cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tire Repalcements

md_procouple
Explorer
Explorer
Two years ago we replaced 2 tires on our TT, and just had one Blowout on the way home from Va. Then I noticed on the sidewall lip that they were made in Bejing China.

Does any one know of any Trailer tires made in the US? Or at least decent ones made elsewhere? Thanks for the input and help !!
Vickie, Me, and "Scruffy" our dog make THREE
:W
87 REPLIES 87

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
After all of this name calling has not anybody understood that :
The Goodyear Cargo G26 225/70R 15 load range D is the most tire we can buy that fits our 15 inch wheels ?
The data is there .
To put it bluntly , do not be fooled by the recent posters who offer no valid solutions better than the G26 .
They do not show evidence supporting their position .
Instead they resort to degrading the messenger .
These 3 are robbing the rest of us of the best solution by simply clouding the issue with their personal attacks .
Not one of them would last 10 minutes in a face to face discussion that required a working knowledge of these tires .
View the posts by JJ , MM , and FE and decide for yourself if any of these fellows do any in depth analysis to reach a logical conclusion .
Compare their knowledge to LowSuv , Huntindog , GMWPhotos , PartyMarty , Sprinklerman , and a few others for yourself .
The latter group just plain has a better working knowledge of the tire issue than JJ, MM , and FE .
Hence the name calling by JJ , MM, and FE .
With all of you accumulated knowlage not one OEM tire manfacture has supported your position. Every OEM ST manufacture has reccomended the use of ST tires. Maybe is a west coast thing?
MM49

Of course MM49 is now grasping at any hope .
His name calling did not work .
His knowledge is limited so he does not have any facts to back up his claims .
Specifically which OEM manufacturer has not supported the usage of the Goodyear Cargo G26 tire ?
Name One .
Show me .
You're Up big guy .

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle wrote:
legolas wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Keep in mind that Lowsuv never misses an opportunity to bad mouth Maxxis tires. He's correct when he recommends LT tires if your trailer can handle the larger size. If you are stuck in the 14" range, your best choices are Maxxis or Kumho 857. In a 15" tire you are again limited and Maxxis would be my first choice. in a 16" you have a wide range of LT tires that would serve you well.

I hate to get in to this....knowing the angst of it ......however, are there no 15" LT tires that can go on a TT?

Not often.

FE

Thank You Fast Eagle for that knowledgeable information .
That was helpful .
Another answer is Yes .
Try researching the Goodyear Cargo G26 load range D tire .
3 sizes including the aforementioned 225/70R15 which fits everywhere that the ST 225/75R15 fits , without any modifications .

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
The Goodyear Cargo G26 225/70R 15 load range D is the most tire we can buy that fits our 15 inch wheels ?
The data is there .
To put it bluntly , do not be fooled by the recent posters who offer no valid solutions better than the G26 .
These 3 are robbing the rest of us of the best solution by simply clouding the issue with their personal attacks .
Not one of them would last 10 minutes in a face to face discussion that required a working knowledge of these tires .
View the posts by JJ , MM , and FE and decide for yourself if any of these fellows do any in depth analysis to reach a logical conclusion .
Compare their knowledge to LowSuv , Huntindog , GMWPhotos , PartyMarty , Sprinklerman , and a few others for yourself .
The latter group just plain has a better working knowledge of the tire issue than JJ, MM , and FE .
With all of your accumulated knowlage not one OEM tire manfacture has supported your position. Every OEM ST manufacture has reccomended the use of ST tires. Maybe is a west coast thing?
MM49

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
I'm from the boating world (no trailer yet we sold the boat to buy a trailer), and the tire debate is even more brutal on boat trailers, because you get the saltwater and repeated dunking in salt (or even fresh water) is brutal on bearings so you get more failed bearing causing heat causing failed tires. Anyways, the boat guys LOVE KUMHO 857 CAMP if they fit, the best web factoid I ever saw was "a lot of landscapers put them on their trailers, ever see a dead landscape trailer?" I think pretty much all ST tires are made in china now. Here's my take on "Made in China". The product gets designed and sent to China, the prototype comes back, the quality is fine, and the product is put into production. At the factory level, "someone" substitutes a lower grade material, pockets the cost difference and no one is the wiser til the failures start.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
JIMNLIN wrote:
I hate to get in to this....knowing the angst of it ......however, are there no 15" LT tires that can go on a TT?

Sure. We have a few sizes and a couple of load ranges in a 15" LT and all position cargo/van/trailer tires.
Depending on room in the wheel well and proper wheel pressure/wheel width requirements the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT235/75-15 C (50 psi) at 1980 lb capacity. Most LT tire makers carry this size.

And a Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D (65 psi) at 2090 lbs capacity.

Maxxis LT U-168 are a commercial grade tire with several 15" sizes and have became popular with all types of trailer owners.

Vanco 2 from Continental another popular tire for trailer users has several 15" sizes and load capacities.

I see the Yokohama RY215 in a 700R 15 D at 2040 lbs capacity is popular on some of the other RV websites.

Do your home work on the numbers.

There is also the Nexen SV820 load range D tire. I have no first hand knowledge of this brand, but I will make the following observations about them:

1. there is at least one camper trailer mfr that is fitting them as standard
2. Nexen is apparently ( I have read this, but don't know for sure ) is about to become an OE supplier for at least one of the OEM car manufacturers, which is one of the "standards" that I personally base my choices on
3. It is available various mail order and the 14" is avail also at walmart

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
The data is there .

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer

Sure. We have a few sizes and a couple of load ranges in a 15" LT and all position cargo/van/trailer tires.
Depending on room in the wheel well and proper wheel pressure/wheel width requirements the Goodyear Wrangler HT in a LT235/75-15 C (50 psi) at 1980 lb capacity. Most LT tire makers carry this size.

And a Wrangler HT in a LT215/75-15 D (65 psi) at 2090 lbs capacity.

Maxxis LT U-168 are a commercial grade tire with several 15" sizes and have became popular with all types of trailer owners.

Vanco 2 from Continental another popular tire for trailer users has several 15" sizes and load capacities.

I see the Yokohama RY215 in a 700R 15 D at 2040 lbs capacity is popular on some of the other RV websites.

Do your home work on the numbers.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

coolbreeze01
Explorer
Explorer
No angst here :B but I can't find an E rated 15" LT tire.
2008 Ram 3500 With a Really Strong Tractor Motor...........
LB, SRW, 4X4, 6-Speed Auto, 3.73, Prodigy P3, Blue Ox Sway Pro........
2014 Sandsport 26FBSL

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
legolas wrote:
bob213 wrote:
Keep in mind that Lowsuv never misses an opportunity to bad mouth Maxxis tires. He's correct when he recommends LT tires if your trailer can handle the larger size. If you are stuck in the 14" range, your best choices are Maxxis or Kumho 857. In a 15" tire you are again limited and Maxxis would be my first choice. in a 16" you have a wide range of LT tires that would serve you well.

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
bob213 wrote:

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
You guys are getting lost in the finer, individual points of the whole thing. Go back to my "cliff notes" version post several posts above.
This really is not that hard. Cheap stuff gives poorer performance, better stuff gives better results.
See ? No need for endless paragraphs. Few readers are going to wade thru posts that go on and on. ๐Ÿ˜‰

FastEagle
Explorer
Explorer
FastEagle

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
Keep in mind that it is LowSuv's intention to help the civilians on this forum with their tire issues .
LowSuv includes in his posts the logical evidence that indicate that Maxxis is a provider of lower grade tires .
Other motorheads on his forum who have decades of experience upgrading their tires on their hotrods , sportscars , pickups , and other trailers have a good understanding of how a real upgrade in tires is possible for little expense at changeover time .
LowSuv does not enter into personal attacks on this forum .
Maxxis ST tires are most often supported on this forum by references , such as " I really like them " , or " my tire guy ( whoever that is ) says you cannot use LT tires on a trailer ".
My whole intention is to allow other RV forum members to make a real upgrade that will eliminate / mitigate future ST tire failures going forward .
The evidence supports the position that Maxxis tires are not a better brand than other ST tires .
Those suggestions that just replacing OEM tires with a maxxis tire of the same load weight rating are just plain wrong . There is no gain to be made by that Maxxis replacement .
LowSuv repeatedly gives reasons why for 15 inch tires the 225/70R15 load range D Goodyear Cargo G26 is the clear first choice .
LowSuv repeatedly gives reasons why for 14 inch tires the 205R14 Kumho 857 load range D is the clear first choice .
A search through " view posts " for LowSuv will show that his suggestions are supported by logical evidence and have been consistent for a long time .
As a motorhead LowSuv made his first tire upgrade in 1964 on his 1955 BelAir by going to 720x15 tires instead of the 670x15 tires that came stock .
LowSuv has been upgrading his tires ever since .
I encourage upgrading tires at replacement time .
Changing brands to Maxxis does not accomplish this .
It would help if LowSuv was honest. He keeps on recommending LT tires that are rated at lower weight ranges for equivalent sizes and tires that don't fit our rims or trailer wheel openings. The increased leverage of using LT tires that are not designed for trailer usage is potentially damaging to the trailers suspensions and frames. Lt Tires don't meet the performance standards of ST tires.
MM49

Just to be clear :
MM49 asserts that LowSuv is not being honest .
Out west we try to keep the conversation civil .

Lowsuv
Explorer
Explorer
MM49 wrote:
Lowsuv wrote:
MM49 has resorted to character assassination because the facts do not support his position .
Using the " view posts " feature one can ascertain that LowSuv recommends using the Gargo G26 225/70R15 in place of the ST 225/75R15 tire .
LowSuv has given the dimensions of that G26 and it is available just a few posts above by PartyMarty .
The G26 225/70 will also fit most trailers that came standard with the ST205/75R15 but it is up to the user to check that .
The G26 225/70R15 fits our stock rims .
I have said repeatedly ( view posts ) that if you are going up a size that you need to measure .
I installed Continental Vanco2 215/70R15 at changeover time instead of my stock ST205/75R15 with no measurement issues .
Increased Leverage ?
Really ?
How many threads are there about damaged trailer suspensions and frames ?
How many threads are there about LT Tires causing damage to trailer suspensions and frames ?
The biggest problem we are addressing is that ST tires are overrated in sidewall weight capacity .
Using the " view posts " feature it is possible to find the exact comparisons of tires made by the same manufacturer that shows that the ST standard allows a 15 % weaker / cheaper tire to be used .
The post above by PartyMarty is one of those comparisons .
LT tires Exceed the performance standards of ST tires .
That has been proven many times on this forum .
A new first, every single statment is wrong.
MM49

MM49
If that is so , then prove it .
Line by Line , please .

MM49
Explorer
Explorer
Lowsuv wrote:
MM49 has resorted to character assassination because the facts do not support his position .
Using the " view posts " feature one can ascertain that LowSuv recommends using the Gargo G26 225/70R15 in place of the ST 225/75R15 tire .
LowSuv has given the dimensions of that G26 and it is available just a few posts above by PartyMarty .
The G26 225/70 will also fit most trailers that came standard with the ST205/75R15 but it is up to the user to check that .
The G26 225/70R15 fits our stock rims .
I have said repeatedly ( view posts ) that if you are going up a size that you need to measure .
I installed Continental Vanco2 215/70R15 at changeover time instead of my stock ST205/75R15 with no measurement issues .
Increased Leverage ?
Really ?
How many threads are there about damaged trailer suspensions and frames ?
How many threads are there about LT Tires causing damage to trailer suspensions and frames ?
The biggest problem we are addressing is that ST tires are overrated in sidewall weight capacity .
Using the " view posts " feature it is possible to find the exact comparisons of tires made by the same manufacturer that shows that the ST standard allows a 15 % weaker / cheaper tire to be used .
The post above by PartyMarty is one of those comparisons .
LT tires Exceed the performance standards of ST tires .
That has been proven many times on this forum .
A new first, every single statment is wrong.
MM49