cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

thermostat change

N5LUI
Explorer
Explorer
Hi all,Has anyone replaced the manual thermostat to a digital in your RV? can one from home depot or lowe's work and would there be a problem to change out. looking for some good advice. Thanks
11 REPLIES 11

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing I would add is to buy a PTL(push to light up) battery powered unit. I would spend the extra $10.00 to get a Honeywell with PTL feature. An inexpensive Honeywell or almost any digital unit from any store will work. I guess the Hunter unit is popular because if it's price, I have always installed name brand units in houses and thats what I like.

Jayco254 asked if they will work on non-ducted units. Yes all you need to remember is to buy a battery powered unit.

We don't go to the desert during the summer so we operate our roof top AC manually. Not an issue for us.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Jayco254 wrote:
Does this work on nonducted units?

afaik you need to have an existing wall thermostat to replace.
If the controls are in the air conditioner... probably out of luck.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I guess it's "cool" to do this mod, but our OEM seems to do very well
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
Does this work on nonducted units?
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

mooky_stinks
Explorer
Explorer
I changed mine out to the Hunter from Walmart. I just hooked up the high speed wire as was stated above. The OE t-stat used 6 wires but I only needed 4 for the Hunter. That's because it has batteries for power and I left the low speed fan wire off. It's much more accurate ans doesn't have the 5 degree swing. It is literally a 15 minute installation. Just keep an extra set of batteries in a drawer because when they die you lose your heat and AC. It does have a low battery icon so there would be plenty of warning.
2020 F150 XL Screw 4x4 6.5โ€box
3.5 ecoboost Max tow HDPP
7850 GVW. 4800 RAWR
2565 payload

2020 Cougar 29RKS 5th wheel

steelpony5555
Explorer
Explorer
Changing the t-stat to a digital one is usually the first mod I do to any RV I got. The manual t-stats have a 2-4 degree swing high and low. A digital has 1-2 degree swing. It is very easy to change out. I have usually used the Walmart Hunter t-stat and never had a problem. You can get the tiny switch from Radio Shack to make the fan high and low also, but some folks just let it on high. Here's a couple of sites to cut and paste that give you instructions on how to do it.

http://www.klenger.net/RVing/HVAC_Hunter_Tstat/hunter-digital-tstat-instructions.pdf

http://www.modmyrv.com/2008/07/14/rv-digital-thermostat

http://home.roadrunner.com/~morodat/hunter_install.html
14 Cedar Creek Silverback 29IK
10 Dodge 3500 Dually Laramie 6.7 Diesel
14 Chrysler 300
07 Pearl White Ultra Classic (My new Baby)

Texas Boomers---Stop by for a Margie some time!

rhinowino
Explorer
Explorer
This one worked in my trailer : RV Comfort Coleman

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
See your other post for info
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
They will work and a lot of people have done itโ€ฆ the wiring may be a little different and you may need to add a switch to have hi and lo fan speedsโ€ฆ

I installer the hunter programmable one, but found it to be unreliableโ€ฆ after replacing it several times I went back to the overpriced Coleman manual one several years agoโ€ฆ I had to replace it again a few weeks ago, but was glad it was the overpriced t-stat this timeโ€ฆ if it wasnโ€™t the T-stat the only other thing would have been the very overpriced and non-repairable relay module in the ACโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

APRSRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Home thermostats run on the low voltage ac that the furnace control uses. An RV doesn't have that power available. If you can find a battery powered one, it would work.