cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tailgate storage

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
My 2016 Ram 3500 can't have the tailgate on when the 10'2" NL is in the bed. I'm sure that's typical for most people, so there must be a common set of solutions for what to do with the tailgate when not on the truck. I'm currently putting it on a pair of saw horses in the garage, but it's in the way. I'm hoping people can provide some options, links, pictures, etc. for what they have done and maybe what they would do differently.

FWIW, I'm currently leaning towards installing a garage hoist platform so I can raise it to the rafters where it won't block the floor and should be clear of the lights. Any other thoughts that don't involve disposing of it altogether?
39 REPLIES 39

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
The Ford tailgates with the step are really, really heavy. I don't think the RAMs are though. I don't believe the RAMs have the built in step or tailgate opening assist.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

moebedick
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2016 Ford F-250 (steel) with a tailgate that weighs approximately a quarter of a ton. I remove it while citing biblical quotesโ€” St James version,unabridged,uncensored โ€”and teeter to my garage,where I stand it on end on a carpet remnant. Since I am not at home while camping, I have very little reason to be concerned about its taking up space. I am more concerned with finding it where I left it when I return home. Iโ€™m sure its โ€œscrapโ€value would make it attractive to low-lifes,hence, I lock the garage.

bkenobi
Explorer
Explorer
Bedlam wrote:
$10 at Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

Do you have that one installed? I was looking at 1 or 2 of those (depending if I hung it vertical or flat). The ones I was looking at were Amazon, but I'd prefer to see thwm in person to confirm quality of components.

Photomike
Explorer III
Explorer III
I put mine up tight against the fence off the ground, easy enough to make some hangers or a shelf and it is out of the way and will not be sitting in mud or water.
2017 Ford Transit
EVO Electric bike
Advanced Elements Kayaks

Bedlam
$10 at Harbor Freight:

https://www.harborfreight.com/bicycle-lift-95803.html

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

zulu52
Explorer
Explorer
I actually don't have a garage. I have a carport. But If I did have a garage I would make a simple wall mount that would allow me to carry it into the garage and slide it into the wall mount that mimics the way it slides into your truck.
I would make it so I could open it and have a work table and close it so it doesn't take up any room.

I could then have a tailgate party in my garage. But I don't have a garage.

It really is a good idea, wouldn't take much work and would be fun to show off.

Zulu

sljohnson1938
Explorer
Explorer
in the storage shed, leaning against the wall.
1999 Dodge 3500 CTD dually
Ham radio - WU4S

GottaRunGottaCa
Explorer
Explorer
I would use something like a kayak hoist or a motorized garage hoist
Good Luck with your decission.
:C
2016 F350
2019 Heartland Torque TQ-371

sbryan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just lean my tailgate up against a wall in the tack room in our barn. Doesn't take up much room and is out of the way.
Shawn
2013 Ford F350 6.7 CCLB Ruby Red SRW, sway bar, Bilsteins, etc
2007 Cyclone toyhauler, 18,000 GVWR
Northstar Igloo 9.5
https://photos.smugmug.com/photos/i-2J3zF6J/0/M/i-2J3zF6J-M.jpg
US Army retired

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
For now I keep the tailgate in hallway closet, what cost my wife constant whining.
But I do have garage hoist I am using for convertible top. I am selling convertible and plan to use the hoist for tailgate.
Those hoists are expensive to buy if you want them for tailgate, but I bought mine on CL pretty cheap.