cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying a Non-bunkhouse TT for Family of 4

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Anyone else like the non bunkhouse models with open floor plans for families of four?

Our last was a non bunkhouse no slide and we really enjoyed it.

Looking at a super slide model now like the Puma 26rlss

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
29 REPLIES 29

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't have kids to worry about anymore, but I like the double over double bunks, rather than having to make up the dinette and sofa every night.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
Our previous 24' TT had single bunk over bunk, which worked okay until my 2 daughters got to be older. Last year we bought a 28' TT with the double wide bunks that are in the back corner (next to bathroom), as opposed to being on the side. The kids really enjoy the wider bunks that are out of the way, and provide plenty of storage and room for them to just hang out and read or play on tablets/ computers. We just close the curtain and you can't see any of their stuff.

At my age, I have no interest in setting up tents or converting tables/couches to beds each day. I like getting to the site and being set up and relaxing within an hour. But that's me - everyone's situation is different.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
Wishin wrote:
We have 3 kids and really like our trailer, although our priorities may be a bit different.

Why we bought the trailer we did, Wildwood 26TBSS

Essentially the same floor-plan as our 26BKS, but we have double bunks and storage underneath. The couch is turned to a bed nightly and it's linen lives on the top bunk during the day. It's very nice not having to take down the dinet as people can sit and eat while others sleep.
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

patdrury
Explorer
Explorer
We just traded our bunkhouse in. The kids could not stand the low ceiling height in the bunks. Went with a rear living room model. Kids love it and only takes a few minutes to make up the couch. Now we have more livable space to use during the day.

Wishin
Explorer
Explorer
We have 3 kids and really like our trailer, although our priorities may be a bit different.

Why we bought the trailer we did, Wildwood 26TBSS

1. Each kid has their own bed, they are fine with the smaller single beds, no complaints after having larger beds before.
2. Trailer length less than 29' from ball to spare tire
3. Very open floor plan
4. We get our own bed and private bedroom
5. The bunk beds give the kids a place to put their stuff during the day if we happen to be inside when raining.

Our last trailer had double over double beds and our neither of the older two wanted the youngest in their bed anymore. He had moved to sleeping in the cabinet/bunk over our bed. Having their own bed was more important than anything. It is easily a bigger bed than a sleeping bag they would be in out in the tent. If they get big enough to want more padding, that is easy to add. Kids are flexible, they get in and out of the bunks easily. I can see they might not work great for some adults if they are not flexible. Sleeping would be fine, getting in and out would be tougher. If we ever have an adult with us (not likely often) then we'd make the dinette into a bed as it would be a nice sized bed.

We would have gone with a bigger bunk house model as it would have given us much more storage, which would be nice, but I don't want to haul 32-33' of trailer around. Where we go the 29' trailer seems too big at times.

WILDWOOD 26TBSS
2014 Wildwood 26TBSS - Upgraded with 5200lb axles and larger Goodyear ST tires
2003 Chevrolet 2500 4x4 Suburban 8.1L 4.10's

Jwmoehrle
Explorer
Explorer
oughtsix wrote:
The reason we upgraded from a tent to a travel trailer was for a good night sleep. People in my family that do not get a good night sleep tend to be a pain in the rear... me included! Good comfortable beds for everyone and a place one person can sleep in longer if they care to make camping much more fun.

My next trailer will probably be a toy hauler. I have seen a few toy haulers with a queen in the front and dual powered queens in the garage. We don't have quads or motorcycles but the garage will be great for bicycles and kayaks. I love the idea of a built in generator and the much larger tank capacities of toy haulers.

This is exactly what my toy hauler turned into.The garage is very versatile.

oughtsix
Explorer
Explorer
The reason we upgraded from a tent to a travel trailer was for a good night sleep. People in my family that do not get a good night sleep tend to be a pain in the rear... me included! Good comfortable beds for everyone and a place one person can sleep in longer if they care to make camping much more fun.

My next trailer will probably be a toy hauler. I have seen a few toy haulers with a queen in the front and dual powered queens in the garage. We don't have quads or motorcycles but the garage will be great for bicycles and kayaks. I love the idea of a built in generator and the much larger tank capacities of toy haulers.
2006 Duramax Crew Cab Long Bed pickup.
2007 Coachman Captiva 265EX trailer.

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
Not a fan of BH models and it's a good thing since we don't need one. But IF we did, the double over double or the variation shown would be the only thing we'd consider. IIRC, the width of the single bunks is only 27" and that's just not enough for a child even nearing their teens. Another benefit of the double over double is that if you have guests, the kids can have the tent and the guests can have much more comfy beds. Happy shopping.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

AH64ID
Explorer
Explorer
As a kid that was well over 6' at an early age and riding 15hrs to go elk hunting in the back of a '92 extra cab chevy, and sleeping on small cots and air mattresses I am not sure the kids won't like it argument is all that valid.. they are still kids.

By that age I also expect them to want to sleep outside more than inside, so the small bunks give you more room.

Just my .02
-John

2018 Ram 3500-SRW-4x4-Laramie-CCLB-Aisin-Auto Level-5th Wheel Prep-Titan 55 gal tank-B&W RVK3600

2011 Outdoors RV Wind River 275SBS-some minor mods

APT
Explorer
Explorer
What about this variation of double over double?

A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

Speedogomer
Explorer
Explorer
What about a Cherokee 254q? They have drop down bunks over the dinette and couch. My good friend has one, we camp with them all the time. The bunks are big enough for me to sleep in even. Leaves lots of extra space for a huge bathroom. It's a really nice TT,and alot of features for the money.
2016 Ram 1500 Big Horn, "Katy"
2014 Outback Terrain 260trs "Alice"
2011 French Bulldog Shelter adopted edition, "Roscoe"
1982 DW, "Rachel"
2016 DD "Harper", the newest lil camper.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Bunk is also a good place to put their stuff out of the way during the day.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

When we had our TT I never felt like the dinette and the sofa were major chores. One movement and the sofa was from bed to couch and the dinette was a swing up table design so it converted in just a few seconds too. Bedding in the cabinent and the pillows generally stayed on the couch. Less than five minutes tops. I imagine the dinette would be slightly more aggravating if it was a pedestal design.

The double over double is a viable option as it does leave you with a lot of floor space.

Like the poster above I am not sure my kids would be comfy on narrow bunks of a quad bunkhouse l...they are kids but they are adult sized.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

Itโ€™s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

vjstangelo
Explorer
Explorer
We have an older BH model with a rear slide. The unit is 25' long. When looking at Hershey, we saw most BH models were 34' and longer! That's a long beast.

As empty nesters, we mainly use the BH portion for storage, and it comes in quite handy for that.

I may be swerving off topic, so I'll get back on track. With 2 kids, the 4 bunk model was very handy as many a time that baby was packed with our 2 and friends. Expect that when they are young, friends will come along and they will need a place to sleep.
2012 Winnebago Vista 32K
2011 Honda CRV Toad