cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires - Load Range D vs E

mfoster711
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trailer uses 225/75R15 load range D tires. Checked my local tire stores and all of them only had load range E tires in stock. One of the guys tried to push me into getting load range E because "they are a much higher load rating and can handle a lot more weight" and he questioned why I didn't just want the load range E tires. I told him I did not want load range E for several reasons:
  • Load range E tires have to be inflated to 80 PSI and might cause a rougher ride
  • my wheels are not rated for load range E
  • I would also need to replace my spare to ensure I don't mix load ranges

He was polite after that and ordered some load range D tires which will be in this week.

Truth being told, my wheels might be rated to handle load range E. I just didn't want the load range E tires because I thought it would be overkill for my trailer and may cause a rougher ride. My max trailer weight is 7500 lbs so I could actually use load range C and be just fine.

I am just curious how many of you would have just gone ahead and took the load range E tires they had in stock. Do you think it would make a difference in the ride?
2015 Ford F150 King Ranch
2014 Outback Terrain 250TRS

Previously:
2007 Ford F250 Diesel
2009 Jayco Eagle 30.5 BHS Super Lite 5th Wheel
34 REPLIES 34

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
E tires have a another belt ?? Never heard that one.

Our modern radial ST and LT C/D/E/F/G highway (not a off road tire) tires all usually have two carcass plies and two usually steel tread belts. The P tire usually has one carcass ply.

This happened to one poster who thought bigger tires on the trailer and then derate them with low pressures is better so go big.

Posted: 04/27/17 08:01am Link | Quote | Print | Notify Moderator
When it came time for me to replace our tires, I researched many different ways to go. I wound up purchasing 17.5" J rated medium duty truck tires and wheels. When all done and said, it was $5.00 per wheel and tire combo more than just replaceing the 16" tires. This tire and wheel combo is good for 6005 pounds each. Using the inflation chart to get the pressure for the load, I inflated to 80 psi which was good for 4500 pounds per tire. With the first tow with these tires to Kansas City, I have made this trip to the speedway several times before, I was down almost 2 mpg both ways. The tires were 20*-25* hotter than the truck, which I have never wxperienced before. I inflated them to the side wall pressure, 125 psi for max load, before our trip to Florida. Now the tires run 5*-10* cooler than the truck and my fuel mileage is back where it used to be. I have always run max pressure up until I installed these tires, with what I have experienced, I will continue to run what the side wall indicates.**
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
theoldwizard1 wrote:
2oldman wrote:
I don't know.

As for the rougher ride, you don't have to inflate a tire to its max. But, the E's may have a stiffer sidewall.
Not inflating a trailer tire to near its maximum will result in more sidewall flexing. More flexing means more heat which will lead to faster wear or possibly failure.
But they're talking about running it at well under its load rating, which means less sidewall flexing. It's very common to run tires at less than their maximum pressure rating. Some tire manufacturers put out charts with suggested pressure based on the load. The max pressure is only correct for the max load.

Running near the max pressure, but with a load significantly less than max, is what will result in greater wear.

theoldwizard1
Explorer
Explorer
2oldman wrote:
I don't know.

As for the rougher ride, you don't have to inflate a tire to its max. But, the E's may have a stiffer sidewall.
Not inflating a trailer tire to near its maximum will result in more sidewall flexing. More flexing means more heat which will lead to faster wear or possibly failure.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I went with LRE when I replaced my LRD tires, but the rims were also rated for LRE, and I inflate them to 75psi. In 15K miles I haven't noticed any difference in ride but the trailer does seem to track better. And they are wearing evenly, even though I have a fair amount of reserve capacity.

Many of the ST tire mfg recomend inflating to max pressure regardless of load.

but if the rims are only rated for LRD, most of the advantages of a LRE tire are lost. you will still get an extra belt, but not much else.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

LadyRVer
Explorer II
Explorer II
Replaced all 4 tires on my fifth wheel after 2 blowouts, same trip. Upgraded to load range D, per tire shop recommendation. 80 p.s.i. I am very pleased with the change.

gmw_photos
Explorer
Explorer
I currently own and run four trailers. Three of them I bought new. One of them is 7500 GVWR, and came with load range E from the factory.

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
My TT has had the 15" tires switched out to 16" and they're load range E as I like the additional safety factor. I also carry two spares.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
E's have another belt, they're stronger. Inflate them to D specs and they're only slightly stiffer, but significantly stronger. I'd rather (and do) run E's when D's would suffice by the book. I inflate them 5 PSI over D specs.

Our first camper, a pop-up, came with LRC. While on a 6 week grand tour of the western US, kept blowing tires, 3 or 4 during the trip. We were fully loaded, but not over the sticker rating. First blowout was replaced with a LRD. After that, LRE. By the time we got back, they were all LRE, and no issues after going to them.

JIMNLIN
Explorer
Explorer
I tried running a higher load range than my equipment trailers could use at a derated pressure. The results were always the same....hot tires and a shortened life span.
Those type trailers on the road may use 2 sets of tires per year at 40k-60k per set.

lesson learned was never mount a tire with more than 10-15 percent reserve capacity above axle loads in a trailer position.

RV trailers don't run this type of hard service/high miles/high interstate speeds..... so some may get by with derating a load E tire to 65 psi.
If you use a Carlisle their warranty says to use max sidewall pressures.

Like our resident tire engineer Tireman9 has told us and says in his rvtiresafety blog when he was asked....
**Is there any advantage to a load range E tire used at 65 psi vs a load range D tire at 65 psi?"**

*The answer to the question is;
He will gain a safety margin if he increases his inflation to 65psi with LR-D but if he stays at 65psi there is nothing further gained by going to LR-E tire as there is no difference in the capacity at 65psi.

The op made a wise choice for long term service IMO.
"good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment" ............ Will Rogers

'03 2500 QC Dodge/Cummins HO 3.73 6 speed manual Jacobs Westach
'97 Park Avanue 28' 5er 11200 two slides

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I have ended up with LREs on all of my TTs (3 so far) As far as I can tell, there is no difference in the ride ( I inflate to 80) Even if run at reduced pressure, an E will have superior puncture resistance.

I can see no reason to shy away from Es. In fact I no longer will use anything but LREs.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
I went from ST D to lt 16 inch. My sons FW we went D to Carlisle HD E and will put the Carlisle RH D's on Craigslist. Bigger is better

path1
Explorer
Explorer
Checked my local tire stores and all of them only had load range E tires in stock

Yes, that is one reason I went with load range "E". Load range "D" little bit harder to find on the road.

Do you think it would make a difference in the ride

First trip for us with new load range "E's" that were aired up to 80psi, some stuff moved around more than normal. After watching temps on tires, we now run 68-72 psi. Seems better for us. And also had brass/steel valve stems installed. And wheel/rim is still within its spec's. Our trailer already had shocks.

Dreaming a little..would be nice if I could install air bags on trailer.

Of course every tire manufacture probably has its own load range chart. And I didn't bother to buy spare.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

Lar114
Explorer
Explorer
I just purchased new tires for my trailer, after one of my Goodyear Marathons blew out on me last fall. My tires are the same size as your tires in a load range D, but went with load range E for the first time. I did it because I thought why not, they will handle more weight even though I've always had load D, and my weight will probably be fairly close to what it says in my signature, but not over 8,000lbs. I don't care to much about the ride, but I wanted a decent tire, so I went with Carlisle HD in a load size E. So I'm about to find out how that's going to go. I wouldn't worry about E's if that's all they had, but that's your call. Good luck.
Larry and Wife Debbie
2016 Ford F250 Super Duty 6.2 Liter 3:73 Axle.
2004 Dutchmen Sport 26L 7546 lbs. Loaded.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
You did the right thing, and air those Ds to max 65 psi.

Jerry

KD4UPL
Explorer
Explorer
Any tire, regardless of load range only needs to be inflated enough to handle the weight it's carrying. This is determined by the tire manufacturer's load inflation table. You would not "need" to inflate E to 80 psi.
Ride should be similar between a D and E assuming, again, that both are inflated to the required pressure and not above. Probably slightly stiffer ride on the E because of sidewall stiffness but not that much.
I would have probably gotten the E in your situation.