cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Build Date: How Old is Too Old?

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
I've convinced myself to replace the Maxxis M8008 ST 215/75R14 tires with the Maxxis UE-168 205/R14C tire. My local tire dealer in Northern California can order them from the Maxxis warehouse in Southern California. The warehouse has 7 in stock, all with a build date of 5214, meaning that they were built in the last week of last year. That means that these "new" tires will be nearly a year-old when installed on my single axle trailer.

Year-old tires seem pretty old to me. The Maxxis M8008 tires were only about three months old when installed three years ago.

What do you think? Too old and take a pass on them? Or go ahead with the purchase?

Bruce
2012 Lance 1575 TT pulled by 2013 4WD Expedition with HD Tow Package
23 REPLIES 23

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
It so nice to have the OP actually post the final outcome to his question or problem! Wish more would do that. Thank you BruceH.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks again, everyone, for your input. Spent some time last evening reading reviews of the Kumho 857 and saw too many folks with negative experiences with them to feel comfortable moving forward.

Moved to Plan C. Ordered the same tires I've had on the trailer for the past three years: Maxxis M8008 ST215/75R14. They have worked well. I suspect that in three years I will get the itch again to go to a light truck tire, maybe it will work out this next time. ๐Ÿ™‚

Bruce

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Just to chime in, I just purchased a 2012 Gulfstream. I was of the onion that I could go until 2017 until I needed to worry about tires. When I found the DOT# on my tires they were 4910. If I'm correct, they were manufactured during the 49th week of 2010 so they are 5 years from the build date. If they were stored correctly (and I have no way of knowing that) those 2 years they sat around shouldn't be factored in much in the aging process. But if they were kept outside it would have to be factored.
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
dspencer wrote:
dodge guy wrote:
I'de have no problem running 1 year old "new" tires! They haven't been used, been sitting in a warehouse and I doubt they were in direct sunlight (which is a real killer for RV tires). So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Many new cars come with tires that are 6 months old! Most RV tires are at least a year old when he RV is purchased!

X2

x3 The Maxxis tires I bought came in individual cardboard boxes. That said, I probably won't buy any more because they aren't sold in many tire stores, making warranty adjustments difficult, not that I had any problems with my Maxxis.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

dspencer
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
I'de have no problem running 1 year old "new" tires! They haven't been used, been sitting in a warehouse and I doubt they were in direct sunlight (which is a real killer for RV tires). So I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Many new cars come with tires that are 6 months old! Most RV tires are at least a year old when he RV is purchased!

X2

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

Dannyabear1
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:
If you are considering the Kumho's, it seems that you are looking to go to a LR "D" tire. I like the Kumho but the 195R14C is hard to find.(That is almost identical in size to the 205/75R14). If you are looking for a "D" rated tire, don't rule out the Hankook Radial RA08 as they are getting good reviews as a trailer tire.

I couldn't find the Kumhos so I went with the Hankooks RA08, seems like I recently read where the 195R14 was being discontinued.

93Cobra2771
Explorer
Explorer
Pass on the tires. And run your current ones to 5 years.

FYI, when you pull your old tires off, you can likely sell them on craigslist if you put a decent price on them. Lots of people look for trailer tires on the cheap, and don't really care if they are a bit old.
Richard White
2011 F150 Ecoboost SCREW 145" 4x4
Firestone Ride-Rite Air Springs/Air Lift Wireless Controller
2006 Sportsmen by KZ 2604P (30')
Hensley Arrow

bob213
Explorer
Explorer
If you are considering the Kumho's, it seems that you are looking to go to a LR "D" tire. I like the Kumho but the 195R14C is hard to find.(That is almost identical in size to the 205/75R14). If you are looking for a "D" rated tire, don't rule out the Hankook Radial RA08 as they are getting good reviews as a trailer tire.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality โ€“ Ayn Rand

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
I feel I am fairly conservative, and I go 5 years on trailer tires. So if I were you, I would run my tires another two years.

If you go 5 years on tires, and get tires that are one year old, ask for a 20% discount (I know my Discount tire will do this). Doesn't change the age of the tires, but it allows you to run them for 4 years at the same price as 5 if they were new.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bruce_H_
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, everyone, for your responses. Almost everyone votes for fresh tires and to pass on these nearly-year-old ones. That reality check is helpful. I will start looking for fresher ones. It may mean going to Plan B, the Kumho 857.

Bruce

tvman44
Explorer
Explorer
When I buy tires for my trailer or truck I tell the dealer before hand I will not except anything over 3 or 4 months because I am buying time as I don't put that much mileage on my tires and it is always age that get them.
Papa Bob
1* 2008 Brookside by Sunnybrook 32'
1* 2002 F250 Super Duty 7.3L PSD
Husky 16K hitch, Tekonsha P3,
Firestone Ride Rite Air Springs, Trailair Equa-Flex, Champion C46540
"A bad day camping is better than a good day at work!"

CaLBaR
Explorer
Explorer
If your current Maxxis are only 3 years old why trade them. Maxxis have a 5 year warranty from date of manufacture. I wouldn't waste the money on new tires yet.
2018 Grand Design Reflection 297RSTS
2019 RAM 3500 SRW Big Horn 4x4, 6.7 Cummins/Aisin
2007 Rockwood 8298 SS (Traded in 2018)
2009 Toyota Tundra 4x4 Crew Max 5.7L (Traded in 2019)
HP Dual Cam Sway Control
Prodigy Brake Controller

scrubjaysnest
Explorer
Explorer
Our camper when new, 2011 model, came with 2 year old tires. They lasted4 years and 1 week from manufacture date.

Go with others recommendation of within 3 months.
Axis 24.1 class A 500watts solar TS-45CC Trimetric
Very noisy generator :M
2016 Wrangler JK dinghy
โ€œThey who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.โ€ Benjamin Franklin