cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires for tow vehicle

crittersitter
Explorer
Explorer
Just bought a 2004 Ford Expedition that will be our tow vehicle. Needs new tires. What would be a good choice? Will be towing a 5000lb travel trailer 2000 miles next month but then will be towing only short distances a few times a year. I assume a LT rather than P tire. Does it have to be E rated? Don't want to spend top dollar but enough for a decent 50k mile safe tire. Suggestions?? Thanks!
27 REPLIES 27

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III
CKNSLS wrote:
Desert Captain wrote:
I continue to be amazed by the myth that all LT tires ride rough. :h If you buy the right tires and properly air them up the ride is smooth and quiet while providing superior (vs P's), performance.

One of the keys in selecting the right tire is get a street tread. I recommend the Michelin LTX M/S 2's. I put them on my truck and the improvement in ride and handling was awesome. I just got a set installed on our C (thanks to the recall of the old M/S's) and they are so much smoother two or three of the persistent rattles that plague most C's disappeared. If you are towing anything, get rid of the P's as that is not what they were designed to do.

As Always.... Opinions and YMMV. :C

If you air them up to maximum pressure they will ride very rough. There is NO ADVANTAGE TO BUYING LT TIRES AND THEN ONLY FILLING THEM TO 2/3rd CAPACITY. There goes your load ratings out the window....

Ridiculous! :S You air tires, any tires, to the proper pressure based upon the load they are carrying. If you are towing, air them up to that load, if not air them to the reduced load they are actually carrying. The advantage of LT tires is the heavier construction/higher plys which do not vanish as the load and appropriate pressure is dialed in.

Airing an LT to its max rating does NOT necessarily dictate a rough ride. A street tread, aired to the proper pressure based upon the load it carries will give a smooth and quiet ride. If that is not what you are getting it is time to check your suspension, shocks etc... the tires are not the problem.

:R

wintersun
Explorer II
Explorer II
The best rated tires by testing outfits and user are the Michelin LTX tires which are sold by Costco so easy to get warranty work done while traveling if it becomes necessary. These are also above average in ride comfort and excellent in terms of tread life.

Go with at least a 8-ply rated tire (though it will probably not actually have 8 plies). Stay with the same size tire that the Expedition had from the factory - check the owners manual.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Desert Captain wrote:
I continue to be amazed by the myth that all LT tires ride rough. :h If you buy the right tires and properly air them up the ride is smooth and quiet while providing superior (vs P's), performance.

One of the keys in selecting the right tire is get a street tread. I recommend the Michelin LTX M/S 2's. I put them on my truck and the improvement in ride and handling was awesome. I just got a set installed on our C (thanks to the recall of the old M/S's) and they are so much smoother two or three of the persistent rattles that plague most C's disappeared. If you are towing anything, get rid of the P's as that is not what they were designed to do.

If you air them up to maximum pressure they will ride very rough. There is NO ADVANTAGE TO BUYING LT TIRES AND THEN ONLY FILLING THEM TO 2/3rd CAPACITY. There goes your load ratings out the window....

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
Sensory perception varies from person to person, but as correctly stated, each to his own.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

Desert_Captain
Explorer III
Explorer III

Turbo_Diesel_Du
Explorer
Explorer
I just changed my "P" tires to LT275 65R 18 E's Falkens Rocky Mountains on my 2013 F150 CC 4X4. Running 50psi front and 60psi rear. Can't tell the difference in ride from original Ps.Have the tow package and it should handle my 8200 lb TT OK. Seems more stable empty. JMHO
charles weidman

lumpy790
Explorer
Explorer
getting 6 new tires this week and the tire shop does a ton of dually set ups on trucks, box vans (likeI have) and people haulers. They suggested Uniroyal tires. Opinions on them?
Tow vehicle E450 Moto Hose Box Van
06 Victory Lane TH
YZ250 Smoker Supermoto
YZ450F
86 TY250 trials bike

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
bbq-breath wrote:
P tires would be fine for your set up. I wouldn't sacrifice ride for towing a few times a year.

I could not agree more. The "conventional wisdom" on these boards tends towards overkill and LT tires versus P tires are a good example of that. LT tires make a lot of sense for a vehicle that is primarily used to haul and tow, as opposed to a daily driver, and where the load ranges require such a tire. Otherwise it is an unnecessary waste of driving comfort and maybe normal road driving performance (compounds are typically different). That is my opinion, of course. Others will likely disagree.

OP - I had factory supplied Goodyear Eagle LS2 20" tires on my truck which was rated at 7000# and it worked fine towing my ex hybrid (600# / 3800#) and my current trailer (800#/ 7200#)

I now have Cooper Discoverer HTP P-rated tires which are XL (eXtra Load) tires for my size are they are far superior regular driving tires to the Goodyears and tow even better. That is the tire I recommend for you.

You are driving a vehicle that is primarily a passenger vehicle that occasionally does some towing, The tires should match that mission profile.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
CKNSLS wrote:
Agree with BBQ. Either "P" rated tires or "XL" with give slightly stronger sidewalls than "P". But LTs are overkill and not needed.

Just air the "P" or "XL" tires to maximum inflation when towing.

I don't know why on this forum some feel the need to recommend much more than needed.

Your right, the op's setup would be just fine with his standard tires, I'd take the air pressure to the max indicated on the sidewall and hit the road with NO worries at all.

So the op mentioned LT tires say 8 or 10 ply.... Yes they will make for a harder overall ride but not too hateful and yes they will be more expensive but it will make for a better towing experience regardless of whether the stock tires will and they will do the job. You will get longer life out of the LT tires than you would with "p" or "xl" tires.

My brother tows with no problem and no safety issues with a 2008 Taboe with the oe 20 inch tires and about the same tt weight the op has. If your tires are good just add air before towing, get you a nice weight dist. setup and off you go. If your in need of tires, well you have options that's a good thing. Look at the pros and cons of both and go camping.

And who cares if the responces are a little overkill because there are always the others that will chime in with the other side of things..... That's what we need on a forum like this.

It may have been already said but if you go LT just to be safe have high pressure stems installed. They don't have to be metal, they make a rubber pull thru with a copper or metal stem.
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
Agree with BBQ. Either "P" rated tires or "XL" with give slightly stronger sidewalls than "P". But LTs are overkill and not needed.

Just air the "P" or "XL" tires to maximum inflation when towing.

I don't know why on this forum some feel the need to recommend much more than needed.

bbq-breath
Explorer
Explorer
P tires would be fine for your set up. I wouldn't sacrifice ride for towing a few times a year.

abc40kids
Explorer
Explorer
Firestone Transforce HT, Uniroyal Laredo HT, Nitto Dura Grappler... All good pics
Jeff,Julie,Amber,Brandon,and Casey and Winston ( our 5 year old Golden ) and Bruno the Pug. We now have an English Cream, white Golden Retriever as well.
2015 Keystone Montana Mountaineer 356TBF
2005 Chevy duramax dually

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
LT tires would be your best choice for towing. The stiffer sidewalls will make the ride a bit harsher, but towing they will help reduce the squishy feeling.
Just be careful to not choose a too aggressive tread pattern as that will also cause squirrely handing.