cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Repalcements

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we replaced 2 tires on our TT, and just had one Blowout on the way home from Va. Then I noticed on the sidewall lip that they were made in Bejing China.

Does any one know of any Trailer tires made in the US? Or at least decent ones made elsewhere? Thanks for the input and help !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
87 REPLIES 87

Tequila
Explorer
Explorer
I still read lots of stuff from "experts" on not using LT tires. This seems like on of those subjects you can ever get a straight answer on.

http://www.carlisletransportationproducts.com/cms_files/original/Trailer_Tires__Tips_Best_Practices.pdf

This video is useful https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6SwwRnmp1Q

I think TPMS monitoring system is your best option

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
md_procouple wrote:
WOW !!! I didn't realize I would start a war on a simple question about tires for the trailer. Thanks for every ones opinion and ideas, I think we will go for the use of LT tires, and stay away from "Trailer tires".

Wise choice in the long run.

The war has been going on for a long time with the usual culprits ๐Ÿ™‚

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
md_procouple wrote:
WOW !!! I didn't realize I would start a war on a simple question about tires for the trailer. Thanks for every ones opinion and ideas, I think we will go for the use of LT tires, and stay away from "Trailer tires".

Wise choice in the long run.

The war has been going on for a long time with the usual culprits ๐Ÿ™‚
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Lowsuv wrote:
Here is a quiz :
Which tire is likely to be a better tire ?
Tire One
225/75R15 load range D
diameter = 28.3" x 8.8 " section width
Max speed rating 65 mph
Tire weight = 31 #
Made in China
Cost is $ 89 each
OR Tire Two
The 225/70R15 Load Range D
diameter = 27.4" x 9 " section width
Max speed rating 106 mph
tire weight is 33 #
Made in Germany
Cost is $ 156 each
Both tires are made by the same manufacturer .
Both tires use the same wheel and fit in the same space under the trailer .

Oo, oo, Mr Cotter, pick me. I know the answer to this one!

The 225/75R15, because it has more natural load carrying capacity - assuming both tires are made with exactly the same materials in exactly the same way.

But I think there are some missing pieces of information. First is the letters in front of or behind the tire size that tell the intended service of the tire. There is also the issue of load carrying capacity - which is kind of dependent on those letters.

And then there is the bit of information we will never know the answer to - and that is what is the ACTUAL materials used in the making of the tire. Even though they may be made in different places, that doesn't mean there is a difference in quality, nor design. On the other hand, they could be completely different. We just don't know.

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

DarrellQ2001
Explorer
Explorer
Tough, tough, tough describes the Goodyear HMG 20/20 Bias ply tires. Best trailer tire I have ever used. D rated, made in Canada for U-Haul. (when you google them, the picture of the tread is not an accurate depiction.) I averaged 75 mph with an 8500 lbs gross weight trailer and the temperature per the monitor never went over 96 degrees. Pressure stayed steady also. Love these tires.

With two different trailers have had tread separation and sidewall bubbles on tires made in China with under 2000 miles. Just turned 4800 miles on my Goodyear HMG 2020 and they look like new. And let me tell you, the roads on this recent trip were ROUGH.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
fe

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
JJBIRISH wrote:
Huntindog wrote:

JJ likes to talk a lot about the legalities as that scares some people... But really, according to him I should still be running ST tires as there are no other options...
In spite of the fact that I spent MANY thousands of dollars continuously upgrading the size and load rating of ST tires as I bought into all of the claims that are made for them.

And here is where you would be wrong againโ€ฆ

While I do believe there are legal issues I have never claimed there are no other optionsโ€ฆ
I have never claimed a LT are not an option providing itโ€™s the right LTโ€ฆ the rules create these controversies and the vehicle manufacture apply the rules for their vehicles, and the tire companies respect the vehicle manufactures authority to size and spec the tires available to the particular vehicleโ€ฆ
And I would love to see the full quote where I suggested you should still be running ST tiresโ€ฆ

Warranty issues exist only because tire manufactures have chosen to not include some uses in most cases and exclude them maybe in some othersโ€ฆ tire manufactures have paid many dollars to lawyers to exclude words and create ambiguities to relieve them of certain liabilitiesโ€ฆ that is why you donโ€™t find broad based words like trailer, their absence doesnโ€™t mean inclusionโ€ฆ or GY includes very limited models for RVโ€™s
Commercial tire manufactures with one exception go out of their way to exclude the word trailer for liability reason alsoโ€ฆ

As an example this information is taken directly from the Continental tire website and catalog about their commercial Vanco tire lineโ€ฆ

1 - โ€œThe growing demand for short-distance transport of passengers and goods
also leads to increased requirements so that the performance of modern day
((vans)) nears that of passenger car.โ€

2 - โ€œThe concept of the VancoTM Camper is to use long well-proven Vanco
technique, optimize its performance for distinguished ((motorcaravan))
requirements and thus ((cater to the needs of this specific target use)).โ€

3 - โ€œThe Continental Vanco Camper tyres are part of Continentalโ€™s Vanco tyre
range that comprises ((tyres exclusively for vans)).โ€

They make no such mention or even a hint of trailer use and exclusively seem to say for trucks and vansโ€ฆ

Legalities may never become a problem for you, and I hope they donโ€™t, but if you are somehow involved in an accident, some slick lawyer will find all of the ambiguities to exploit and you may have voluntarily relieved the tire manufacture of their liabilities and raised the price of defending yourself very muchโ€ฆ

This is OK, but you should be FULLY AWARE of how your decisions can involve yourself and accept those elevated riskโ€ฆ
Anyone you recommend this to should also be able to hear about those potential risk toโ€ฆ

So be as critical about them as you please, disagree all you want, but they are there and should be discussedโ€ฆ they should also be considered by anyone taking it on their own even with your recommendation to consider everythingโ€ฆ
There ya go again.

You end it with all these veiled legal implications.

So please tell me what to do...... Really after all my failures, I should be scared of LT tires that have NEVER failed me?
If I were still running ST tires and continued with the failures... Would that not be irresponsible on my part? Some slick lawyer could have a field day if they managed to find out about all my failures, yet I continued to do the same thing over and over... Worse yet, one of those failures just might end up ending it all for me....But hey, I would've died being legally protected in your eyes. That would make my widow feel better right?
:R
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I can think of two "commercial light truck" tires that the manufacturers state as usable on trailers. Kumho 857, Yokohama RY215.

Why does one suppose various trailer companies fit as OE and/or approve the use of LT tires on their trailers ? Could it be they know it is a viable option, and have at the very least run it by the tire companies here in this litigious country we live in ?
I for one, would think so, and as I stated previously, when I get approval from the trailer company, I consider it "good to go".

EDIT: And why does Good Year not state the G26 cargo as trailer applicable ? Well, I will admit, I don't know, but I can speculate: perhaps because they know it would dilute/pull sales from what is likely a VERY profitable line of ST tires ( Marathon ).
I am retired from a multi-billion dollar corporation. When we shifted some of our production to china, our total cost to produce and ship chinese made product was 22% compared to our USA production. THAT is very healthy added margin for the owners of a corporation and it's shareholders.

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
Here is a quiz :
Tire One
225/75R15 load range D
Max speed rating 65 mph
Tire weight = 31 #
Made in China
Cost is $ 89 each
OR Tire Two
Max speed rating 106 mph
tire weight is 33 #
Made in Germany
Cost is $ 156 each

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
All my trailers run LT, of various brands. And are approved by the trailer manufacturers.

I use three different brands of LT tires on my RV and equipment trailers/tri axle stock trailer and have a registered with those companies with full warranty from their mfg.

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a quiz :
Tire One
225/75R15 load range D
Max speed rating 65 mph
Tire weight = 31 #
Made in China
Cost is $ 89 each
OR Tire Two
Max speed rating 106 mph
tire weight is 33 #
Made in Germany
Cost is $ 156 each

JJBIRISH
Explorer
Explorer
Huntindog wrote:

JJ likes to talk a lot about the legalities as that scares some people... But really, according to him I should still be running ST tires as there are no other options...
In spite of the fact that I spent MANY thousands of dollars continuously upgrading the size and load rating of ST tires as I bought into all of the claims that are made for them.

And here is where you would be wrong againโ€ฆ

While I do believe there are legal issues I have never claimed there are no other optionsโ€ฆ
I have never claimed a LT are not an option providing itโ€™s the right LTโ€ฆ the rules create these controversies and the vehicle manufacture apply the rules for their vehicles, and the tire companies respect the vehicle manufactures authority to size and spec the tires available to the particular vehicleโ€ฆ
And I would love to see the full quote where I suggested you should still be running ST tiresโ€ฆ

Warranty issues exist only because tire manufactures have chosen to not include some uses in most cases and exclude them maybe in some othersโ€ฆ tire manufactures have paid many dollars to lawyers to exclude words and create ambiguities to relieve them of certain liabilitiesโ€ฆ that is why you donโ€™t find broad based words like trailer, their absence doesnโ€™t mean inclusionโ€ฆ or GY includes very limited models for RVโ€™s
Commercial tire manufactures with one exception go out of their way to exclude the word trailer for liability reason alsoโ€ฆ

As an example this information is taken directly from the Continental tire website and catalog about their commercial Vanco tire lineโ€ฆ

1 - โ€œThe growing demand for short-distance transport of passengers and goods
also leads to increased requirements so that the performance of modern day
((vans)) nears that of passenger car.โ€

2 - โ€œThe concept of the VancoTM Camper is to use long well-proven Vanco
technique, optimize its performance for distinguished ((motorcaravan))
requirements and thus ((cater to the needs of this specific target use)).โ€

3 - โ€œThe Continental Vanco Camper tyres are part of Continentalโ€™s Vanco tyre
range that comprises ((tyres exclusively for vans)).โ€

They make no such mention or even a hint of trailer use and exclusively seem to say for trucks and vansโ€ฆ

Legalities may never become a problem for you, and I hope they donโ€™t, but if you are somehow involved in an accident, some slick lawyer will find all of the ambiguities to exploit and you may have voluntarily relieved the tire manufacture of their liabilities and raised the price of defending yourself very muchโ€ฆ

This is OK, but you should be FULLY AWARE of how your decisions can involve yourself and accept those elevated riskโ€ฆ
Anyone you recommend this to should also be able to hear about those potential risk toโ€ฆ

So be as critical about them as you please, disagree all you want, but they are there and should be discussedโ€ฆ they should also be considered by anyone taking it on their own even with your recommendation to consider everythingโ€ฆ
Love my mass produced, entry level, built by Lazy American Workers, Hornet

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
All my trailers run LT, of various brands. And are approved by the trailer manufacturers.

I use three different brands of LT tires on my RV and equipment trailers/tri axle stock trailer and have a registered with those companies with full warranty from their mfg.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Crazy forum double post again
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes