cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thermocouple replacement

Jim_Cindy
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone have instructions for replacing the oven thermocouple in a Suburban cooktop oven combo. Suburban won't provide instructions. I am capable of doing the work, just don't know the proper way to get at it without breaking something. Really don't want to haul it to a dealer for a relatively inexpensive part. Thanks in advance. Jim
PBH Portable Beach House

2008 GMC 2500HD Duramax Allison :C
2009 Cameo 34CK3
MorRyde IS, Disc Brakes, G614's
PullRite Super Glide Hitch
Propane fueled Yamaha EF 2400is
7 REPLIES 7

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Jayco23FB wrote:
Same thing happened to me when we bought our TT. New TC and we were good to go.

I am hoping that is the real cure in my case. They say it will be done in time for me to pick up the RV on Saturday.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
Same thing happened to me when we bought our TT. New TC and we were good to go.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

Jayco23FB
Explorer
Explorer
wmoses wrote:
ScottG wrote:
TC's rarely actually fail - they're usually just dirty.
I have fixed two of them in RV ovens by simply cleaning the part that sits in the flame with some carburetor cleaner. Place a shop towel under the area and simply spray it down. The carbon that's insulating it will wash away. I've also just used a BRASS (only brass) brush to brush it away on fire-place insert TC's.

My RV is in the shop right now for a problem with the oven staying lit once it hits set tempreature. Diagnosis was bad thermocouple. It is a new trailer made only last August.

The thermocouple appears to be clean, and mine is also a Suburban stove / oven. Not saying that a dirty thermocouple is not often the cause; just that sometimes it can be junk from day one which is when this oven issue started.

Rarely caught during a PDI since I am sure no one turns on the oven and lets it warm up to 350 deg.F. That would be a wise thing to do with Suburban stove/ovens though. My 2 cents.
Jayco G2 23FB
2007 Chevrolet 2500HD 6.0L

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
I have fixed two of them in RV ovens by simply cleaning the part that sits in the flame with some carburetor cleaner. Place a shop towel under the area and simply spray it down. The carbon that's insulating it will wash away. I've also just used a BRASS (only brass) brush to brush it away on fire-place insert TC's.

My RV is in the shop right now for a problem with the oven staying lit once it hits set tempreature. Diagnosis was bad thermocouple. It is a new trailer made only last August.

The thermocouple appears to be clean, and mine is also a Suburban stove / oven. Not saying that a dirty thermocouple is not often the cause; just that sometimes it can be junk from day one which is when this oven issue started.

Rarely caught during a PDI since I am sure no one turns on the oven and lets it warm up to 350 deg.F. That would be a wise thing to do with Suburban stove/ovens though. My 2 cents.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

diazr2
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Make sure you turn off all pilot lights first!:)

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
It's pretty much loosen the screw to the mount, remove the thermocoupler and unplug the wire at the other end. When you install the new thermocoupler try not to tuch the sensor with bare fingers.

This site has a lot of manuals and tips for repairs and maintenance
http://bryantrv.com/sitemap.html