cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Tires for tow vehicle

crittersitter
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2004 Ford Expedition that will be our tow vehicle. Needs new tires. What would be a good choice? Will be towing a 5000lb travel trailer 2000 miles next month but then will be towing only short distances a few times a year. I assume a LT rather than P tire. Does it have to be E rated? Don't want to spend top dollar but enough for a decent 50k mile safe tire. Suggestions?? Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

fdwt994
Explorer
Explorer
Great post! I'm in the same boat myself so very timely. "vmoses", thanks for the link.
2018 F250 6.2 Crew Cab
2018 Salem Hemisphere GLX 312QBUD
A family who loves to camp!

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Here is an interesting and informative article on LT- vs P-metric tires. I can't disagree with anything in the article which addresses the subject of this thread properly and presents more up-to-date knowledge as well, IMO.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
You don't see too many "C" load range tires any more, maybe in 15 inch. Most you'll see now are 8 and 10 ply. If your weighing out pros and cons for the guy that tows only a few times a year but needs tires and wants to be as safe as possible..... Cons: Only 1 I can think of and that's more expensive. The Pro's: stiffer side wall make for better towing, stronger sidewall makes for less chance of a rock or any debris puncturing the sidewall, longer life of the tire. I've done this years ago with my 99 Tahoe, towing a tongue heavy car trailer..... One trip down the highway with "P" tires then switched to LT and what a difference and little to NO ride quality sacrifice.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

DodgeVoltage
Explorer
Explorer
crittersitter wrote:
Just bought a 2004 Ford Expedition that will be our tow vehicle. Needs new tires. What would be a good choice? Will be towing a 5000lb travel trailer 2000 miles next month but then will be towing only short distances a few times a year. I assume a LT rather than P tire. Does it have to be E rated? Don't want to spend top dollar but enough for a decent 50k mile safe tire. Suggestions?? Thanks!

Goodyear Wrangler SilentArmor. I have had my set on 2 trucks now and they still have 3/4 tread. They have Kevlar in them and, knock on wood, I've not had a flat yet. They are a 50,000 mile tire and I probably have 25,000 or 30,000 miles on them. I will replace these when the time comes with another set.
2010 Dodge 3500 Mega Cab Cummins Diesel DRW
2009 GMC 2500HD D/A Crew Cab
2012 Dutchmen 3795 Voltage Epic Package
2012 Smart Fortwo Passion
2017 Smart Fortwo Proxy
AD USAF 1996-2011 1700+ hrs E-3B/C AWACS
NYANG 2011-Present

K-State Wildcats!

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
If the vehicle comes with P tires and you want LT, then the next logical step up would be to a "C" rated LT. No need for an "E" rated tire unless it is the only one that is available.

I put "C" rated LT's on my dodge van and it was the best thing i did. P rated tires are a compromise of smooth riding and load carrying. Most people want smooth riding untill they realize when they load up a truck/suv and it sways when going down the road that they are looking for an alternative.

I just put General Grabber HT's on my Excursion. Very good tire with a good hwy tread and it is a low rolling resistance tire.

Good luck!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
I am 200lbs under my gvwr and 950 lbs under my gcwr. I had it weighed on cat scales. I try to pack light to keep it that way. I thought if the tires were softer on the side wall like P's are they had a little more bounce to them unlike the lt's which were stiff to up and down movements. I do know that the rear shocks are getting a little older so that may be it too. The TT is 5680 dry.

No....it's your WD hitch that needs adjusting. Also, keep in mind that some combinations of tow vehicle and trailer will bounce no matter what you do.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
I am 200lbs under my gvwr and 950 lbs under my gcwr. I had it weighed on cat scales. I try to pack light to keep it that way. I thought if the tires were softer on the side wall like P's are they had a little more bounce to them unlike the lt's which were stiff to up and down movements. I do know that the rear shocks are getting a little older so that may be it too. The TT is 5680 dry.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
NCMODELA wrote:
So, I have a question just like the op, I have a 03 yukon xl, 6100 TT loaded. I am pushing my capacities but only tow 3 or 4 times a year at max 200 miles each way. I need new tires on my truck, I was going to go with the hankook ht LT E tires. The yukon has a slight pourposing effect driving down the road but it is not awful. It has a little sway but not awful. I was hoping the E rated tires would take this out but would XL's do it too?

thanks
Bill

The purposing is not a tire issue, generally speaking. You can adjust your WD hitch, this may take care of it. XL tires have a stiffer sidewall and may help with sway.

If you are carrying a family with you when towing-your in all likelihood overload.

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
I must agree that the ultimate choice between factory P's and replacing with LT's does come down to how much you tow but..... The difference in performance is huge when towing and the ride quality difference when not, is negligible. Yes the LT's cost more and no they don't "have" to ride rough when not towing. I have never been impressed with the factory equipped tires on any vehicle. Bottom line the LT's did a better job, made me safer and cost a little more and safety is one area where I will not scrimp.

As always.... Opinions and YMMV. :C

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
What your feeling could be a combination of many things. Including tires, shocks, and worn suspensions components. Having a stiffer sidewall a LT tire is going to give a better towing experience. Less squish equals better handling period. Like others have already said properly aired LT tires will still give a smooth ride. As for P metric tires on 1500 series trucks? So what? The manufacturers install tires that make the vehicle certified for a certain weight rating. They are not interested in towing as long as you do not exceed the vehicles GVWR.

NCMODELA
Explorer
Explorer
So, I have a question just like the op, I have a 03 yukon xl, 6100 TT loaded. I am pushing my capacities but only tow 3 or 4 times a year at max 200 miles each way. I need new tires on my truck, I was going to go with the hankook ht LT E tires. The yukon has a slight pourposing effect driving down the road but it is not awful. It has a little sway but not awful. I was hoping the E rated tires would take this out but would XL's do it too?

thanks
Bill

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
I think we forget that most half-ton trucks on the market come with "P" rated tires when new. And those tires must handle the tow rating as supplied by the manufacturer.

Exactly - well put. Maybe the engineers at the manufacturer possibly know a thing or two - it is not all marketing. Concur with the rest of your post as well.

For me my 1/2 ton is my daily driver and with the tires I have on it now I have no need nor intention of putting any LT tires on it even if they are Michelins. I also feel very comfortable jumping in it and towing anwhere I need to go.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

campigloo
Explorer
Explorer
lumpy790 wrote:
getting 6 new tires this week and the tire shop does a ton of dually set ups on trucks, box vans (likeI have) and people haulers. They suggested Uniroyal tires. Opinions on them?

I have run Uniroyal Laredo on my last 2 TV's. My new truck came with Michelin LTX A/S and I have been really disappointed in them. When I replace them @ 60,000 miles, Uniroyals will be on the truck. I've been told the Uniroyal is a division of Michelin, but to me the Uniroyal rides smoother, has better traction, is quieter than the Michelin and longer tread life.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
CKNSLS wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
I continue to be amazed by the myth that all LT tires ride rough. :h If you buy the right tires and properly air them up the ride is smooth and quiet while providing superior (vs P's), performance.

One of the keys in selecting the right tire is get a street tread. I recommend the Michelin LTX M/S 2's. I put them on my truck and the improvement in ride and handling was awesome. I just got a set installed on our C (thanks to the recall of the old M/S's) and they are so much smoother two or three of the persistent rattles that plague most C's disappeared. If you are towing anything, get rid of the P's as that is not what they were designed to do.

As Always.... Opinions and YMMV. :C

If you air them up to maximum pressure they will ride very rough. There is NO ADVANTAGE TO BUYING LT TIRES AND THEN ONLY FILLING THEM TO 2/3rd CAPACITY. There goes your load ratings out the window....

Ridiculous! :S You air tires, any tires, to the proper pressure based upon the load they are carrying. If you are towing, air them up to that load, if not air them to the reduced load they are actually carrying. The advantage of LT tires is the heavier construction/higher plys which do not vanish as the load and appropriate pressure is dialed in.

Airing an LT to its max rating does NOT necessarily dictate a rough ride. A street tread, aired to the proper pressure based upon the load it carries will give a smooth and quiet ride. If that is not what you are getting it is time to check your suspension, shocks etc... the tires are not the problem.

:R

I think we forget that most half-ton trucks on the market come with "P" rated tires when new. And those tires must handle the tow rating as supplied by the manufacturer. If your an occasional tower like the OP then LT Tires are heavier, and will result in an mpg ding when not towing-which he will be doing far more than towing. If he asked as a fulltimer, my answer would have been different.

I towed 2,500 miles (moving every three days) on "P" rated tires and then replaced them (due to then wearing out at 40,000 miles) with an XL tire, which towed better than the "P" tire but were not costly like an LT tire nor substantially heavier like an LT tire.

You still moving bulk even though the LT tire has less air when not towing.