cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

TC Fitted Cover

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have a new TC coming and I'm thinking of getting one of those shaped/fitted covers. Giant tarp I've been using on the old one is a pain, has worn paint off the edges of the corner alum, the PVC center frame won't work on the new roof, and the tarps only last a season or two.

I had one that came with the current camper but it wasn't well made and was torn and worn after two seasons.

So anyone have one that's good quality and durable they like?

Probably end up build a barn for storing the TC, but in the meantime....

New TC is a NL 10-2LE.

Thanks for the help!
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.
26 REPLIES 26

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bert the Welder wrote:
billtex wrote:
You could try a pool float -the type used to prop up pool covers for the winter. I have tried various things to prevent puddling. In the end I decided as long as there are no sharp edges poking at the cover it didnโ€™t really matter.
To be honest the โ€œtyvekโ€ type covers lasted me 5-6 years. Weโ€™ll see how long the Goldline lasts.

I'll look those up, thanks.
Thinking about it, the roof on the old one has roof/wall seams, new one is an NL with rounded fiberglass. So less likely to be an issue.
To me 5-6 yrs from a "Tyvek" one sounds good! I suppose a key factor is one storage environment vs another. Local weather, UV exposure, junk falling off trees, etc, etc, etc.....
I guess the weight of the heavier material is a factor as well. I ain't getting younger or stronger. LOL. I'll be interested in how you find wrangling the new one.

Paid less for the Goldline then the โ€œtyvekโ€. As far as weight, not really an issue. I lay out the cover on the ground in front of camper. Tie a rope around the rear tie strap on cover, toss rope up on roof. Climb on roof, pull rope and then cover up and over front of camper, slowly working my way back. When most of cover is on roof I climb down TC ladder. With step ladder I pull rest of cover over rear of camper then go around with step ladder and check everything. I lay down any antennaโ€™s, etc that are on roof. I removed the maggie racks for the winter. Once you figure out a system, itโ€™s not bad. I can cover the camper in 10-15 mins alone.
Again, time will tell if the Goldline holds up, but it certainly appears to be good quality.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
You could try a pool float -the type used to prop up pool covers for the winter. I have tried various things to prevent puddling. In the end I decided as long as there are no sharp edges poking at the cover it didnโ€™t really matter.
To be honest the โ€œtyvekโ€ type covers lasted me 5-6 years. Weโ€™ll see how long the Goldline lasts.

I'll look those up, thanks.
Thinking about it, the roof on the old one has roof/wall seams, new one is an NL with rounded fiberglass. So less likely to be an issue.
To me 5-6 yrs from a "Tyvek" one sounds good! I suppose a key factor is one storage environment vs another. Local weather, UV exposure, junk falling off trees, etc, etc, etc.....
I guess the weight of the heavier material is a factor as well. I ain't getting younger or stronger. LOL. I'll be interested in how you find wrangling the new one.
:h 1998 GMC 2500, 10.5 Okanagan, My better/smarter half, George and Finnegan(APBT), all I need.

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Bert the Welder wrote:
Just had a thought, re the discussion of puddling and snow *****, etc. I wonder if one could stick a beach ball or one of those exercise balls under the cover? Just big enough to give the cover a "peak", roughly in the middle. Maybe two if one isn't enough.
Ideally, you would have a long inflation tube on it so you could inflate it after the cover was on, so its' not in the way. A long sausage shape inflatable tube going end to end would be ideal, but not many RV's have a clear space down the center of the roof.
Just a thought.....

2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just had a thought, re the discussion of puddling and snow *****, etc. I wonder if one could stick a beach ball or one of those exercise balls under the cover? Just big enough to give the cover a "peak", roughly in the middle. Maybe two if one isn't enough.
Ideally, you would have a long inflation tube on it so you could inflate it after the cover was on, so its' not in the way. A long sausage shape inflatable tube going end to end would be ideal, but not many RV's have a clear space down the center of the roof.
Just a thought.....

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
billtex wrote:
Wanted to post an update; finally got the Goldline cover on. After a painful experience with the ordering process/customer service (for an in-stock cover?). It took two months to receive it, of course we had snow by then. After a warm, rainy Christmas Day all the snow is gone so we put the cover on.
I have to say the cover is very good quality and we are pleased with it. It is a much heavier gauge (nylon?) versus the โ€œtyvekโ€ like covers we have used in the past. So time will tell, it will soon snow again and that will be the real test. So far it looks like a very good value. Will order a second one for the AirStream.

Thanks Billtex. Keep us posted how it works out. Those Tyvek type ones are like the one I had before. They just seem like the quality of something from the Dollar Store....

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wanted to post an update; finally got the Goldline cover on. After a painful experience with the ordering process/customer service (for an in-stock cover?). It took two months to receive it, of course we had snow by then. After a warm, rainy Christmas Day all the snow is gone so we put the cover on.
I have to say the cover is very good quality and we are pleased with it. It is a much heavier gauge (nylon?) versus the โ€œtyvekโ€ like covers we have used in the past. So time will tell, it will soon snow again and that will be the real test. So far it looks like a very good value. Will order a second one for the AirStream.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the heads up about National. And I'll check out Calmark. They use Sunbrella fabric which is great.

gvgeode
Explorer
Explorer
I'll second HMS Beagle's response. My first Calmark cover lasted 9 years and the new one I just got is an even better custom fit and the material is long lasting. It comes with built in straps that secure the top against wind and there is a zipper on either side of the door so that the door flap can be rolled up and secured on top for easy access while the camper remains covered. Highly recommended.
2010 F-450, 6.4PSD, CC, DRW, 4X4, 60 gal fuel tank
2009 Lance 1055

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
The standard is the Calmark cover. I've tried several of the covers from the RV store made out of the inexpensive car cover type material. The best I've had is two seasons looking worn, completely shredded by the middle of the third. The Calmark I bought is in perfect shape approaching it's 8th season.

To be sure, it costs more, around 3 or 4x the cheap ones, so it needs to last 3 or 4x to break even. It appears to be doing that easily. One downside is that the fabric is heavier and real Sunbrella outdoor fabric, so it weighs significantly more than the cheapies, which makes it more work to put on and take off.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Just read the Better Business Bureau reviews on National Covers, stay away from that company.
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

TxGearhead
Explorer II
Explorer II
Watch Amazon for that Classic Accessories Poly-Pro cover. They go on sale occasionally.
2018 Ram 3500 CC LB DRW 4X4 Cummins Aisin Laramie Pearl White
2018 Landmark Oshkosh
2008 Bigfoot 25C9.4
2014 NauticStar 21 ShallowBay 150HP Yamaha
2016 GoDevil 18X44 35HP Surface Drive

Glacier_D
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hope you have good luck on finding a good cover. I just did business with National Covers and all I can say is DON'T Bother, horrible customer service from Anthony one of their reps. I ordered the Expedition (it's their second best) cover along with the gutter spout protectors, took close to 2 weeks to get to Washington State from California, however, when it arrived I noted there was no shipping invoice and the gutter spout protectors were not in the package, but I was charged for them. Before I called them I checked my emails to make sure I ordered them and they were on the order email receipt and then went to their website to see if they were possibly backordered, nope they are in stock.

The funny thing is that the price of the cover went down by $60 during the time from when I ordered till the time I received it. I called them, waited 10 min for a rep to speak to ended up speaking to Anthony. I explained that the gutter spout protectors were not in the shipment and that I was charged for them. He didn't even apologize their mistake and just said that they could ship them to me. I explained that the price went down $60 during the stated time and would they consider crediting me the difference since they messed up the order. All I got was a BIG FAT" NO" and he wouldn't budge. Well, so now I'm returning the cover at their expense because they screwed up on the order and wouldn't try to make it right in some way or another. There are better companies out there!!!! Don't believe their raving customer reviews either since there is no way to actually post a review on their website
2011 Dodge Ram 3500 4X4 Crew Cab/LB, Rancho RS9000XL, Stable Loads, Superhitch and FastGuns. 2009 Eagle Cap 1050, Hickory interior with on-board generator, A/C and Honda EU2000

dhull
Explorer II
Explorer II

I used the PolyPro also. It's new so who knows about lasting but if they will warranty a new one who cares. I like that it was very light easy to carry up on roof and deploy. We have an 8.5 ft camper for which we ordered the 8-10 ft model. I wish it was 6 inches longer it wood have fit the length perfectly. It won't fit a 9ft or 10ft camper so order big. Also had to take some slack out of the front overhang (note yellow tarp button) and tuck front under camper with boards.
I like it though...

Bert_the_Welder
Explorer II
Explorer II
Dick_B wrote:
Just slightly off topic but I have used Sunshield tarps for years.

Still a tarp. Still gonna rub the paint/gel coat off. Still, at the size I use, gonna be a PITA for one person to put up.