cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Airstream and explorer?

lincoln30
Explorer
Explorer
I saw a commercial for some kind of drug. It showed what I thought was an Airstream being towed by the redesigned Ford Explorer. Is that possible?

I know the new tow limit is 5,000 lbs. Have no idea what an Airstream weighs.
12 REPLIES 12

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Airstreamer67 wrote:
The picture is misleading: That bike is a three-speed hub shifter with two brakes...anybody could do that!

Ya, but it's a semi float axle!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Airstreamer67
Explorer
Explorer
The picture is misleading: That bike is a three-speed hub shifter with two brakes...anybody could do that!

Norskeman
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:
Don't know why it couldn't tow an Airstream...I remember a magazine advertisment for Airstream and it was being towed by a guy on a BICYCLE:R..Don't see why an Explorer can't tow one if a bicycle can:)

I think this is what you saw;

What ever you tow stay within the ratings of the tow rig. Back in 1988 I towed a 26 foot trailer with a Chevy S10 Blazer with a V6 - big mistake - too much trailer for the blazer - too long and too much weight. Only did it for a year and then got a 3/4 ton truck.
2017 Keystone Avalanche 320RS
TV - 2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ CCLB Duramax SRW 4X4

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
lincoln30 wrote:
I saw a commercial for some kind of drug. It showed what I thought was an Airstream being towed by the redesigned Ford Explorer. Is that possible?

I know the new tow limit is 5,000 lbs. Have no idea what an Airstream weighs.

The newer Explorer, Edge, and Flex are all based on the same plarform. In these parts of the country these 3 vehicles are popular for towing most sizes of Airstreams.

Depending on year and size dry weights of Airstreams can range from under 2,000lbs to upwards of 10,000lbs.

Note it is not always about TV size and weight. It's how well the tug handles the load...

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
bikendan wrote:
NC Hauler wrote:
Don't know why it couldn't tow an Airstream...I remember a magazine advertisment for Airstream and it was being towed by a guy on a BICYCLE:R..Don't see why an Explorer can't tow one if a bicycle can:)

just like the Tundra towing the Space Shuttle!:S

HEY...forgot about that one...OP, go with the Tundra...WAYYYY more room for the family:)
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

bikendan
Explorer
Explorer
NC Hauler wrote:

just like the Tundra towing the Space Shuttle!:S
Dan- Firefighter, Retired:C, Shawn- Musician/Entrepreneur:W, Zoe- Faithful Golden Retriever(RIP:(), 2014 Ford F150 3.5 EcoboostMax Tow pkg, 2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255 w/4pt Equalizer and 5 Mtn. bikes and 2 Road bikes

NC_Hauler
Explorer
Explorer
Jim & Kathy, (Boxers, Buddy & Sheba)
2016 Ram 3500 DRW Longhorn 4X4/CC/LB/Aisin/4.10/rear air assist ...Pearl White.
2016 DRV MS 36RSSB3/ W&D/ slide toppers/ DTV satellite/ 5.5K Onan propane gen.
B&W RVK3600 Hitch
Fulltiming in WV & TX
USAF 71-75 Viet Nam Vet

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Someone in my subdivision tows a Prime Time Tracer 245BHS with a 2012+ Explorer. Nuts, I think.

Can Am specializes in TV upgrades for what seems like unsafe towing combinations. For now, I'll stick with my over capable TV for our TT.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Svichera
Explorer
Explorer
That's no explorer. That's a range rover!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I towed a 25 foot Award TT with a 95 Explorer. similar in aerodynamics as the Airstream and it had a 5000lb GVWR and a 3800lb dry weight.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
The 22 footer would meet specs. Any longer ones would be over 5000, I think.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Sure, here is the proof....

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro