cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire chains DRW ....winter camping..need help

dokkema1
Explorer
Explorer
Can anyone recommend a tire chain supplyer and advice on install on a DRW p/u truck...do I put on just the outer tire..??
11 REPLIES 11

SanDiegoHighway
Explorer
Explorer
Ozlander wrote:
~DJ~ wrote:
State laws out west on these steep mtn grades also require a drag chain on the trlr.

Drag chain?:?

if towing, chain up the rearmost axle that has brakes, to keep the trailer from trying to *pass* you, when attempting to stop -- kinda important :E

fuelhauler
Explorer
Explorer
A drag chain is a set of chains you put on a trailer for braking. With my semi truck & trailer I pull a four axle trailer & will chain up the right rear outside dual tire & the left front dual outside tire. If you are pulling a utility trailer or cargo trailer I would put a set of chains on one tire either side so when you are braking it will help keep everything straight & not jack knifing your trailer when braking.
2005 Dodge q/c 4x4 dually six speed pac brake
2014 Arctic Fox 990
2014 16' smokercraft

gkainz
Explorer
Explorer
dually chains are not that hard to install, in my opinion. Of course, I'm about 30 years out of practice, so I might change my tune if I had to chain up a dually again. At the risk of stating the very obvious (gonna anyway, since I've seen way too many people try this) ... do NOT lay the chains out on the ground and drive onto them, expecting to be able to pull them up and around the tire.

Ok, everyone say "well DUH!" ๐Ÿ™‚

I've never had to jack up, drive up on boards, etc. Simply lay the chains out beside the tires, getting all the cross-links straight, etc, then lift them up in the center and lay it over the top center of the duals. Loosely hook the front chain to keep them in place, then crawl in and hook the rear chain as tightly as you can get it, sawing the chain back and forth in the ice and snow (of course there's ice and snow - why else would you be chaining up?).

Repeat process on the front links.

Drive forward a few complete revolutions and tighten up the chains. Drive a little bit (half-mile or so?) and then recheck/retighten.

Ditto the poster's comments above on chains on the trailer as drag chains.
'07 Ram 2500 CTD 4x4 Quad Cab
'10 Keystone Laredo 245 5er

Ozlander
Explorer
Explorer
~DJ~ wrote:
State laws out west on these steep mtn grades also require a drag chain on the trlr.

Drag chain?:?
Ozlander

06 Yukon XL
2001 Trail-Lite 7253

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
SanDiegoHighwayman wrote:
WesternRoamer wrote:
If you are running on steep mountain roads, towing or moving on unpaved roads over a 6% grade, chain both axles. Outer rear and front are bomber. If towing, chain the rear axle of the toad (minimum).

Yup, GOOD advice!

'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

SanDiegoHighway
Explorer
Explorer
WesternRoamer wrote:
If you are running on steep mountain roads, towing or moving on unpaved roads over a 6% grade, chain both axles. Outer rear and front are bomber. If towing, chain the rear axle of the toad (minimum).

Yup, GOOD advice!

WesternRoamer
Explorer
Explorer
- WR
07 Bigfoot 25C10.6 - Trklft, FstGuns, Enclosed AGMs, Xtrx L20, PD9270C, Solar, ESPAR Aux Heat.
08 Ram 3500 CTD, 4x6, 6sp, 3.73, Ride-Rite, Frnt Hitch, Rear Stlth Rack, H2000i Gen, Jeep Tow.

loggenrock
Explorer
Explorer
www.tirechains.com - great site - good products/good prices. We only chain the outside dual on our fire apparatus... ST
Two and a hound in a 2015 Coachmen Prism "B+"...pushed by '09 Suby Forester
First 50 done, working on the second pass! Nunavut - we'll see...!
2005-2015 Roadtrek 190P
1993-2005 Northstar Soft-Side TC
1989-1993 Backpacks & Tents!
1967-1977 Family TT's

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Go to les Schwab tires. Their policy about returns if you don't need them in the spring can't be beat

Clattertruck
Explorer
Explorer
Drive up on a board under the inside wheel and then chain up the outside wheel. Many years ago I tried full dual chains, and what a mess. That's a job invented by the devil.
Clattertruck
2008 SD F450 Pickup PSD 6.4L CC 4X4 DRW, Lariat Auto trans 4.30 LS, 2013 Lance TT 1885, Toyota 2014 Tundra Crew Max 5.7.