Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Swampy K2 evaporative cooler

5percent
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, All,
We dry camp a lot and are looking for ways to cool areas of our camper to extend our camping rips in summer. Does anyone have experience with the Swampy MightyKool Model K2? Swampy coolers are based in Mesa, AZ. Thanks for your help!
06 Ford F-350 diesel DRW Crew Cab 4X4
06 Bigfoot 25C10.6
9 REPLIES 9

burningman
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you want to build yourself a low-cost and highly field-tested swamp cooler, google "figjam bucket cooler".
2017 Northern Lite 10-2 EX CD SE
99 Ram 4x4 Dually Cummins
A whole lot more fuel, a whole lot more boost.
4.10 gears, Gear Vendors overdrive, exhaust brake
Built auto, triple disc, billet shafts.
Kelderman Air Ride, Helwig sway bar.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
There is a way to avoid mineralization by purging the water.
I have huge evaporative coolers in my house and they have automatic purge pump that drains the water every 6-8 hr of use.
Than distillate water is 89 cents/gal at Walmart.

bitster98
Explorer
Explorer
I have a old six-pac tc I have set up exclusively for dry camping in the desert. I live in southern nm and use it for camping in nm and az. I am into desert gold mining. I put one of the turbokool units on my tc. They work really good provided the humidity is low i.e. Less than 12 percent. You can expect around a 20 degree temp drop from the outside air temp. Low amp draw 4.5 amps , I run mine off the load terminals on my charge controller. 2 - 100 watt panels and 30 amp controller. One very important thing , do not use tap or well water!!!!! The amount of mineralization in the water will have you replacing the filter / cooling media every week. I use a pump up 2.5 gallon bottle to supply water to the unit and only distilled water. Under ideal conditions it uses about 3 gallons a day. I only use it during the day.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II

yblaw
Explorer
Explorer
Yup,,,,We have a K2 model and live in San Diego County. It's a very nice unit; works well in dry SoCal type climates. We cut out a piece of masonite and velcro it to a bedroom window; cut a 4" hole in the masonite and attached a duct fitting; open the window, cover the screen with the masonite, attach the 4" flex hose that comes with the K2 to the duct fitting and to the K2 unit; cools off the bedroom area quite nicely in our Host camper. During the winter, I run it w/o water to produce "white noise" and air flow.....I think it was a very good investment.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
"Swamp coolers" only work in dry climates and require a lot of water. Forget using one for "dry" camping.

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
I purchased one--not that model. As it is winter I have not tested it.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
No knowledge about the cooler model, but educate yourself about evaporation or swamp coolers.
I moved to Las Vegas year ago and had to do it as cooling big house with AC in 124 F weather can get really costly.
So they work excelent in single digit humidity.
Work good in teens of humidity.
Are useless once humidity exceed 30%.
Now I know San Diego has 4 (if not more) climate zones, so any advise has to be location-specific, but from my experience - don't expect too much staying close to the Ocean.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don’t have any experience with that product. But, I will note that you might also want to lower the temperature using sun shade fabric.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member