cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Thinking about getting a "Couples TT" Help with brand/model

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
Wife wants a little more room camping in the Summer than we have in the TC, so thinking about a TT. Just us and 2 terriers. Thinking new.

Needs-Full 80" QB, solid bedroom door(s). Slide(s). Short as possible to camp in tight spots. Been looking online at 23'rs. Want QUALITY. No de-lamination, roof leaks, thing breaking in general.

I have a truck to pull almost anything so don't care about weight, just want a good quality TT around 23', shorter the better. I have been looking online and am overwhelmed by the different brands and models! Just want info from anyone with experience on brands/models, do's and don'ts. Appreciate any knowledge, info or advice.

Here are a couple of models that peaked my interest-

2016 Coachmen 233RBS Freedom Express
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKVQbjQGf_w

2016 Keystone RV Bullet Premier 22RBPR
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a14Gcc0cZKI

2016 Forest River Vibe Extreme Lite 236RBS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N8rhF8uafQ
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73
50 REPLIES 50

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Area13 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:
I would check Artic Fox. I believe they have a 23 with QB. Good all weather TT.

Thanks for the tip. I see they (Northwoods) have the Snow River 234RBS. LOVE that unit. Stupid Curtains for bedroom doors. I get up early and drink coffee, wife gets cranky....

In a TT that short it won't matter whether you have a curtain or a solid door. Most TT's have a big gap at the top and bottom of the door so sound will travel easily.

OK, thanks for the tip. May have to reconsider curtains. Outside with a kitchen and coffee pot may help too.

That's exactly what I do. I tend to get up earlier than the wife and don't want to bother her in the morning either. So I get everything ready the night before. Sneak out the door and make coffee outside in the morning.

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
That gap is usually for air circulation so that the heat and AC can work properly. I wish they made the gap larger so I wouldn't have to bend down so far.;)

Get the Artic Fox and skip the KZ, that way you will at least have a good frame. Yes, all RV's have problems, but at least after any repairs to the Fox, you will have a road-worthy vehicle. Ask me how I know.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:
Area13 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I see they (Northwoods) have the Snow River 234RBS. LOVE that unit. Stupid Curtains for bedroom doors. I get up early and drink coffee, wife gets cranky....

In a TT that short it won't matter whether you have a curtain or a solid door. Most TT's have a big gap at the top and bottom of the door so sound will travel easily.

OK, thanks for the tip. May have to reconsider curtains. Outside with a kitchen and coffee pot may help too.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
WyoTraveler wrote:

Our TT we had prior to our currant 5er had a sliding pocket door. TT was 30'10" long. Even sitting in the rear in recliners I could hear my wife snore or stir around. About the only way to get isolated is to but a long TT/5er that has a solid door that's tight at the top and bottom and has some rear seating.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
We bought an Open Range 216RBS about 6 months ago. We've now spent maybe 45 nights in it and pulled it around 6,000 miles with no problems. A little on the heavy side, wider and taller than most and it doesn't have solid bedroom doors.

The stereo/DVD player did go bad but I just called the supplier and they sent a new one. Took me about 10 minutes to swap it out.

http://www.highlandridgerv.com/products/2016/the-light/travel-trailers/LT216RBS
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
The Kroc wrote:
Take a look at the new Jayco Jayflight 24 RBS. It has an 80 in bed, large bathroom, slideout dinette,and an outside sink & stove. Can't beat the dealer support and a 2 year warranty.

Will do. Thank You!
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
bogie514 wrote:
My wife and I just went through the same process looking for a couples camper now that our children are grown and out of the house. Part of the fun is in the thrill of the chase. We set up a spread sheet in Google Docs to keep track of all the campers we looked at along with ratings and numerical values for the features. In the end it was the Freedom Express 231RBDS that came out on top for us. Quality, fit and finish was good on all the FE models we looked at, there was a good local dealer, and the price was right (38% under MSRP). Please PM me if you would like to see a copy of our spreadsheet.

Awesome, PM sent.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
flguppie wrote:
We are the same as OP. We decided on the KZ Spree Connect 220RBK. Solid wood pocket doors to bedroom, slide dinette, large bathroom in rear, outside kitchen, and solid construction .....we love it.

Here's a Link to KZ

Nice looking unit and checks all of the boxes. Unfortunately they are not sold in my neck of the woods. Nearest dealer is 500 miles away in Canada.
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

FLGup
Explorer
Explorer
We are the same as OP. We decided on the KZ Spree Connect 220RBK. Solid wood pocket doors to bedroom, slide dinette, large bathroom in rear, outside kitchen, and solid construction .....we love it.

Here's a Link to KZ
FL-Guppie "small fish in a big pond"
2024 Grand Design 22MLE
2018 Ford F150 SuperCrew 3.5L Ecoboost, maxtow

bogie514
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I just went through the same process looking for a couples camper now that our children are grown and out of the house. Part of the fun is in the thrill of the chase. We set up a spread sheet in Google Docs to keep track of all the campers we looked at along with ratings and numerical values for the features. In the end it was the Freedom Express 231RBDS that came out on top for us. Quality, fit and finish was good on all the FE models we looked at, there was a good local dealer, and the price was right (38% under MSRP). Please PM me if you would like to see a copy of our spreadsheet.
2021 Grand Design Transcend 240ML
2017 GMC Sierra 1500, 4wd, 5.3L, Crew Cab, Standard Bed, Heavy Duty Tow Package
Equil-I-zer hitch

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Area13 wrote:
Needs-Full 80" QB, solid bedroom door(s). Slide(s). Short as possible to camp in tight spots. Been looking online at 23'rs. Want QUALITY. No de-lamination, roof leaks, thing breaking in general.

How novel ... isn't everyone else looking for the same?! :W

Believe it, regardless of the folklore about one brand or another being "better" than another recreational vehicles are ALL relatively poorly made products built for the lowest price point possible that will sustain the industry ... believing otherwise is just setting yourself up for disappointment down the road. Things can and will break, if you're lucky most of those failures will be relatively minor but the chances of having to deal with a major failure are still very real with any brand. As rbpru so aptly said - "I think the biggest mistake folks make is underestimating the amount maintenance associated with a TT". Truer words were never spoken. 😉
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

The_Kroc
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at the new Jayco Jayflight 24 RBS. It has an 80 in bed, large bathroom, slideout dinette,and an outside sink & stove. Can't beat the dealer support and a 2 year warranty.

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Two years ago when bought a three year old Dutchmen Lite 25 ft TT with slide. It was as small as we could go and still be comfortable with our dog.

Never had a problem, never looked back.

I think the biggest mistake folks make is underestimating the amount maintenance associated with a TT.

You are pulling your house down the road; things can and will break.

TTs are a long ways from autos when it comes to reliability.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Area13
Explorer
Explorer
jmtandem wrote:
At 23 feet, if you can live without the slide, look hard at Airstream. If you equate quality to longevity, over two thirds of all Airstreams ever built since the mid 1930's are still on the road. Compare that to most travel trailers that might barely last the payments. If you can go 28 feet and consider pre-owned you can also get a slide in Airstream. You can have your cake and eat it, too.

Thanks, didn't think of them. SUPER cool, outta my $ range. Things are spendy......
2020 Outdoors RV 21RD
2015 F-150 FX4 5.0 3.73

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 23 feet, if you can live without the slide, look hard at Airstream. If you equate quality to longevity, over two thirds of all Airstreams ever built since the mid 1930's are still on the road. Compare that to most travel trailers that might barely last the payments. If you can go 28 feet and consider pre-owned you can also get an Airstream with a slide out. You can have your cake and eat it, too.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.