cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Time to recaulk....what's best?

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
It's time to re-caulk my TC. Anyone have suggestions for brands/types?
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires
19 REPLIES 19

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Looks like I'll use Proflex. Thanks everyone!
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

kaz442
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think using eternabond tape on around the window frames would look "butt ugly". it is one thing on horizontal/flat roof seams and another where visible.
I know if I was looking for a used RV and if I walked up and saw tape on the sides, I would graciously thanks the seller for his time and leave.

bumpy

They make double sided eternabond. That is what I used on my windows. I did have to pull them out and apply it but I'll never have any leaks.

As for caulk 3M 4200 UV . Its a marine caulk,sealer and adhesive all in one. It UV protection so it doesn't deteriate like other caulks. Use it on every marker light and seem on my rig and 5 years later still looks new. Why is use something like dicor that IS going to fail and have to be redone. For thd roof seams eternabond tape.

Good luck
Jkaz
1989 26' Jayco class C E350 460cu

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
proflex

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
While we are on this, caulk is around trim inserts as well. What do you use for that? I think the primary purpose is to hold the trim insert in place and leaks aren't a big worry. NOTE: this is not to be confused with cault around the outside of the trim or on the inside of the trim.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Before you put down the proflex...are you removing the old caulk?
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor would not be my choice for around windows.
Bob

romore
Explorer II
Explorer II
I used Proflex. Easy to apply but keep the opening small as the stuff is somewhat runny and drips if applied too heavily. My first attempt looks somewhat less than professional:R I used putty tape under the trim then sealer for added insurance.

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Once again I am going to be in the minority, but I think anything you smear on the outside of a joint is going to be a very short term solution to waterproofing, if it works at all. I know this is the standard practice in the RV industry, more's the pity (no one does this on a boat). The sealant belongs in the joint between the two things being sealed, not smeared over the top.

Having spent many, many hours removing cracked, hardened and failed Dicor, I wouldn't use a bucket of that stuff for a doorstop.
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for pro flex. just got thru recaulking with it and it did a great job. al c.

alcaracu
Explorer
Explorer
x2 for pro flex. just got thru recaulking with it and it did a great job. al c.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Dicor and/or Eternabond.

Dome
Explorer
Explorer
pro flex

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Geewizard wrote:
I have mostly vertical joints to caulk: around the flashing, hatches, windows, etc. No experience with eternabond tape but lots of people on here seem to like it.

For vertical surfaces I use Dicor.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.

Mello_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
I think using eternabond tape on around the window frames would look "butt ugly". it is one thing on horizontal/flat roof seams and another where visible.
I know if I was looking for a used RV and if I walked up and saw tape on the sides, I would graciously thanks the seller for his time and leave.

bumpy

I would, too. Eternabond tape is for the horizontal roof surfaces not vertical.
2016 Northstar Laredo SC/240w Solar/2-6v Lifeline AGMs/Dometic CR110 DC Compressor Fridge
2013 Ram 3500 4x4/6.7L Cummins TD/3.42/Buckstop Bumper with Warn 16.5ti Winch/Big Wig Rear Sway Bar/Talons w/SS Fastguns
My Rig
1998 Jeep Wrangler
US Navy Ret.