Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUV Tow Vehicle Search - for 35 ft TT

jlrmfc21
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,

We are possibly looking at getting a newer Tow Vehicle to replace our 2002 Suburban 2500 8.1, 4.10 (max tow is 12k). This is my wife's daily driver (she works from home, so not a huge deal on gas mileage) and we are looking at options to get something newer to tow our 2018 Jayco Whitehawk 29BH (Unloaded weight is 7200lbs).

From what I've heard and my research, there is NOT an SUV built today that will safely and comfortably tow my travel trailer. I believe the max tow I have seen is the Ford Expedition that will tow 9300 lbs; but that is a 2 wheel drive. It seems that the Cadillac Escalade has plenty of engine - HP: 440 and TQ: 460 - which is more than my suburban, but it's rated at right around 8k. I believe I need tow capacity of atleast 10k.

Anyone have any insights of folks that have needs for an SUV that has a tow capacity of atleast 10k lbs. What do you recommend?
44 REPLIES 44

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I personally would not pay much attention to the Transit wagons artificially low tow rating for a family of say four to six.

I would pull a 7,000 GVWR TT without issue with a Transit Wagon.

I am sure it would be mountains more stable than the Jeep cheeokees I see pulling 6,500-7,000 lbs trailers.

Build a good class IV receiver hitch for it and set the WD up right. All the pieces are there for a great towing platform.

Ymmv, do it at your own risk. Etc etc etc

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

rjstractor
Nomad
Nomad
parker.rowe wrote:
stsmark wrote:
What about a Transit 350 with the dually rear end and an Ecoboost?

They have lots of payload, but a super low tow rating. Under 4K. Cargo models are only 6300, but who wants to pack a family into a van with no windows?

Not sure why they have such a low tow rating, unless I missed some magic configuration.

I think it has to do with duty cycle. Since the Transit is considered a commercial truck the Ecoboost engine is derated in comparison to the F150 version. With less horsepower comes a lower GCWR. I would say that there is a good chance that an Ecoboost Transit will perform on par with a 6.0 V8 Express when towing, despite the lower GCWR. What is unknown is how the engine would perform and cool under conditions like towing on long grades and high temperatures.
2017 VW Golf Alltrack
2000 Ford F250 7.3

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
carringb wrote:
The Transit Wagon actually does have a lower GCWR than the cargo vans, even though mechanically they are the same. The only thing I can think of, is maybe the rear Air-Conditioning adds enough heat load to cause the lower rating.

Probably has more to do with registration costs. They keep it under a certain gross weight so people wanting a regular passenger van don’t have to pay extra to register it. Just guessing, no idea really.

You can also only get the 350 version in the high top van as far as I can tell.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
The Transit Wagon actually does have a lower GCWR than the cargo vans, even though mechanically they are the same. The only thing I can think of, is maybe the rear Air-Conditioning adds enough heat load to cause the lower rating.
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
I'll have to verify, but I recall the Transit wagon tow ratings assume the seats are occupied. So if you had a wagon with just a few folks, and light gear, your tow rating could be higher?
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

parker_rowe
Explorer
Explorer
stsmark wrote:

They have lots of payload, but a super low tow rating. Under 4K. Cargo models are only 6300, but who wants to pack a family into a van with no windows?

Not sure why they have such a low tow rating, unless I missed some magic configuration.
2015 Starcraft TravelStar 239TBS 6500 GVWR
1997 GMC Suburban K2500 7.4 Vortec/4.10
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000

stsmark
Explorer
Explorer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
^ Yes one can still get GMT 900 3/4 ton Burbs, but they're about as scarce as hens teeth and the low mile ones are getting even fewer and far between.
That's the best option available in SUV form though if one has to have newer amenities than the GMT800s and Excursions.

Still think one or 2 of the big 3 could clean house for a couple years with a HD SUV, even moreso if diesel as well. The well is empty for HD suvs, time to replenish it a bit.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

intheburbs
Explorer
Explorer
8600-lb trailer, 900-lb family of 5. We've taken this rig up into the Rockies multiple times. Do we win races? No Is it dead-nuts stable and the easiest trailer I've ever towed? Yes.

At Powder River Pass, elevation 9666 feet.

Weigh slip, hitched and unhitched, family and gear on board:
2008 Suburban 2500 3LT 3.73 4X4 "The Beast"
2013 Springdale 303BHS, 8620 lbs
2009 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali (backup TV, hot rod)
2016 Jeep JKU Sahara in Tank, 3.23 (hers)
2010 Jeep JKU Sahara in Mango Tango PC, 3.73 (his)

Dadoffourgirls
Explorer
Explorer
mrgrim007 wrote:
We were thinking an Express/Savana 3500 would be our next TV as well. How do you feel about the lower GCWR (16,000 for the van vs 19,000 for the 8.1/4.10 burb)?

With the lower GCWR, I know I would be close if everybody went. I also believe that the Express is approx 600 lb lighter to start. Therefore, in all the trade-offs, I decided that would be the one. I suspect it has to do with braking, but I feel that the Express brakes are better than my 01 brakes, that had new pads and rotors three times.
Dad of Four Girls
Wife
Employee of GM, all opinions are my own!
2017 Express Ext 3500 (Code named "BIGGER ED" by daughters)
2011 Jayco Jayflight G2 32BHDS

bartlettj
Explorer
Explorer
I just went from a Tahoe to a crew cab GMC 2500HD with a cap. The interior of the truck is nicer and roomier, sound damping is the same. With a power rear window and sunroof ventilation is great. The dog likes the truck bed. Only downside is the manuverability in a parking lot since the truck is 20 feet long and does not turn as sharp as the Tahoe. Ride is stiffer but better damped in the truck.

normal_dave
Explorer
Explorer
Yep, Thanks, that was the one, I looked everywhere for it, just couldn't remember. It has a special sort of ugly that could grow on you after awhile. Wonder what kind of tow rig it would make?
1995 Ford E-150 Club Wagon Chateau Van
2012 Cargo Trailer Conversion Camper/Hauler

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
normal_dave wrote:
carringb, thanks for this update.

While you're at it, I recall you posted a similar E-450 upfitter rig for passenger duty setup for outfitters? Can you re-post that one as well?

Are you refering of the Turtle Top Van Terra? This is becoming very popular with tour companies and outfitters. And can be had for less than some trim levels of the new Expedition.

2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

BenK
Explorer
Explorer
Another "if money is no object"....check this one out

$2 million Ford custom is the 'King' of SUVs

Just spec out the number of seats and how lux those seats need be...

-Ben Picture of my rig
1996 GMC SLT Suburban 3/4 ton K3500/7.4L/4:1/+150Kmiles orig owner...
1980 Chevy Silverado C10/long bed/"BUILT" 5.7L/3:73/1 ton helper springs/+329Kmiles, bought it from dad...
1998 Mazda B2500 (1/2 ton) pickup, 2nd owner...
Praise Dyno Brake equiped and all have "nose bleed" braking!
Previous trucks/offroaders: 40's Jeep restored in mid 60's / 69 DuneBuggy (approx +1K lb: VW pan/200hpCorvair: eng, cam, dual carb'w velocity stacks'n 18" runners, 4spd transaxle) made myself from ground up / 1970 Toyota FJ40 / 1973 K5 Blazer (2dr Tahoe, 1 ton axles front/rear, +255K miles when sold it)...
Sold the boat (looking for another): Trophy with twin 150's...
51 cylinders in household, what's yours?...