cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Test drove a Chevy 2020 HD 3500

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I took a 2020 HD for a short test drive yesterday. Somethings that stood out. The infotainment is much improved from the last gen. I liked the interior, would take getting used to the relocation of the trailer brake controller but it is more logical now. Overall the interior is not blingy (this was an LTZ) but very functional more so than the previous. 10 speed is really almost seamless, felt almost like CVT. What I really wanted to see is if that dead pedal was still there. While not as noticeable I still could detect the delay. I was hoping that if there were no nannies in play that would be gone. This truck had not been PDIed and it displayed "transport mode" on the display so maybe that was part of that. The money appears to be about the same as previous gen, but there are a lot more options now, so you could easily get carried away if your not careful checking boxes. They also has a 6.6 gas HD on the lot. They said that some guys took it out and checked the mileage and were able to get 16-17 on the Interstate. If that is true, that would be a good thing if it pulls like the spec sheet says it should.
2020 Chevy 3500 CC 4X4 DRW D/A
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2018 Chevy 3500HD CC LB SRW 4X4 D/A
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1
22 REPLIES 22

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
THIS is why I keep coming back!
Pure entertainment value....good one Billy Bob!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
Pitiful.

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'm laughing at guys arguing over gears and bicycles with the irony of a guy named "Walker" laughing at them. 😉

walker111
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:
The gas version needs a the 10 speed. They care going to get killed on the Ike.

Another 4 speeds won't make a bit of difference one way or another in the real world. Pulling a grade you're going to be in the same range 6 speed or 10. Might make a difference in a forum or waterhole BS session I suppose.

Ike? Who cares? Maybe someone who is pulling overloaded gooseneck manure wagons from Denver to Silverthorne twice a day, 6 days a week.

Truck threads are amusing. Man those are ugly. That's coming from someone who owns another brand, and never would have bought the ugly brand regardless.

Now if one of the detractors happened to buy one, it would suddenly be the most beautiful thing on the planet.

It might behoove some of you folks to set up a firewall and block those midlife crisis afflicted Boneheads at TFL truck.

I ride a very expensive bicycle daily, approx 4k miles per year. Please dont lecture me on how additional gearing helps efficiency. 10 vs a 6 spd will make a huge difference. My current 8spd is a mechanical marvel and I won't go back.

Good for you, I'm thrilled. BTW I ride a very cheap bicycle once every two years or so, for about 1/2 a mile.

A riot.................. still laughing!!!!

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:

Another 4 speeds won't make a bit of difference one way or another in the real world. Pulling a grade you're going to be in the same range 6 speed or 10. Might make a difference in a forum or waterhole BS session I suppose.

Ike? Who cares? Maybe someone who is pulling overloaded gooseneck manure wagons from Denver to Silverthorne twice a day, 6 days a week.

Truck threads are amusing. Man those are ugly. That's coming from someone who owns another brand, and never would have bought the ugly brand regardless.

Now if one of the detractors happened to buy one, it would suddenly be the most beautiful thing on the planet.

It might behoove some of you folks to set up a firewall and block those midlife crisis afflicted Boneheads at TFL truck.

I ride a very expensive bicycle daily, approx 4k miles per year. Please dont lecture me on how additional gearing helps efficiency. 10 vs a 6 spd will make a huge difference. My current 8spd is a mechanical marvel and I won't go back.

Good for you, I'm thrilled. BTW I ride a very cheap bicycle once every two years or so, for about 1/2 a mile.

Speaks volumes....

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:

hvac
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:

wowens79
Explorer III
Explorer III
I was excited about the new gasser since I only tow about 8k lbs. I'm starting to look at new trucks, and there are lots of complaints about the shift points on the Ram 6.4 with the 6 speed, but everyone is loving the 8 speed that it really works well together.

The few reviews I've seen on the Chevy from the media event in Oregon, there were a few comments that it was either lugging, or screaming on the hills. It will be interesting to see how it does. I really wish it had the 8spd or 10 spd.

I kinda hate to leave Chevy, I've had my current one for 17 years, and 231k miles, and it has served me well.
2022 Ford F-350 7.3l
2002 Chevy Silverado 1500HD 6.0l 268k miles (retired)
2016 Heritage Glen 29BH
2003 Flagstaff 228D Pop Up

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
BillyBob Jim wrote:
hvac wrote:

I think it does matter. The gas engine would clearly benfit from more gears. Keeping it in the optiminum gear would certainly make it a better towing experience. The additional 4 gears would help with that. I may not run the IKE, but I do run the Teton Pass loaded and so do a countless RVers. The better it performs on the IKE, the better will perform for everyone else. Nothing wronge in my mind about having a discussion about that.

As for the looks, I agree it gives those who werent going to buy one a new talking point, since the tow spec issue is no longer present. Even though few towed heavy enough to exceed the prior tow limits. With GMC offering a different look, it gives those who are truly interested, another option.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
I built a 2020 2500 on GM's site, and it produces this in the summary:

10,650 lbs. GVWR
When properly equipped; includes weight of vehicle, passengers, cargo and equipment

I wonder if they are just going to drop a bomb on people when they go the register their truck and their state says that has to be licensed at a class 3 truck because it is over 10K GVWR? So why not just get the 3500 out the door?

No one is dropping bombs. You would think when buying a truck, a person would know what they're getting themselves into regarding registration classes?

But No, just buy it then blame the manufacturer for dropping bombs when the bill for the tag and insurance comes due lol?

BillyBob_Jim
Explorer
Explorer
hvac wrote:

ksss
Explorer
Explorer
I didn't realize that the gas engine still got the 6 speed. I just built one and sure enough it gives you a six speed. I agree that is going to be a problem on the IKE and I think if there was a need for a 10 speed the gas engine would benefit the most. I am sure the ten speed will be available before long probably 2021. It should be available right now on the release. That is a mistake. It isn't so powerful as to overcome that shortcoming.
2013 Fuzion 342
2011 RZR Desert Tan
2012 Sea Doo GTX 155
2015 Chevy Camaro ZL1

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
I built a 2020 2500 on GM's site, and it produces this in the summary:

10,650 lbs. GVWR
When properly equipped; includes weight of vehicle, passengers, cargo and equipment

I wonder if they are just going to drop a bomb on people when they go the register their truck and their state says that has to be licensed at a class 3 truck because it is over 10K GVWR? So why not just get the 3500 out the door?
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

hvac
Explorer
Explorer