cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thetford Aqua Magic IV

poriggity
Explorer
Explorer
So, I am stumped by this toilet in my camper. It's an aqua magic IV by Thetford. I don't know the first thing about prepping the toilet for it's first use after being in storage for 15 years. I've ready that I need to fill the holding tank below the toilet with 5 gallons of water, but I don't know how true any of that is. When I open up the "flush" lever, and look into the toilet, the tank below is bone dry. Does anyone have any idea on where I need to start with this to check functionality of the toilet and shower? I assume the shower works with the camper's water pump when not hooked up to shore water? Any help, or pointers would be appreciated.
2004.5 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, Long bed quad cab, 315x70x17 Falken AT3W, Timbren SES

No RV at the moment, but in a couple weeks will be the proud owners of a new 2019 No Boundaries 19.5 TT.
2 REPLIES 2

stevenal
Nomad II
Nomad II
Five gallons will reduce your capacity by that much. If the tank is dry, get it wet.
'18 Bigfoot 1500 Torklifts and Fastguns
'17 F350 Powerstroke Supercab SRW LB 4X4

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
Water in black tank is so poop doesn't stick to bottom, dry out and become hard.

Toilet.........
After 15 yrs. of dry storage toilet bowl seal may not hold water and seal.
I would rub it down using your hands with olive oil (I use it on mine and it keeps seal soft and pliable) before turning on water source. Rub oil in good top/bottom/sides while flexing seal.

Then with ball closed pour some water in and see if water stays in bowl (water provides a vapor barrier)

Toilet water valve........it may leak after yrs. of non-use.

City water via hose connection or water pump via sucking water out of fresh water tank supply ALL the plumbing systems in camper. Faucets/shower/toilet.
Cold water goes into bottom of water heater and comes out top to fed hot water lines.
Water pump..may run/pump. Internal check valve may leak allowing water to flow backwards thru pump overfilling fresh water tank when using city water via hose connection.
City water connection has a check vale also that stops water from leaking out when running water pump.

Dump Valves on waste water tanks may be dried out also.could tear or not seal when operating valves.

Test all systems with clean water first!!!

Water system........tank, lines, faucets, water heater etc. will need a good rinse/flush and doing a sanitizing wouldn't hurt (1/4 cup bleach per 15 gallon of water in fresh water tank......run thru whole system, let sit overnight, drain flush rinse.

You can find 'manuals' on line for stove, fridge, water heater, furnace and toilet. Just need brand/model numbers

Chris Bryant---RV.Net Poster and RV Tech has put together several manuals......HERE

Thetford Toilets Click on Aqua Magic IV under "Permanent Toilets".........pop up window with service manuals and operation manual
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31