cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Things to NOT Leave in Your Trailer for Winter Storage.

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
What things other than food do you not leave in your trailer during winter storage?
46 REPLIES 46

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Baja937 wrote:
Good list folks...Seems we did pretty good for the 1st winterizing of our TT...

I concentrated on Critter related things...Food, fridge etc...Never thought about taking the TV home...

Critter warmth...I did bring all blankets, towels, toilet paper home...

Couple concerns...Has anyone ever had any dishes or a blender freeze and shatter? Glassware like Wine Glasses?
I have never removed my LCD tv or any glass ware with temps as low as -45F and never had a problem. I don't take the hard liquor out either, if it freezes it's not any good. :B

I might add some take out TV's and valuables to prevent theft. Where my TT is at that's not a concern.

nomad297
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Some remove their flat screen TV's if they live where it freezes.

And those people would be wasting their time. This is SO not necessary!

X2
2010 Skyline Nomad 297 Bunk House, 33-1/4 feet long
2015 Silverado 3500HD LTZ 4x4, 6.0 liter long bed with 4.10 rear, 3885# payload
Reese Straight-Line 1200# WD with built-in sway control
DirecTV -- SWM Slimline dish on tripod, DVR and two H25 receivers

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
if you store away from home, taking the TVs out may be a good idea. Rocky is 30 feet out the back door and we just leave the TV right where is is. Every single food item and bathroom vanity item comes out. I use small organizer trays and baskets, so it's a snap just to lift those out and put into a couple of boxes. Leave dishes, glasses, cookware and such. I did freshly wash the sheets and make the bed before we closed up. We're also in and out so it's easy to check. Believe the detector battery is left in, but then we replace fresh at the start of the season.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
.....check all cabinets but i leave all bedding clothes TV's radios and things like that i never could understand why anybody would take all the bedding and clothes out

IMHO no matter how well you winterize your MH, after sitting for months the bedding has that "left in the MH over the winter not so fresh odor".

I want my linens to be crispy clean so I take them out and wash them so they are ready to go come spring.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Baja937
Explorer
Explorer
Good list folks...Seems we did pretty good for the 1st winterizing of our TT...

I concentrated on Critter related things...Food, fridge etc...Never thought about taking the TV home...

Critter warmth...I did bring all blankets, towels, toilet paper home...

Couple concerns...Has anyone ever had any dishes or a blender freeze and shatter? Glassware like Wine Glasses?

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer
whiteeye42 wrote:
... i tried to wash the baking dick but i never could get the smell out of it ...

LOL

I love me some typos. ๐Ÿ˜‰ I am a teacher and I do all my best editing AFTER I've run off all my copies. That's when I catch *MY* typos.

This one is amazing! ๐Ÿ™‚
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch

PacNWChris
Explorer
Explorer
PenMan wrote:
I remove the battery from the smoke alarm as well as things others have mentioned.

We have two smoke detectors: one in the kitchen area, one leading to the bedroom. The kitchen one always has the battery out. One SLIGHTLY over-done piece of toast and ... call the fire brigade! ๐Ÿ˜‰
2014 F350 Platinum 6.7L Power Stroke
2015 Salem Hemisphere Lite 282RK
ProPride 3P Hitch

whiteeye42
Explorer
Explorer
i left a bag of potatoes in only lucky it was contained in a glass baking dish the first time i opened the door in the spring i knew what the smell was i tried to wash the baking dish but i never could get the smell out of it so now i check and double check all cabinets but i leave all bedding clothes TV's radios and things like that i never could understand why anybody would take all the bedding and clothes out
Me,Wife two boys and two dogs
2008 Dodge Ram Quad Cab 4x4 DRW 6.7 cummins
2008 Jayco Eagle 341 RLQS 37' with B&W turnover ball & companion hitch
using rotochoks
add state map

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
PackerBacker wrote:
We remove food products and anything liquid; everything else stays like televisions, clothes, bedding, portable appliances etc ...
I do the same.

Bull_Rider
Explorer
Explorer
We left a Nespresso latte machine in the RV last year. Never gave it a thought. Went to use it in the spring and the pump had frozen and split in two. There went two hundred buck.
If you receive help from other members, don't forget to update your topic with the results.

kiwiiam
Explorer
Explorer
Depends on where you live of course but if you winterize, remove all liquids. Watch out for cans that can fall over and be "hiding" in the shelves on the door of the fridge. They can explode and although they don't damage too much, leaves a mess to clean up.
Kiwiiam
Elipse
Silverado

Community Alumni
Not applicable
We remove food products and anything liquid; everything else stays like televisions, clothes, bedding, portable appliances etc ...

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
I take out every single thing when I use to put it up for the winter.

I had a run a way potato in the cabinet over the fridge one year.
Gawd did that thing stink up the MH.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Jack_Diane_Freedom wrote:
Once accidentally left a bag of birdseed in the storage. Mice love it and moved in for the winter. Had to wash absolutely everything, every drawer and cabinet, and any utensils left. Will never do that again. I am still hearing about it from DW and it was 10 years ago.

That has happened several times in my shed with grass seed....
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

DE88ROX
Explorer
Explorer
sch911 wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Some remove their flat screen TV's if they live where it freezes.

And those people would be wasting their time. This is SO not necessary!

left mine in for the first time this year. Although i did unplug it.
[COLOR=]TV- 2010 GMC Sierra Z71 EXT. cab
TT- 2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge235fb