cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The Dreaded 1/2 Ton Towing Question

Ruger3739
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, not really but kind of. I currently have a 2012 GMC Sierra Crew Cab 1500. The truck is paid off and a 3/4 ton is not in the cards for me at least for the time being.

I currently pull a 1999 25ft Bunk House TT (just sold it) and it pulls and handles it fine. I will attach specs below.

Since we just sold our old TT we are looking at new ones and I'm trying to stay around the same weight but fell in love with one that's about 500lbs heavier dry. Long story short I wanted to get the experts opinions on the TV and TT's below.

I should also state that we stay pretty local and usually only travel about 100-150 miles one way. I do go to the mountains and accept that I will not win any races going up there. That being said I added a larger trany cooler and everything stays well within range.

I know it comes down to payload and all the other weight ratings.

Current TV
2012 GMC Sierra CC - 5.3 and 3.42 gears
Tow Rating 9600 lbs (I know this will never happen in the real world)
Payload - 1590
GVWR 7000, GAWR for each axel is 3950
Loaded full of fuel and the family is - 5960
I have load range E tires, p3 break controller and will be upgrading to a Blue Ox Sway Pro

OLD TT That Towed Well
1999 Komfort Bunkhouse 25 ft (28 Tongue to bumper)
UVW - 5731
GVWR - 7620
Loaded - 6640lbs with mostly everything except food, beer and clothes ( I only cat scaled it this way and never had a chance once we were fully loaded up) Guessing I was closer to 6900.

Possible New Rig - Open Range UT2802BH
UVW - 5765-actual dry weight from the sticker on the door was 6300.
GVWR - 7450
28 foot box, 31 from pin to bumper

We absolutely love this trailer and it is our #1 choice. If I add 1000 lbs to the stickered dry weight it would put me at 7300lbs or approximately 600-700 lbs heavier than what I was previously towing.

Good combo? Horrible combo? OK combo?

P.S. I know a 3/4 and 1 ton will always tow better, but apparently they make those things out of gold now and I can't afford one and as I said the truck is paid off.

Thanks in advance for your feedback
67 REPLIES 67

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Enjoy your new camper.
Also, enjoy the dollars in your savings account that you saved by avoiding the financial beating on trading a perfectly adequate truck in on one you really don't need.

It's always good to see reason prevail.

just say no to the pay-low / poe-poe.

Ruger3739
Explorer
Explorer
Lol, I'm back! Haven't made the purchase yet, but I'm going with the open range. In reality it will weigh pretty close to what I was pulling. Considering that with an upgraded hitch(equalizer vs old school ez lift) I should be good to go.

Thank you all for your input.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer
2112 wrote:
I wonder if the OP will come back to tell us which way he went. Is he happy with his new setup?

I wouldnโ€™t.
D. Steiner
The sooner I fall behind, the more time I have to catch up.

Explorer II
Explorer II
I wonder if the OP will come back to tell us which way he went. Is he happy with his new setup?
2011 Ford F-150 EcoBoost SuperCab Max Tow, 2084# Payload, 11,300# Tow,
Timbrens
2013 KZ Durango 2857

travelnman
Explorer
Explorer
I pull 6,200lb TT with empty tanks. Never travel with full holding tanks. We have a 04 Suburban with the 5.3 liter and 3.73 rear end. The only problem since 04 has been pulling steep grades and caving in to the dog to turn the air back on. I do have to pull some grades in low and limit my rpm's while holding up some natives trying to reach the summit in record time. Sorry but they live in a tourist area with RV's all over the place and should expect at times to slow down. The TT is a 28ft Springdale which follows the Suburban perfectly never fish tails or fails to respond to the brake controller. High winds are a problem but we just pull off have a snack and wait it out or camp for the night. Another concern are steep down hill grades with run away ramps and DOT warnings at the rest stop before going down. This is something to consider when pulling a heavy RV also and light trucks might not do the job. I have seen semi's burning brakes and wondered if I will soon get into the same situation, experience is important here as well as information from truckers or other campers about the grade you are about to attempt with your rig. The new GM 5.3 liter engines with 355hp should be perfect for towing but I have not heard, mine is only 290hp mated to a four speed trans. Newer trucks are using newer transmissions with six speeds or more. Not sure how that plays out. I did have a conversation with a insurance guy camping, he said stick with engines with less turbo charging and complicated hp boosting gagets it can be very expensive to have repaired or rebuilt and they build this into their costs. He
was towing with a Sierra Pickup. Hope this helps.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
I think the opening poster will be fine with the new trailer. I checked the spec.'s of that model at a dealer and the dry tongue weight is pretty light. Just make sure you end up at the % of weight you expect and not too low. As you likely know, too low and it may not be as stable.

Good luck, if I were you, I'd get the trailer you prefer since you expect to be within the numbers of your truck based on actual weights and estimates, not just guessing.
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer

๐Ÿ˜‰
D. Steiner

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
troubledwaters wrote:
Thank God!

For what? Still a few comments from the "I want the last word" folks. Besides, if we bore you or irritate you, blocking or not following is an easy option.

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
And then thereโ€™s guys like me who aspire to one day UPGRADE to a half ton truck. Sadly Iโ€™m still pulling the family Hybrid around with either the 2002 Xterra 3.3 or the wifeโ€™s 2006 Explorer 4.0.

We pack light and keep our speeds down, as we are usually right at or a few hundred over GCWR
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

Walaby
Explorer II
Explorer II
While I agree the OP obviously has experience towing, if he was comfortable with his experience and knowledge, he wouldn't be asking the question.

Like virtually every conversation on this topic, one will always hear dissenting opinions, and can latch onto whichever opinion serves their needs.

If he wants to stick with his current TV, he has folks here that agree it should work (myself included).

If he wanted to use the opportunity to justify to DW that he needs a new truck, he has that opinion as well.

Mike
Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
2019 GrandDesign Reflection 367BHS

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Looks nice, D. Steiner ! Enjoy your trip. If you're headed to Tucson, look me up, I'll be here until end of March.

DSteiner51
Explorer
Explorer

Sorry Marty, after reading all the bull I couldnโ€™t help myself. :B:B
Headed out again tomorrow.
D. Steiner

Samsonsworld
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
Other folks like to take a half dozen pair of shoes per person. Etc.

I got in an argument the other day about how much weight you can add to a trailer. It got me wondering if other weekend warriors pack as much carp as I do, things like crock pot, casserole dishes, toaster, iron, vacuum, fan, multiple space heaters, etc...oh, and my wife carries way more than 6 pairs of shoes. I mean why do I need 4 spatulas and 20 steak knives in the trailer?

Back to topic, my advice is to buy as much truck as you can afford.

troubledwaters
Explorer III
Explorer III
Thank God!