cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

The new ST tires. Fact or fiction (marketing)

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
It is good that some manufacturers seem to be stepping up the quality of their ST tire offerings.. And even better that many of the proponents of ST tires on this forum are welcoming these new tires with open arms.... Though I must point out that since they are now so happy about this, that they must recognize the inferiorority of the previous tires... Despite many past statements to the contrary.

Now to the point of this post: Years back I studied the govt. testing standards for LT tires vs ST tires. It was a real eye opener and cemented my decision to pass on ST tires.

I am not interested on doing that again. It is a very hard read, and takes a lot of time. And having found my tire solution, I am not interested in go back to STs.

The question I have is about the new Higher speed ratings. Are these tires tested to to that by the govt? I am not so sure. Having an ST tire designation may limit at least some of the testing to the 65 MPH speed limit for ST tires. I doubt the regs have been changed because of these new tires.

If they are not being tested to the new ratings, then it is just marketing..... Again!

I tend to believe the worst as these new tires still have a very low price point. That was one of the primary reasons for the ST.
"The ST tire is an affordable solution for your trailer tire needs"
IOW, a cheap tire that is good enough.

Premium materials and construction cost money and should raise the price... Yet these new tires are still much less that half the price of a premium LT tire.

I smell a rat.

If I were an ST tire fan, I would want to know the truth.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW
88 REPLIES 88

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
On my last trailer, one of the Maxxis tires I had on it, had the steel belts break. Luckily, I had to stop to make an emergency run to the trailer's restroom. I stopped on a white dusty parking lot. I just happened to notice the tire looked odd.The side of the tread was sculpted out, while the middle was bulging. About 3/4 of the tire looked fine. If I had pulled the trailer one quarter turn of the tire more forward, I would not have noticed it, and it would have come loose while driving at speed on US highway I was on.

Even Maxxis aren't immune from self destruction.

RinconVTR wrote:
Here's some data on weight I rarely see anyone compare. I think its fair to say lightweight ST's are garbage, while the new Endurance weighs in the middle but has the highest of all speed rating.

For equal comparison, all weights are for size 205/75 R15

Most common weight = 23 lbs
Westlake (75mph rating) = 23 lbs
Good Year Marathons = 23 lbs
Good Year Endurance (87mph rating) = 29 lbs
Carlisle HD (81mph rating) 42 lbs
Maxis = 43 lbs
Powerking = 43 lbs
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

Westcoasting
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
westend wrote:
In my area, a 15" LT truck tire of mediocre quality is about 20% more than a name brand ST trailer tire.
I chose to put Carlisle RH load range D's on my old rig. I tend to drive slow and believe the Carlisle's are a good fit for what and how I pull. IIRC, they are speed rated to around 80 mph. I will never see that speed with my trailer.

A good 15" choice in LT is the good year wrangler HT. It is currently priced about $20 more than the new GY Endurance in a similar size from TireRack.

Thats the tire i have on currently, it is a very good tire. After a nightmare 2 years of 4 different brands of tires blowouts i got smart and bought these. No more problems! Never again an St tire for me!

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
DinTulsa wrote:
gmw photos wrote:
westend wrote:
In my area, a 15" LT truck tire of mediocre quality is about 20% more than a name brand ST trailer tire.
I chose to put Carlisle RH load range D's on my old rig. I tend to drive slow and believe the Carlisle's are a good fit for what and how I pull. IIRC, they are speed rated to around 80 mph. I will never see that speed with my trailer.

A good 15" choice in LT is the good year wrangler HT. It is currently priced about $20 more than the new GY Endurance in a similar size from TireRack.

Do they make it in E? I'm guessing no.

LR D, 2096 pounds of capacity is the highest rated for 15" Wrangler HT

For that line of tire, you have to go 16" to get LR E.

DinTulsa
Explorer
Explorer
gmw photos wrote:
westend wrote:

Do they make it in E? I'm guessing no.

RinconVTR
Explorer
Explorer
Here's some data on weight I rarely see anyone compare. I think its fair to say lightweight ST's are garbage, while the new Endurance weighs in the middle but has the highest of all speed rating.

For equal comparison, all weights are for size 205/75 R15

Most common weight = 23 lbs
Westlake (75mph rating) = 23 lbs
Good Year Marathons = 23 lbs
Good Year Endurance (87mph rating) = 29 lbs
Carlisle HD (81mph rating) 42 lbs
Maxis = 43 lbs
Powerking = 43 lbs

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:

babock
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
I run Carlisle tires on my trailers. Reason being is U-Haul runs Carlisle and they cannot afford tire failure on a rental trailer. I don't care where a tire is made, could be bum fudge Egypt for I care, I go by how they hold up and who runs them, in this case U-Haul.

I never drive fast but I am overloaded most times with my utility trailers.
U-Haul buys whoever gives them the best bulk buy. It's a cost decision.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
GMW brings up another point.
Those of us that travel with animals. My crowd travels with Horses (I don't as we compete on foot in horseback events) and dogs.
And these are not your typical dogs and horses.
The dogs are the best hunting dogs around. Many years and lots of money has been invested developing their lines. The horses too have specialized training in order to do the job they need to in support of the dog competitions.

A breakdown on the road is HUGE problem for us.
It can easily put the animals at risk, AND cause us to miss a event.
This is totally unacceptable.
Word gets around quickly when a particular product is causing a problem. The Ford 6.0s made a very brief appearance at the events. ST tires are not used as well, other than by an occasional newbie who quickly learns the ropes.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
Like 'Dog, some of us use our trailers for more than just traveling around leisurely. My trailers ( horse trailers and travel trailer ) get used also in support of the horse show activities. I don't always have the choice to doodle along at 55mph. I need reliable components in my trailer, that stand the best chance of getting me there with no problems.
Time will tell, maybe these new ST tires like the GY Endurance will prove to be as reliable as the LT's I currently run. My bet is they won't hold a price advantage over the LT, so what's the point ?

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I found that just getting tires that far exceed your trailers weight ratings works good too...

Actually, never had any issues with the OEM Goodyear Marathons LR B tires that came with my trailer brand new. (2002)

Around 2009 got some Karrier tires from etrailer in load range D and still no issues.. I've added some weight to the trailer since 2002, so felt this was a good thing.

Got another set of those Karrier tires from etrailer around 2015 and still doing well with them..

I don't need to go more than 65 mph, even thou I work and have limited time and all that other BS... How much time are you going to make up going 70-80-90 mph?? Couple of hours at best... Okay.. enjoy... ๐Ÿ™‚

Anyway, get whatever effing tires work for you and if you still blow them, something YOU are doing is causing it more than likely??

No idea really... Been reading these tire threads since 2002 and still LOL at them... ha, ha...

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Huntindog wrote:
GordonThree wrote:
Why are you all in such a hurry? What's wrong with going 55 or 60? All I see are positives, better gas mileage, less stressed behind the wheel, tires run cooler, etc.
Simple. We work and have things to do.

A typical trip for us is a weekend jaunt to a dog trial. Usually about 500 miles one way. The competition is sat/sun.
Leave on Friday, arrive, compete, leave for home Sunday afternoon. Back to work on Monday.

Any more questions?

No, but a snarky comment...

Camp closer to hone....duh
Why, there isn't a Field Trial there.

Unlike many here, camping just to camp isn't my primary reason for using the TT. In fact I haven't been on a "camping" trip for at least 5 years.

The TT is my home away from home to support my other outdoor activities.
I often find myself at odds with those that don't understand this.

My activities, mainly hunting and trialing have specific dates and locations when they occur. Rain or shine or snow sleet etc.
So when the fair weather campers head home, my TT is doing what I pay it for. Providing comfortable shelter in any conditions.
I actually look forward to nasty weather on a hunt. We ride out the storm, and then have the woods to ourselves as most everyone else has went home.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2 bathrooms, no waiting
17.5LRH commercial tires

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
X2
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Atlee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course Goodyear doesn't make Marathons now, and the Endurance is made in USA.

ParkCountry wrote:
Years ago when I was in the market for a new set of tires for our trailer, I chose to stick with the Goodyear Marathons largely because they were made in the U.S. After installation, I was quite livid to find that manufacture of these tires had shifted to China. NEVER AGAIN.
Erroll, Mary
2021 Coachmen Freedom Express 20SE
2014 F150 Supercab 4x4 w/ 8' box, Ecoboost & HD Pkg
Equal-i-zer Hitch

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
One of the forums I used to frequent had many, many posts about blow outs. They even had a thread called 'Chinese Bombs' Seems as though builders use the cheapest tires available and then they explode.

Plenty of posts on here about any long standing brand and blowouts.

Too fast, too much weight, too little maintenance, any tire can be made to fail.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed