 4x4 wrote:
Emergency braking is one downside as it transfers weight to the front, flimsier suspension.

I think that part isn't accurate, the weight transfers on hard braking whether the front suspension is firm enough to resist squatting or not.
It's the same as the illusion that airbags or other rear suspension aids transfer weight back to the front end, when all they do is shove the rear axle back down away from the frame. The weight is still where it is.

I have actually tested this concept. I put one end of a car on a tow truck and the other end on a scale, then checked the weight as I moved the car from level to a pretty good tilt, maybe 15 degrees or more. There was no appreciable difference.
If you kept lifting until the car was at 45 degrees or more, sure it'd go up but within a relatively slight range of tilt, nada.
It's kinda' like the now-known-to-be-mistaken idea of 1960s "gasser" drag cars that sat nose-high to transfer more weight to the rear end for traction. It takes an extreme angle to really accomplish that.

Bedlam
I'm convinced most of the sway people experience with campers is due to insufficient spring rate. You can use progressive springs to make a little better unloaded ride, but need enough spring under load while the suspension is cycling to reduce sway. Torklift products will preload your existing suspension to get the most out of it and is a good start. If you need more help, you need more spring.

I have to agree about air bags amplifying rebound - As long as you use them as helpers instead of primaries, they can help you. The people pointing out that air ride suspensions work fine, need to realize the suspension system and bags are designed for this application and typically have multi-link bars keeping movement and position under control.

Shocks with proper dampening and rebound will help with sway but their principle purpose is to keep rate of movement under control.

Stabilizer (anti-sway) bars are great on roads but an impediment on uneven surfaces. If you look at large trucks design to haul loads off-road, you will not see heavy stabilizers because articulation is your friend for control and traction when not on an even plane.

Although I think my off-road driving can be tamer than some driveway cutouts, driveways are a good place to observe how different vehicles react. You can see the interaction of the suspension and chassis as hey enter and leave the cutout. I tweak and adjust my off-road toy suspension more often, but have crossed some of my experience between toy and truck (yes, I test some of my changes on driveways).

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
I read these posts from people who have tried air bags, Timbrens, more leaf springs, Stable Loads (or equivalent), thicker anti-sway bars and bigger shocks and want to add my experience. Firstly, there is no free ride when trying to control your load. If you add thicker anti-sway bars it invites the truck frame to twist more, off-road. If you never get off road, then the thickest AS-bar is a good bet. Also, AS-Bars tend to transfer sway if you hit a hole with one wheel instead of letting the suspension absorb the difference. Most of the 'sway' is under the load at the rear axle, so why not make the rear more your solid anchor point and the front axle more your pivot point with less actual twisting of the frame. This is what I've done and it works well. Emergency braking is one downside as it transfers weight to the front, flimsier suspension. My anchors: It's kind of a 3-stage system, dependent on the loading:

I disconnect one side of the rear anti-sway bar when in axle twisting situations, just like the hard core jeepers do. Yes, there is more sway, but you are moving so slowly that you relieve the pressure and won't injure the connection between your tie downs and the truck. Remember, AS-bars add stability on flat, smooth road surfaces, but actually accentuate the sway on uneven surfaces trying to keep the axle parallel to the frame.Remember the ConeHead maxim: "Resistance is futile." I use single stage Pro Comp shocks on the front. Since the load on the front axle does not change much, I don't need adjustable shocks. Im still using Rancho 9K's on the rear, on my 3rd set of free replacements after 15 years, and they do make a difference. When the truck is MT they reside on 1. With the camper on they turn up to the highest setting. They're so old I can't remember how many settings there are. My experience with air bags is not a good one. Air bags, if not shock controlled to the max tend to rebound when you hit a hole adding to the sway. For leveling the rig and a smooth highway ride, I think they are fine if not pumped up too high. I"ve never used Timbrens. No experience. Stable Loads help with anti-sway. It's a good, if expensive way to bring your overloads or secondaries into play sooner. The downside, speaking of no free ride, is they reduce your suspension travel on that axle transferring the twisting motion to the frame or your front suspension. Still, with the camper on, I get approaching no sway in corners on a winding road. Remember too, I have most of the heavy weight down low in the camper and nothing heavy up high, with no air conditioner on the roof. I have tried with and without the small gauge factory AS-bar and with the new rubber parts it works better than with worn out grommets. My loaded 8 leaf suspension ALMOST negated any difference with or without a AS-bar.
In the end, I think a complete rear axle leaf spring replacement with your spring rate in mind is probably the best solution if you have leaf springs and keep the camper on most of the time. Nibbling around the edges of the problem can be an expensive albeit fun search. Being in the constant, "Build" mode with a TC is a curse. I notice that my neighbor's new RAM, air suspension 2-series has Currie-like anti-sway levers on the rear axle. No leaf springs. Which brings me to the sad reality of what I've just written: time has marched on and left me behind with my old values and observations. So, take the above with a grain of salt if you have a less-than 5 year old truck. Good luck.
jefe
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

Jgwoods
Explorer
Explorer
I just added the Helwig front sway bar to my 2013 F350DRW to go along with the rear swaybar that has been on there for 3 years. The front bar made for additional control, after all you hit the bump or hole up front first and it starts the tilt/sway which transmits to the rear. A stiff rear swaybar handles the rocking easier if the front is steady. Overall my rig with the Helwig bars for sway control and a new set of Billstein 5100 from ride control its a winner.

Oregun
Nomad
Nomad
Grit dog wrote:
Oregun wrote:
My truck has air bags with a single fill, I wondered about that but it hasn't been a problem. I guess my truck/camper is well balanced. I just add a little air to level out the rear of the truck.

Yes you're not relying on much air then. Isolating the bags though will help with body roll because then you're not squeezing air out of the one that's compressing into the one that is expanding.

What you are saying makes sense. Wish I had a way to adjust the springs to get level. My previous truck had helper springs and I could just adjust them to the tension/height I wanted.

sonuvabug
Explorer
Explorer
I used Sumo Springs as my solution for rear end lift, better sway control and additional carrying capacity (actual but not legally recognized). Here's my thread with my story.

Sumo Springs Solved My Suspension Woes

~ Bugjr ~
2007 Adventurer 90fws Truck Camper
2001 FORD F250 SuperCab; 8' box; 4x4, 7.3l diesel, rear Sumo Springs

burningman
Explorer
Explorer
Oh, you mean your trailer is nose high, I thought you meant the truck... now it makes sense.
Disregard my earlier comment!

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Agreed with Wayne, sway bar will be the best help for your anticipated issue.
As far as the 5ver running nose high. If you've already adjusted the hitch and pin box to their max to lower it, then any mod that helps with weight carrying will make that issue worse. Ie less sag.
Now if your 5ver axles are leaf spring it's not hurting either axle as the 2 axles pivot to keep the load even. If you have torsion sprung axles, figure out how to get the trailer level because it's putting more load on the rear axle.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Oregun wrote:
My truck has air bags with a single fill, I wondered about that but it hasn't been a problem. I guess my truck/camper is well balanced. I just add a little air to level out the rear of the truck.

Yes you're not relying on much air then. Isolating the bags though will help with body roll because then you're not squeezing air out of the one that's compressing into the one that is expanding.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Reddog1
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:

Firestone Work-Rites are like Timbrens or Sumo Springs - They are not air bags. Firestone calls their bags Ride-Rites.
TxGearhead wrote:

"I'm looking at Firestone Work Rite bags not airbags). ... "

I did not understand he was referring to Firestone's Work Rite Bump Stops. I do not see the word "bag" in the name.

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke