cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new converter

bpetroni
Explorer
Explorer
I have 2012 Keystone Hideout 27RBWE. My converter is a 12V 55 AMP unit OEM. For some reason my converter stopped working, I confirmed I have 110V going to the unit and the on-board fuse is good. I have been told the OEM units are not that good. I like to dry camp and use a generator to keep my battery charged. Do you have any suggestions for a good converter upgrade that won't break the bank?

Thank You
13 REPLIES 13

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
You read about people having failed WFCO converters and that they are junk but until it happens to you, you don't think much of it.

Our TT is about 2 1/2 years old and in that time 2 batteries have failed. We were on a road trip in August when the 2nd battery failed and the WFCO had tripped the breaker and smelled like burning insulation. Got Best Converter to ship a PD replacement to the next CG 2 days away in NV. Showed up as promised. Everyone says customer service from Randy is excellent and it is. Upgraded to an AGM purchased at an O-Reilly's in Gilroy and kept it going for a couple of days with a trickle charger. I always suspected the WFCO wasn't working quite right from the day we got the TT but didn't really suspect the battery died because it.

Below is the old WFCO 8955 and the new PD replacement side by side. Just looking at the PD tells you it's better - cooling fins are twice as big, it's got 2 fans instead of one, the caps are physically larger, transformer is larger and one toroidal core is much larger. It's even made in the US. Only took minutes to do the re & re.

bpetroni
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all very much for your advice

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
LJAZ wrote:
I just did this with mine. Original Equipment WFCO 8955 converter gave up the ghost so I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 from Best Converter. Price won't break the bank either.

Another shout out of praise for Best Converter. They set me up with a Progressive Dynamics direct replacement for my obsolete OEM in my TC. Price was very doable!!
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Lspangler
Explorer
Explorer
I went with the powermax and wish I had picked something else. It only bulk charges for 15 minutes then goes to 13.6 volts. When I charge with my generator and I know the batteries are low, I wait for it to change modes. I can hear the generator idle down so I unplug for a minute and plug back in. That forces it into bulk charge again. I might do that 3 or 4 times in the morning

Linc

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
bpetroni wrote:
I couldn't figure out what type my converter is because my online searches came up blank for the stamped part# on my unit. But the last four digits are 8955. Thanks for the advice!
yes google wfco 8955 and you will see a picture.

I recommend a PD9260 or 45 or 55 amp IOTA.

http://www.bestconverter.com/ Don't let Randy sell you another WFCO. If using a generator don't get a Powermax either.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I've been very happy with my PDI 9260.

bpetroni
Explorer
Explorer
Artum Snowbird wrote:
I do hope you have put your meter leads right onto the converter output terminals. I was plugged in for three days and my battery failed. When I went looking, the converter was putting out full output, and the negative lead was loose under the screw.

Thanks, I wish this was the case but on-board fan won't even turn and the caps are leaking.

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
If you have to... converter
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

LJAZ
Explorer
Explorer
I just did this with mine. Original Equipment WFCO 8955 converter gave up the ghost so I replaced it with the Progressive Dynamics PD4655 from Best Converter. Price won't break the bank either.
2011 Chevy Silverado Crew Cab 4X4
2009 Funfinder 210 WBS
Prodigy P3

Artum_Snowbird
Explorer
Explorer
I do hope you have put your meter leads right onto the converter output terminals. I was plugged in for three days and my battery failed. When I went looking, the converter was putting out full output, and the negative lead was loose under the screw.
Mike
2012 Winnebago Impulse Silver 26QP
2005 16.6 Double Eagle
2018 Jeep Wrangler JK
previously Snowbird Campers,
Triple E Motorhome and Fifth Wheel

bpetroni
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
bpetroni wrote:
My converter is a 12V 55 AMP unit OEM.

Probably a WFCO 8955 which never bulk charges properly at it's claimed 14.4 volts. :M

Do you have any suggestions for a good converter upgrade that won't break the bank?

Forget the bank, get a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 with the included charge wizard. Throw the WFCO in a garbage can. 😛

Thanks, I believe you are correct I couldn't figure out what type my converter is because my online searches came up blank for the stamped part# on my unit. But the last four digits are 8955. Thanks for the advice!

horton333
Explorer
Explorer
Hi:

Depending on which converter you have ...... these may be good options.

Click her.

These units will do a very good job at a very reasonable price. They fit right in for many of the OEM converters on recent units (esp the 55 Amp models). They do have a higher than normal voltage in bulk charge, which in some (rare) cases may not be desirable but the vast majority of the time this will be a significant advantage if you are actually charging batteries that are used (as opposed to always plugged in where anything will keep them charged).

Click Here

This is a PD upgrade for many of the OEM 55 AMP units out there. It's a brand name, and works well.

If neither is what you need this site has most everything and sending their support an email will get you a quick and informed reply if you have questions.

Ford Explorer or Chrysler 300C to tow with.
Tracer Air 238 to be towed.
Triumph Thunderbird Sport - with the toy-hauler gone it's at home.
Retired very early and loving it.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
bpetroni wrote:
My converter is a 12V 55 AMP unit OEM.

Probably a WFCO 8955 which never bulk charges properly at it's claimed 14.4 volts. :M

Do you have any suggestions for a good converter upgrade that won't break the bank?

Forget the bank, get a Progressive Dynamics PD9260 with the included charge wizard. Throw the WFCO in a garbage can. 😛
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380