cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The inevitable breakdown on the road....

NVR2L82AV8
Explorer
Explorer
It finally happened to me...I became "that Guy" yesterday. The law of averages met our camper head-on far from Vegas but luckily not "100 miles from a dial tone" like the back country Olympic National Forrest/Park areas we were in less than 24 hours earlier - Trip report on the expedition to those areas deep past Wynoochee Lake or, BIGFOOT country later.....so I digress.

Came out of the "outback" for a little tour around Lake Quinault - beautiful area - then over to Pacific Beach for the night. Next morning after 200 plus miles all over the Olympic Backcountry, we headed back to "the Five (I-5)" the location of our family reunion. Disclaimer alert - Born and raised up here--family all still lives here...but I digress.

So, Driving South down SR109 life was good then a light faint noise followed by a "Shudder." My DashBoss BlueTooth engine monitor on my iPad immediately begins flashing and screaming just like my frequent flight simulators when every emergency is thrown at you. FLY THE JET FIRST! I quickly surmise I lost the alternator as the BATT shows only BATT Voltage not 13.2 plus volts while driving and my FICM (Fuel injection Control Module) input voltage shows the same - NOT GOOD. The Dually is motoring fine on the shoulderless two lane highway....no CRISIS to just make another crisis -- OK. I have the DW "reset the Master Caution light" (quelch the iPad DashBoss noise) and notice Coolant temps on the rise and smell burnt rubber. Time to DIVERT to the nearest airfield!

I look at the Garmin and get into the Checklists. Town ahead 2 miles...gotta get off this shoulderless road, gotta keep up the airflow for cooling (and flying too) cause I know the serpentine belt is toast, and need a parts store. DW quickly sees a NAPA 3 miles away. Cleared to land. Issues abound and we make headway...steering is way tight and no powered brakes. DARN, where are all those aviation system backups when you need em! I use engine power and the tranny to slow. I turn off into the NAPA Auto Store - all things being considered I'm feeling pretty Blessed today - and I have to put muscle into this like I'm back flying a cable controlled Boeing Jet. I make the turn and use the emer brake to not take out the passenger gate (the front door). Whew, ALL Good.

This is gonna be a quick fix. I open the hood and confirm my suspicions. I go in and order a belt. "Sir, gonna be two hours before we get one in the store..it has to come from Aberdeen." Ok, "no problem." I'll just get the tools out while it cools down, map the serp-belt route, confirm my pulleys/pumps are all free and and be ready. So, I go outside climb up and do some more inspecting. OH NO. The serpentine belt has made a mess but I've got a "ground stop." The pulley on the water pump has sheered off. Looks like this is a major repair now. I call USAA for a Tow to the shop.

Folks, every single tow company within 100 miles does not want to have anything to do with that tow with the camper on top. Think about this--this is camper country. Luckily, across the street was an RV repair shop who graciously let me off-load the camper on their premises. I got a tow to the shop recommended by the "locals" and now we wait for some parts--Mechs confirmed my diagnosis.

Big family reunion in a few days so will try and get the camper back to the family reunion location (75 miles) where we can use it as our quarters. Gonna have to grab a low-boy from the farm for a tow as this saga continues.....
2013 AF 990
2003 F350 6.0L 4X4 DRW, Oil bypass filter, Coolant Filter, Blue Spring fuel pressure mod, DELO ELC, DashBoss Bluetooth engine monitor, EGT/FP gauge, SuperSprings, torklift hitch/tiedowns, 48" SuperTruss, fastguns, Kenwood CMOS Backup Camera.
18 REPLIES 18

lc0338
Explorer
Explorer
Good Story. And a good point you bring up. There are a lot of posts on this forum about replacing tires with age but you know there is a lot of rubber under the hood and that is just as much a harsh environment as tires. Many of those serpentine belts are made with aramid (kevlar) tensile cord which is strong stuff (in bullet proof vests also) and can take out metal objects in their way upon failure. Belts and hose need to be replaced after about 6 years as well as those tires.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
At least you didn't crash land to bring out the Civil Air Patrol. Good luck!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
A good story and strikes home because I had a similar experience a month ago when the serpentine belt went near Holsopple, PA. But got a roll-off tow truck to haul me with the camper loaded to the Chevy dealer in Winber, PA. My concern was that we were now higher than 14 feet, but there were no low bridges or wires along the route. It was noon on Saturday and the garage was about to close, but they replaced the belt & a seized idler pully in 2 hrs, and got me back on the road. I now carry a serpentine belt.
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

ChooChooMan74
Explorer
Explorer
LOL. I love how you make light of a bad situation. Hope all gets fixed up and you get back on the road, soon.
Great American Anti-Towing Conspiracy
2015 Ram Truck 1500 Ecodiesel Tuned By Green Diesel
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD Tuned By Green Diesel (Retired to Daily Driver)
2015 Rockwood Roo 183
Stop on by and read my Camping Blogs
Nights Camped in 2015 - 19 and Winterized