Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Thinking of buying a TT

rubsal70
Explorer
Explorer
Hello
I was wondering how expensive it is to own a TT. I'm wondering how much is spent on gas and is it worth it? Do y'all use the TT because yall dont want to use a hotel. Is it more expensive than just getting a hotel. Obviously everyone is different but I'm looking for ballpark number
Thanks
50 REPLIES 50

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
For most of us...it's a hobby. An expensive one.
RV'ing is not a way to save money.
There are many, many benefits, but saving money is not one of them.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

johnrbd
Explorer
Explorer
Since we sold our truck & 5th wheel two yrs ago (due to health reasons and lack of sufficient use) we REALLY MISS having our "STUFF" with us.

We had been accumulating a duplicate of all the comforts of home. Now when we do happen to travel out of town and stay at motels we get very bored. Cable sucks, limited quantity of channels and poor quality.

But we do get 33-34 mpg. Doesn't take long to pack two suitcases and overnight bad and laptop. Trailer would take a day or two to prepare, load in fresh linen, clothing and food.

I hate trying to use wife's 15.6" laptop when I used to 25" monitor/desktop, prefer mouse over pad. Don't have to scrolled nearly as much to see the entire page.

On long trips, 3 mos or so, rv is the only way to go UNLESS you are in a hurry with limited time, then fly.

If you have a capable truck to pull trailer and stay within weight ratings, you still have to travel a lot to cut down the $$$ per mile to reasonable level. You don't rv to save money. You rv to enjoy the outdoors and see this beautiful country of ours.

Off my soap box now:B.

rubsal70
Explorer
Explorer
Well the rv is 14999 and I have a truck that gives me 21hwy n 15city. Max towing for my truck is 8100. We like the outdoors as well. We do fishing and hunting so we are definitely outdoors people. The max driving we do is about 190 miles. I'm not sure how much lower mpg I will get when pulling. We do camp a lot or fish a lot so we have to stay at hotels cause of family. If it's me and the boys we camp out.

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
As mentioned. It really depends on where, and how you camp, and what you want to do.

For us, We like to stay at an oceanfront CG in Myrtle beach. One week in the campground just steps away from the sand comes to around $600.00. The same week in an oceanfront Condo, or motel room for the same amount of people, is around $3000.00. So we are looking at a $2400.00 per week saving. Enough of a saving that in only 7 trips the TT has paid for itself, and that does not take into consideration the weekend trips to the mountains that save more than $200.00 per trip over motel rooms.

And for us, we don't have to count the TV into the equation, as we had a truck before we got the TT.

One the other hand. IF you plan on going long distances just for the weekend. A Motel can be more cost effective, IF you get a room with a small kitchen. Remember camping / RVing you have your kitchen along, and do not have to eat out every meal. Another huge saving. In fact. While camping. Food is not counted toward vacation costs. You have to eat at home as well, and in the TT the cost is the same.

Honestly. If not for the TT, there are many places we could not have gone, a week at the beach would only be a dream. Several trips to the mountains a summer would be a dream as well. The TT makes all that possible for us.

And should you want a to go without it. So what. Just go. You don't have to take it every time you leave the house.

As for gas. You will burn gas with out the TT, Just not as much. Insurance is the other main expense. and it is not all that much either. Mine is less than 600 per year. You will need to put tires on it every 4 years or so, and winterize it every winter. About $6.00 for that.

Wash and wax for me free, as I enjoy making my stuff look good. Not much else maintenance really. Grease the hubs once a year, and done.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

bid_time
Nomad II
Nomad II
Owning an RV is not cheaper than staying in a Holiday Inn - no matter what others say. And if you don't use it regularly it's more expensive. You have the cost of the RV, maintenance (and time), insurance, increased gas cost to tow, have to own a bigger vehicle equipped to tow (which vehicle cost more to own and operate plus insurance is more), etc. etc. etc.

It's just different. I can't roast marshmallows in the lobby of a Holiday Inn.

Doug33
Explorer
Explorer
There are so many variables. New or used and how much did it cost to purchase a TT? What are you going to tow with? Our Avalanche only gets about 15 mpg normally, and that is reduced to 10 mpg while towing. Remember if you drive toll roads your cost will increase due to the extra 2 axles.

How much you save depends on how much you camp. I know a lot of people that have TTs but only use them 1-2 times per year. It also depends (sans TT) on whether you would be staying at a Motel 6 or a Radisson Inn.

I like to be outdoors and camp, not stuck in a motel room. So I don't really focus on any cost savings. When we stay at hotels, it is probably an average of $100/night, while CGs can be $40-$60/night. If I camp 20 nights a year, then that is a savings of: 20 nights x $50 = $1000/year.

Depending on how/where you eat, you can also save on food if you cook at the site, which is usually not an option in a hotel. This could be a substantial cost savings.
2014 Keystone Bullet 281BHS
2002 Chevy Avalanche 5.3L 4x4
Equalizer hitch
Nights spent camping in 2015: 25
Next trip: mid-April 2016?