cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TC Camper Sealant Questions

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
I am going to seal my entire TC this fall and I have several questions.

I understand that I need the following products. Could you guys confirm or recommend the right product and quantities?
> Geocel ProFlex RV – white. 3 tubes sufficient?
> Geocel ProFlex RV – clear. 3 tubes sufficient?
> Dicor self-leveling lap sealant – white for the roof. What quantity do I need?
> I can’t find Geocel MHRV 2300 anywhere online. Was this product discontinued? Did Geocel ProFlex RV replace it?
> I am not clear on what is a TPO roof, but I don’t think I have that type. I believe that I have aluminum roof. Those of you familiar with my model, am I right? Or, how can I verify it?
> I am planning to wax it and remove oxidation as well. Should I do this before or after sealing it?

Many thanks for your help!

Tony
2004 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW Cummins Diesel H.O. Engine, 6 Spd
2004 Lance 1161, Generac 3.5 LPG Generator
1994 Range Rover Classic LWB
Proud vet of Operations Desert Storm, Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom - USAF Security Forces
19 REPLIES 19

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
I started today after lunch and stopped around 6pm. The right side is ready for the sealant. It took more time to clean everything with Naphta than removing the old sealant, but it looks clean and ready for the next phase. If the weather cooperates as it did today, and depending on how long it takes me to re-seal it, I will probably start getting the left side ready tomorrow. Thank you for great advise and all tips.
Proud vet of Operations Desert Storm, Noble Eagle and Enduring Freedom - USAF Security Forces

weedrancher
Explorer
Explorer
Just re-sealed the top side of my TC. Used three tubes ProFlex white, one tube ProFlex clear, and three tubes Dicor 501. I've used EternaBond tape in the past but after approx 4 years, it is not sticking to the old sealant. A heat gun is your friend when removing old sealant and tape. Do be careful because molten sealant on your skin is no fun:E
2002 Dodge Cummins 4X4,2004 Lance 920,, Airlift suspension, Roadmaster anti-sway bar, TorkLift tie downs, Fastguns, StableLoads

I'm not on Facebook or Twitter. This is as social as I get.

12V_Cummins
Explorer
Explorer
I use silicone on my campers. I do not depend only of the silicone, but more to protect the important secondary seal and it makes the camper look much better. Never had any issues with it and my camper(s) have never leaked.

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Silicone is great for making long lasting rubber bumper stoppers for your swing out door.

If your door ever gets caught in a wind gust you might find out how hard your existing stopper is from years in the sun when you see the nice hole it made in your door.

All you do is make a conical mold out of the cardboard center off a roll of toilet paper. Fill it with silicone, trying not to get any air bubbles. Stick the right size screw in the end and let cure for about 2-3 weeks and wash off cardboard under warm water.

You will have a very soft, very effective, long lasting door stop.

Off topic I know, just don't throw silicone away yet.

MTRhino
Explorer
Explorer
Don't want to hijack your thread but had a friend stay in our yard last night with his new to them 5th wheel. The previous owner had used silicone in a few places and was not very neat about it. We were trying to remove the excess when I grabbed a can of Turtle Wax sticker remover I had. It helped a lot in removing the thin film around the edges and the residue. Just an FYI, now back to your regular scheduled program.
Central Montana
66 Jeep CJ5 (toy)
97 Glastron GS205 inboard boat (toy)
03 Bigfoot 25C9.6 truck camper(toybox)
06 PJ car trailer (toy hauler)
10 Chev 3500 ext-cab longbox (toy hauler)
11 Polaris RZR (toy)
12 Beta 450RR dualsport motorcycle (toy)
Next toy = :h

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
deltabravo wrote:
How much Dicor you need depends on the amount of repairs needed. 3 tubes is a good start, but more might be needed.

Ok. I bought 3 of each. They gave me a 15% discount, which was nice. We'll see how far it will take me.

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
whizbang wrote:
You picked exactly the correct sealants. Dicor and Geocel are the best.

The old Dicor comes off easily with a heat gun. Application of new Dicor is not critical --- just make sure you cover the seams. Gloop it on.

Great! Could you elaborate on how to use the heat gun for this? I have a heat gun and it has 2 settings. If you can explain your technique, it will be very helpful. Thanks!

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
bobndot wrote:
Proflex RV in 'brite white' if you can find it. 'White' tends to yellow.

Ok, the store had it, so I bought it instead of just white. Thanks!

explorer0863
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the great information.

I went to my local RV store today and bought the sealants. Still need to go to HD tomorrow and get the solvents. Weather permitting, I'll start the process tomorrow or Sunday. I wanted to wait until later in the fall because the temperatures are still high these days, but I am all fired up and motivated.

We'll see how much progress I can make this weekend.

Tony

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
All it takes is one time to try to remove silicon to find out why it should not be used.

The owner on a previous camper used it and the only way I could get it off was to physically scrub it off. No solvent (and I tried almost all available) would take it off.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
How much Dicor you need depends on the amount of repairs needed. 3 tubes is a good start, but more might be needed.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
You picked exactly the correct sealants. Dicor and Geocel are the best.

The old Dicor comes off easily with a heat gun. Application of new Dicor is not critical --- just make sure you cover the seams. Gloop it on.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Desertboy wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
I just went through mine. Did most of the roof with eternabond tape. I used some dicor self leveling also on the roof. The eternabond seems great but I will be interested in seeing how well it stays stuck in place. The dicor seemed to work very well also. I used sikaflex for everything else. I cleaned where I was caulking with mineral spirits then cleaned off with water before re caulking. Remember don't use any silicon anywhere on the outside of your camper.

whats wrong with silicon? I haven't used any im just curious what it does or what happens to it.

Here are a few reasons why not to use silicon on an rv .
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f55/why-not-silicone-43714.html

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Desertboy wrote:
dave17352 wrote:
I just went through mine. Did most of the roof with eternabond tape. I used some dicor self leveling also on the roof. The eternabond seems great but I will be interested in seeing how well it stays stuck in place. The dicor seemed to work very well also. I used sikaflex for everything else. I cleaned where I was caulking with mineral spirits then cleaned off with water before re caulking. Remember don't use any silicon anywhere on the outside of your camper.

whats wrong with silicon? I haven't used any im just curious what it does or what happens to it.

Nothing will stick to silicon. So once it cracks or pulls away you can't go over it.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!