cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SUV tow vehicle

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
After selling my truck and camper I have not found a motor home that I like so I was thinking of upgrading my Dodge Journey to a SUV that I could tow a small trailer for this summer till I find a motor home I like. Saw a nice and affordable 22' Arctic Fox that weighs in at under 5,000 lbs, a Springdale that is under 4,000. Really do not want anything huge, just a nice little trailer for one and sometimes my son.

At the same time I want a SUV that still gets decent MPG, I am currently getting around 20mpg with the Journey and would like as good if possible for the tow vehicle, also want a SUV as I like having my camera gear in the warmth of the vehicle in the winter. 4x4 not needed but would take it if I had to.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks
9 REPLIES 9

sky_free
Explorer
Explorer
My 2012 VW Touareg TDI gets about 14.5 mpg towing a 4,500 lb TT. It's essentially the same option as the Jeep Grand Cherokee. Unfortunately you can't buy one new right now due to dieselgate, but maybe after June 21st. You can find them used.

Touareg reliability is excellent. No problems with 103K miles and counting. Best vehicle we ever owned and plan to drive it into the ground. We have an Escape trailer on order we plan to tow with it. If I can't get another TDI Touareg after this one is done I'll probably go over to Jeep, but I am scared about reliability as others have mentioned. Lots of stories out there.
2017 Escape 17B, 2012 VW Touareg

Olli
Explorer
Explorer
Speaking only from my personal experience, after two trips.

Kia Sorento tows our K-Z Classic 16BH very well. This trailer is only 2700 lbs gross weight, but since Kia can't take much tongue weight, I don't think it could handle much bigger trailer. The small trailer though, tows very well. You obviously notice the weight when accelerating and notice the "2 sheets of plywood effect" when driving into headwind, but I don't find it too bad. Average fuel consumption has been 15-16L/100 km while towing, so almost double vs. non-towing.

Having said all that, I wouldn't want to tow 4000 lbs trailer with Sorento.

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:
I would suggest a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Ecodiesel or the Hemi. These SUV's have 7,400 lbs tow rating and are very capable. The V6 Pentastar has a tow rating of 6,200 lbs. These Jeeps get 26-30 mpg highway (not towing)

Talked to a man this weekend who was towing his 5,000 ish lb Airstream with a Pentastar Grand Cherokee. The rig looked like a good match and he said it was a "good riding" combo. He was using a standard weight distribution hitch without any sway control.

If you want to spend a few more bucks the Mercedes GL450 has a good tow rating too.

There are several SUV's with about 5,000 lb tow ratings. Here is a short list

Nissan Pathfinder
Kia Sorento V6 AWD
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Honda Pilot
Hyundai Santa Fe

If you need more tow rating the best choices are going to be the Chevy Suburban (I got 22 MPG out of a 2015 rental on the highway) or the Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator Ecoboost twins.

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah

They have been pretty good here as tow vehicles. Only problem and a big fly in the ointment, is terrible reliability, due too mechanical and software issues. As a result Jeep and Chrysler are rapidly exiting the Australian market.
Jeep had two CRD engines of 3 litres, the current VM Motori one and the Mercedes unit, both pretty similar in performance.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
If you're looking at the Grand Cherokee, also look at the Dodge Durango. It's the same vehicle with a slightly stretched wheelbase to allow for the third row of seats. Back when we bought ours, the deals were better on the Durango for some reason. Don't know if that still holds true.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thanks will take a look at the suggestions.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Tahoe/Yukon Hybrid would be great for you, allowing similar 20mpg fuel economy all around and enough tow rating for 5k dry TT.

Jeep Grand Cherokee makes for a decent TV for under under 5k dry and a really good toad once you get a MH. Get the Hemi or Ecodiesel.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I tow with a 4X4 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee with a V6 engine. I just got back from a 2,300 mile road trip and averaged 11 to 13 MPG while towing. I average around 21 MPG when not towing. I pull a Micro Lite 21DS TT.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Agree the Suburban or Expedition would be the best choice for towing.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would suggest a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the 3.0 Ecodiesel or the Hemi. These SUV's have 7,400 lbs tow rating and are very capable. The V6 Pentastar has a tow rating of 6,200 lbs. These Jeeps get 26-30 mpg highway (not towing)

Talked to a man this weekend who was towing his 5,000 ish lb Airstream with a Pentastar Grand Cherokee. The rig looked like a good match and he said it was a "good riding" combo. He was using a standard weight distribution hitch without any sway control.

If you want to spend a few more bucks the Mercedes GL450 has a good tow rating too.

There are several SUV's with about 5,000 lb tow ratings. Here is a short list

Nissan Pathfinder
Kia Sorento V6 AWD
Chevy Traverse
Ford Explorer
Honda Pilot
Hyundai Santa Fe

If you need more tow rating the best choices are going to be the Chevy Suburban (I got 22 MPG out of a 2015 rental on the highway) or the Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator Ecoboost twins.

Thanks and good luck!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~