cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The 4.0L V8 diesel Touareg we can't have.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
VW Touareg with a 4.0L V8 diesel engine producing 416hp/664lb-ft with the ability to tow a little over 7,700 lbs. I wish Ford, GM, or Ram slapped this engine in their half tons instead of a small 3.0L diesel with dismal horsepower numbers. I would be more tempted to buy a half ton diesel with these kind of power ratings than what is currently available.

Although, these power numbers would probably be lower in the US since our diesel NOx emissions requirements are stricter than the EU's. VW would have to decrease output to meet US emissions similar to how VM Motori has to decrease power output of the US Ecodiesel versus that of EU markets.

INSTANT CLASSIC: VW’S EUROPEAN-SPEC, 416HP TOUAREG DIESEL
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
47 REPLIES 47

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Although, these power numbers would probably be lower in the US since our diesel NOx emissions requirements are stricter than the EU's. VW would have to decrease output to meet US emissions similar to how VM Motori has to decrease power output of the US Ecodiesel versus that of EU markets.

Which is rubbish as your " dirty diesels" do not meet EU standards. Still do not know why you have Japanese Diesel Trucks in the US, when they have failed EU standards. YOU HAVE NOT ANSWERED

Read your own post about the Tanoak a vW Pickup for tbe US. You posted it not me. I never said Ford was building vehicles ,but VW MAY use Ford sites to build the Tanoak
My point is the engine is great, but ,you cannot have it or the SUV in the US. So you can forget about it

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

Yes you did. It is about a US built Pickup the Tanoak for US consumption, built using Ford Factories. Other arrangement is for VW to build their Global vehicles using Ford Factories

Nope, I didn't. Please show me where I said that Ford is building vehicles for VW in the US market. This is exactly what i said...

"It seems with VW's recent partnership with Ford might make it possible for VW to make another pickup in the US."

which is what the VW of North Americav boss Scott Keogh stated

"We have opportunities with Ford. It's something we are 100 percent investigating."
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

Well you intially posted in this thread about a SUV that had impressive performance made in Europe, that cannot be bought in the US

And I stated that it cannot be bought in the threads title, but you still are not getting to your point for restating it so many times.

If you think it is because I would actually buy this VW then you are sadly mistaken and did nit fully read my first post. Let me repost it for you.

"VW Touareg with a 4.0L V8 diesel engine producing 416hp/664lb-ft with the ability to tow a little over 7,700 lbs. I wish Ford, GM, or Ram slapped this engine in their half tons instead of a small 3.0L diesel with dismal horsepower numbers. I would be more tempted to buy a half ton diesel with these kind of power ratings than what is currently available."

I was more impressed about the performance numbers of the engine rather than the actual vehicle. I also wished that Ford, GM, and Ram would go with bigger diesels for half tons with more power instead of small 3.0L engines.

However, I also followed up with the fact that even if this VW was offered in the US or even its engine, it would be less powerful due to our stricter emission regulations so it would be a waste.

"Although, these power numbers would probably be lower in the US since our diesel NOx emissions requirements are stricter than the EU's. VW would have to decrease output to meet US emissions similar to how VM Motori has to decrease power output of the US Ecodiesel versus that of EU markets."
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

They are not using Ford to make a Pickup for the US. VW can make a Pickup based on the Atlas for the NA market. They will be using Ford to design a new Amarok and a new Crafter will use extra Ford Capacity to buddy with the Transit

I or the article never stated that VW was using Ford to build vehicles in the US like they use them to build European cars so I am not sure what you are arguing about.

Yes you did. It is about a US built Pickup the Tanoak for US consumption, built using Ford Factories. Other arrangement is for VW to build their Global vehicles using Ford Factories

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
RobertRyan wrote:

It will be sold in Australia but NOT the US

Again, your point is? I already said this in my initial post.

Well you intially posted in this thread about a SUV that had impressive performance made in Europe, that cannot be bought in the US

RobertRyan
Explorer
Explorer
Actually yes, US diesel do meet Euro 6 since the current US NOx and PM emissions are stricter than Euro 6. Euro 6 is stricter than US emissio

Which is false as US Tier reg Diesels cannot be sold in Europe. I am still wondering how Japanese diesels that cannot make Euro 6 regulations happily run around the US with your so called " stricter diesels"???

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
My get around car is a Ford Focus hatch, 41 mpg and built in Wayne, Michigan not across the pond by UAW workers, like me.

Won't find any foreign **** in my driveway.

41 mpg? That must be highway doing 60 mph because not even the 123 hp 1.0L Focus is even close to 41 mpg combined on fuelly. If it is the 1.0L then the engine was made overseas.

Although 41 mpg is not really that special in a low horsepower car. My hand calculations at the end of the tank are 1-3 mpg are more then that 95% of the time in my 230 hp/390 lb-ft foreign built diesel car and I do 75-80 mph on the highway. Best part is that it wasn't made by UAW because they will just take that money and give it to political candidates that are against my beliefs.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

It will be sold in Australia but NOT the US

Again, your point is? I already said this in my initial post.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
SidecarFlip wrote:
My get around car is a Ford Focus hatch, 41 mpg and built in Wayne, Michigan not across the pond by UAW workers, like me.

Are you saying you were conceived across the pond by UAW workers? Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
But sidecar has the holiest grail F350 in existence, chock full of Dearborn skunk works ultra high performance, never achievable by the common man red, white n blue through n through. He!!, his truck emits hot dogs and baseballs out the exhaust while dropping 800 mean Kentucky bred stallions to the pavement !

And let’s not forget the ultra special 1 ton Denali Suburban whatever it is that resides next to the 3fiddy!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
SidecarFlip wrote:

I've got news for you, my friend: all car makers source parts all over the world, so you can no longer identify the nationality of autos by looking at the make/model nameplate.

For just one example, BMW is a German carmaker. But the largest BMW plant in the world is located near Statesville, SC. What's more, BMW's entire production of X3 and X5 SUVs comes from that plant, making BMW the largest exporter of cars from the US to the rest of the world, and the X5 is the most exported single model. So that neighbor with an X5 in his driveway has as much claim to be driving an American car as any Ford or Chevy driver.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
My TV (and daily driver) is a 2012 BMW X5 diesel. The engine is a 3.0 L straight 6, and at 115,000 miles it has needed little more than basic maintenance. The glow plug controller went bad around 80,000 miles, and I've had to replace the thermostat. Frankly, the 2005 Jeep was less reliable and every bit as expensive to repair.

If anything happened to it, I'd look for a 2018 X5 diesel to replace it.

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:
That is because the US emissions are stricter than in Europe and elsewhere especially in the 2b (3/4 ton) truck class that the Titan Cummins is in. As I said in my initial post, the 416 hp / 660 lb ft that this VW puts out would probably be reduced if it came to the US to comply with US emissions just like the VM Motori 3.0L(Ecodiesel) is reduced for US markets.

US Tier Diesels DO NOT meet Euro 6 compliance, as such cannot be sold where Euro 6 is in force. Japanese Diesels which do not meet Euro 6 requirements are freely sold in the US

Actually yes, US diesel do meet Euro 6 since the current US NOx and PM emissions are stricter than Euro 6. Euro 6 is stricter than US emissions for CO and CO2 emissions which is mainly emitted by gasoline, not diesel. US emissions laws are more lenient on gas emissions while they are more strict on diesel emissions. Euro laws are more lenient on diesel emissions, but are more strict on gasoline emissions. Simply put, American diesel can pass the Euro standards, but a gas car won't.

US laws are made more for human health and smog regulation while Euro laws are made for greenhouse gas regulations which is ironic since most "hippies" think our stricter diesel laws is made to save the environment. It is not, they are made to control smog and emissions that impact in population dense areas which have little to no effect on in less populated areas.

Differences in US and EU emissions standard key cause of Dieselgate

Comparing Emission Standards and Laws in the US and EU
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
RobertRyan wrote:

They are not using Ford to make a Pickup for the US. VW can make a Pickup based on the Atlas for the NA market. They will be using Ford to design a new Amarok and a new Crafter will use extra Ford Capacity to buddy with the Transit

I or the article never stated that VW was using Ford to build vehicles in the US like they use them to build European cars so I am not sure what you are arguing about.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD