cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Time for a new truck

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
I've been out of the RV world for 5 years now, but need a new vehicle and thinking of getting a trailer again so looking at trucks -- just a "half" ton though. Here are some impressions:

- They have sure gotten expensive.
- I'm so excited about backup cameras and integrated brake controllers. But disappointed to read about the issues with the Ram's controller.
- Glad to finally see small diesel and turbo gas options, but wish there were more. A little disappointed the Ecoboost doesn't get better mileage.
- Dealers still don't order these things right. IMO any truck with a class IV hitch should have the full package -- backup camera, brake controller, towing mirrors, lower gears, etc. A lot of the Rams did, but none of the Fords I saw had the mirrors and many didn't have the brake controller, and the lower end ones didn't even have a camera. And disappointed Ford makes you spend a fortune on a tow package for basically just a trans cooler and upgraded stabilizer bar that ought to be standard equipment.

Not sure what I'll do but given that I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible I won't be able to get what I want, but the Ford 2.7 looks like the best overall option. I only plan on getting small trailer.
Craig
44 REPLIES 44

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, they are in their own price range it seems, and seem to hold their value fairly well. I bought a Durango with lots of options like Nav, leather, V8, etc a few years ago for $35-something, yet a truck like that would cost a lot more. Sure, there's more metal in the truck, but there's arguably more cost, especially chassis engineering, in the Durango. I mentioned how cheap my nicely optioned 3500 Cummins that I got before that, and before it I had a nicely optioned Ram 2500 Hemi I got for $28k. I see these magazine tests of trucks in the $60k-plus range and just shake my head.

Although you could have a really nice truck by combining the best features of all, I'll be lucky if I can find one with just some basic stuff at a reasonable price.
Craig

silverfz
Explorer
Explorer
Trucks on their own price range. Think of my shock when I quoted 30k for a few lariat and lamarie with close to 100k. My wife had a stratus , me tauras. We also owned a Camry and decided to go toyota.my tundra was a limited crewmax with 85k when I got it . It always bothered me as buy new and sell around 90k. Well now at 125k it Is just getting started to tow a camper.
2014 avenger 28 bhs
2008 Toyota tundra crew max
guarded by bear the mini dashound
running from payload police edition

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
RockDodger wrote:
My wife wants a Toyota Tundra. She can't even see over the steering wheel, but she is a huge Toyota fan, so I reckon I will be going to the dealer soon. I personally like the Dodge Ram trucks but in a marraige you are not always in charge ya know.

Sounds just like my in-laws.
Craig

We_ll_See
Explorer
Explorer
I'm thinking of the Johnny Cash song about the GM vehicle he built (a Cadillac?) but here is my idea of a good half ton in today's market:

• Ram Eco Diesel Economy
  • Ford 3.5 Ecoboost Motor
  • GMC or Ram exterior
  • Ram or GM Interior
  • GMC 20" wheels
  • Max tow and max payload
  • GM bumper step
  • Toyota Quality
  • GM Wifi in cabin
  • The in dash display screen from the Tesla!
Jeep and Explorer

RockDodger
Explorer
Explorer
My wife wants a Toyota Tundra. She can't even see over the steering wheel, but she is a huge Toyota fan, so I reckon I will be going to the dealer soon. I personally like the Dodge Ram trucks but in a marraige you are not always in charge ya know.
Terry & Marsha
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 4X4 Super Crew
1987 Sunline Satellite T-2153

Northeast Illinois

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
What sort of prices are you seeing on these half tons?

I got my Cummins at Dennis Dillon last spring for $39k before tax and title, and it's a 4wd crew basically optioned out like a standard SLT Ram or XLT Ford. A 6.4 would run more like $34k. Just throwing it out there as a basis for comparison. Their website would list their current deals, which may be a tad higher because the sticker went up some on the MY 2016.

My sticker was $51k so it sounds like we got similar discounts. I think it's worth a test drive on the Cummins and 6.4, and Super Duty for that matter. I drive my Ram daily and find it very comfortable in that use. It rides stiffer than a half ton but the coils offer a surprisingly good ride and handling balance for a HD truck. I couldn't beat Dillon's price and if you can't either it's only a 40 minute flight up to Boise and they'll pick you up at the airport and run you out to the dealer. It would give you a nice shakedown drive back home too.

So far I only see Tradesman versions for those prices, anything like an XLT or SLT with a power seat/lumbar is a lot more.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
BillyW wrote:
If you're buying a "half ton", I think that is a non-issue. It apparently only applies to larger brake assemblies that need more power to operate. I agree it is a consideration, but I can tell you my trailer brakes perfectly. By far the best controller I've ever experienced.

Good thought and good to know, that makes sense, thanks.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
At any rate I'm still struggling with what to get. There's an issue with every option; I don't know why it takes so long for these companies to learn from each other and their customers; do they not read the reviews? And it still amazes me that they don't bother to order a backup camera on any truck, or trailer brake controllers and mirrors on trucks with a tow package, especially considering what these things cost and the other more expensive options they put on.

I looked at the HD options but I really don't need that much and this will be my daily driver so mileage is somewhat of an issue. I've seen great deals on the gas ones, but the diesels are more than I want to pay when equipped how I want -- true, not that much more than some of the the other trucks, but I have to draw the line somewhere. But towing equipment and payload are always there so I'll still keep any eye on them.

I started leaning back towards Dodge, but the low payload capacity is a turn-off, and my dog would really appreciate the flat floor in the Ford. I finally did find a few F-150's with trailer mirrors, but they were all pretty loaded. The only thing I really need above the base models is lumbar support, but you can't get that without spending thousands more. I've tried a million lumbar cushions and didn't like any; you just need a thin layer of tapered foam.
Craig

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, they are a business, but a good business will understand that not every customer is the same and tailor their sales approach accordingly. I went to one Ford dealer and they couldn't get past the "how much do you want to pay a month" question, they couldn't focus on what I wanted in the truck. Maybe that's the main issue with most people, but I will figure out how I'm going to pay for it after I figure out what my options are. And at best they wanted me to walk around the entire lot and see if I liked anything. I tried that at first but eventually left. And do they think people actually think the sales manager is their friend?

I also love how they always sneak in several hundred dollars of worthless add-ons in the finance office.

Although initially the other dealer was lame too, eventually they were very straightforward; they sat me down in front of their computer, we looked through their and other dealer's inventory, and they showed me the invoices on any one I was interested in. One thing that's really frustrating is not knowing how much it's really going to cost you with most dealers; how am I supposed to make a decision without knowing that? That's one thing I like about Dillon.
Craig

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08e9k-c91E8

My first new car was a 1973 super beetle with air 2100 bucks.
Then a 1974 Toyota Corolla SR5. 2400.

Since the Ford I have purchased 2 new vehicles. Paid cash for both.

Cash Days have come and gone I guess.

Oh GOD, where have the good times gone"

:B

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
Buddylam, sounds like you haven't been to a car dealer in 36 years, lol. But they were probably just a slimy back then too!
If you want a new truck, leave the emotion out of the dealer bs. I agree their tactics s uck but they're trying to make money and you want a truck. they don't care about you or the truck. Not unlike a lot of other businesses.
If you got good credit, stand your ground. Also plan on wasting a couple days of your life finding the truck you want at a dealer that won't hose you. I hate dealers too but I'd be inclined to find one of the good high vol dealers that has a good rep, Dennis Dillon, Dave Smith, Indy Truck and go get your truck. Like you said, only have to please yourself and rolling w the camper in a nice new 2016 anything will feel lie, you died and went to heaven over your 1980.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

buddyIam
Explorer
Explorer
In preparation for retirement I have been searching for a while also. I am getting very discouraged. Not just with the prices but the sales process.

For instance.

After looking at diesels for a while and reading about the Ram 6.4 reviews on this board. I decided to take a look.

I did the pre approval process on the web. And was approved for the 1.9%. I was pleased.

Went to the dealer and with only a little bargaining they dropped a 44,000.00 1 ton single rear wheel tradesmen down to 35.000.00. I was pleased it felt like a great single rear wheel 1 ton. Heck at 1.9% I could be well under the 450.00/ month I had figured on paying..

But they came back with the papers and give a 540.00 month payment. I told them I was approved for the 1.9% loan. They come back with, we don't do that rate with trucks. You can only get 3.9% on trucks. My GOD, that's 100.00 a month just because I want a truck!!!

Some people might say I am hard headed and can carry a grudge. But in this case I think I have the right to begrudge a raping. Very deceitful advertising at the least.

So I said no thanks. I can get a nice 25 foot class C for not much more than the price of the gas truck. And the only reason I hadn't been looking very hard at the Class C's was because the lack of a diesel in Class C's

A friend of mine was a manager at the RV dealer. A person a few years younger than me. But a friend that grew up with me. Literally right next door to me as a kid. I am not exaggerating a bit, right next door. Just over the fence. We played football in the street together.

I found a great Class C. 10,000.00 dollars less than the cost of a decent new trailer and any truck I would consider. I was happy.

Then just like the commercial, out of my friends mouth came. Your Credit score is ***** so your interest rate will be. I said BS I just came from Dodge. And I also check my credit score monthly.

I am completely discouraged. It has made me think things all over again. I will never put more than 5000 miles a year on my truck for camping. I am single so if I would make a long trip, moteling would be much cheaper.

I have driven my 1980 Ford for 36 years with exceptionally good luck. My camper is solid with no leaks.

What can I do to my rig for over 500.00 a month? A bunch I'd say.

As I said I am single. I have only myself to please. And I can't please myself while I am kicking myself in the butt for being suckered into a bad deal.

I still have the urge in the back of my head. But it is dimming, just like headlights in my rear view mirror.

Yea I admit. I can hold a grudge. After all the lies, some people were calling back as many as 5 times a day. It's like they have never heard of caller ID.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
hemismith wrote:
IdaD wrote:

I got my Cummins at Dennis Dillon last spring for $39k before tax and title, and it's a 4wd crew basically optioned out like a standard SLT Ram or XLT Ford. A 6.4 would run more like $34k. Just throwing it out there as a basis for comparison. Their website would list their current deals, which may be a tad higher because the sticker went up some on the MY 2016.

FWIW, if I were buying a half ton I'd be leaning towards a 3.5 Ecoboost. I like the way the engine behaves in terms of the torque curve. Ford makes a really good half ton truck, imo.

I hadn't gotten around to checking that dealer, sorry, but I do see prices way lower than I've seen around here. Wow, tempting, I'll look at them. I also paid $39k for my 3500 SRW 4x4 mega cab Cummins SLT (sticker was $52k) but that was 2009 and there were bigger rebates then.

My sticker was $51k so it sounds like we got similar discounts. I think it's worth a test drive on the Cummins and 6.4, and Super Duty for that matter. I drive my Ram daily and find it very comfortable in that use. It rides stiffer than a half ton but the coils offer a surprisingly good ride and handling balance for a HD truck. I couldn't beat Dillon's price and if you can't either it's only a 40 minute flight up to Boise and they'll pick you up at the airport and run you out to the dealer. It would give you a nice shakedown drive back home too.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

hemismith
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:

FWIW, if I were buying a half ton I'd be leaning towards a 3.5 Ecoboost. I like the way the engine behaves in terms of the torque curve. Ford makes a really good half ton truck, imo.

I hadn't gotten around to checking that dealer, sorry, but I do see prices way lower than I've seen around here. Wow, tempting, I'll look at them. I also paid $39k for my 3500 SRW 4x4 mega cab Cummins SLT (sticker was $52k) but that was 2009 and there were bigger rebates then.
Craig

Fixed_Sight_Tra
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking for a 3/4 ton to replace an older Tahoe I'm using to tow a 7,000# toy hauler. I get excited about buying a new truck (I have a business so buying new makes more sense than used) but then I see how much it costs to get the trailer towing package and off road package on a base package crew cab and decide my Tahoe will last another year.
Big Brother is watching.