Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tires LT235/80R17

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hi All,

I am looking for a new pair of shoes for my truck that hauls my truck camper 99% of the time.

I currently have on the Michelin LTX M/S2's that were terrific on the highway, smooth and quiet.

I am now looking to get a more aggressive tread pattern for the times that I do off road ( rocky forest service roads and sandy desert trails.

I am also interested in a tire with a firm sidewall as I tip the scales at 14,000 lbs. Load range E obviously.

Some of the contenders that I have listed so far in my research are:

Toyo M55
Toyo Open Country A/T II
Goodyear Duratrac
Cooper Discoverer A/T3
BF Goodrich T/A KO 2

Thanks!!
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue
35 REPLIES 35

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
No offense taken Steve...

Got them put on today.

Here is the tire construction per the sidewall:

Tread: 2 Polyester, 2 Steel, 2 Polyamide
Sidewall: 2 Polyester

As I said the tires built to carry your weight day-in-and-day-out (as on a motorhome) are built with all steel in the tread and sidewall. Or are of a much more beefy construction, think 19.5" tires.

Any material besides steel in the tire allows for much more tire squirm which builds heat and heat is BAD for tires and tread life. Besides the possibility of a delamination in the plys, the warmer the tire gets the easier the tread wears away. Make sure you are fastidious about keeping them inflated properly to help offset that.
2007 F350,SC,LB,4x4,6.0/Auto,35" tires,16.5 Warn,Buckstop bumpers
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge
95 Bounder 28' ClassA sold
91 Jamboree 21' ClassC sold

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:

Got them put on today.

They look much more "manly" than my Michelins, hope they ride/handle/wear well. I sure like the looks of them, bet they'll do fine.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III

Got them put on today.

2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Steve_in_29 wrote:
egarant wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
OP, while I see you have already bought the next set of tires here is a suggestion for next time.

Something to keep in mind if you are constantly running at the 14K weight is that the nylon/kevlar/etc belts don't hold up as well to being constantly at max loads as the ALL steel (tread and sidewall) tires do. The nylon sidewalls squirm more and thus build up heat which is death to a tire. That is why tires spec'ed for motorhome use (where the vehicle is constantly near max load) while still load range E are of ALL steel construction.

I found this out when I was researching tires for my previous motorhome and was wondering why I couldn't use the cheaper nylon ply load range E tires available for pickups instead of the all steel ones that were called for. I talked to tire companies and even a tech editor at Motorhome Magazine on this.

I will tell you exactly what the sidewall make up of the tire is when I get them. I sincerely doubt nylon will be listed.

I'll tell you what, these tires are not cheap.....$233 per tire, the most expensive tire Discount Tire sells for my truck, more than the Michelins!

No need to take offense, I was simply passing on information I had learned. Unless the tire is ALL steel there is nylon/kevlar/etc in the sidewalls.

I wish I could only pay $233 for my tires, each of mine go for almost $400 a pop.

Ouch.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer
egarant wrote:
Steve_in_29 wrote:
OP, while I see you have already bought the next set of tires here is a suggestion for next time.

Something to keep in mind if you are constantly running at the 14K weight is that the nylon/kevlar/etc belts don't hold up as well to being constantly at max loads as the ALL steel (tread and sidewall) tires do. The nylon sidewalls squirm more and thus build up heat which is death to a tire. That is why tires spec'ed for motorhome use (where the vehicle is constantly near max load) while still load range E are of ALL steel construction.

I found this out when I was researching tires for my previous motorhome and was wondering why I couldn't use the cheaper nylon ply load range E tires available for pickups instead of the all steel ones that were called for. I talked to tire companies and even a tech editor at Motorhome Magazine on this.

I will tell you exactly what the sidewall make up of the tire is when I get them. I sincerely doubt nylon will be listed.

I'll tell you what, these tires are not cheap.....$233 per tire, the most expensive tire Discount Tire sells for my truck, more than the Michelins!

No need to take offense, I was simply passing on information I had learned. Unless the tire is ALL steel there is nylon/kevlar/etc in the sidewalls.

I wish I could only pay $233 for my tires, each of mine go for almost $400 a pop.
2007 Outfitter Apex9.5,270W solar,SolarBoost2000e,2 H2K's,2KW inverter,2 20lb LP on slide out tray,4 Lifeline AGM bats,Tundra fridge

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
Steve_in_29 wrote:

Steve_in_29
Explorer
Explorer

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
CAJW wrote:
Please keep us posted as to how they wear/ride. I'm on my 2nd set of Michelins and with the 5000 lb camper on most of the time, I'm barely getting 30,000 out of them with rotations every 7K.

I hear you. I really don't expect anyone that has their TC on the truck most of the time to get anything more than that. I figure if that is the case I might as well get a tire that has a bit more off-road capability and has the snowflake rating.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
Please keep us posted as to how they wear/ride. I'm on my 2nd set of Michelins and with the 5000 lb camper on most of the time, I'm barely getting 30,000 out of them with rotations every 7K.
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
After way too much research I settled on the Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain Adventure with Kevlar.

From the website: The LT sizes include two layers of Kevlar, 30% more steel for enhanced toughness, and a Severe Snow Conditions Symbol for winter weather driving.

I'm getting the front end aligned Friday with the camper on at a facility that does RV's and Big Rigs. They say that is the way to get the best alignment...

Tires go on next week.

Thanks for all your input!

jimbob3ca
Explorer
Explorer
I have a set of 265-70-17 Toyo AT II's on my Dodge 3500. I carry a camper most of the time. They have only about 25000 KM (Canada) and appear to be about half worn out. At this rate, they will be worn out by 50000 KM, (31000 Miles) Not happy with them at all nor the warranty. They carry an 80000 km warranty, but now I am told that the pro-rated price on a new set under warranty is based on suggested retail, and since they were discounted quite a bit, a replacement set would cost almost the original price anyway. Would not buy these again.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
woodhog wrote:
Kevlar in the sidewalls..

Have no idea about these tires, but they say 35% more sidewall protection, maybe others with Kevlar also?
MT-R is very aggressive tread.

Consider All-Terrain with Kevlar

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires/wrangler-all-terrain-adventure

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Which brand has the highest max load capacity.......go with that one
LT-E of same size will have virtually same load capacity across all brands.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
if your looking for tires to raise your payload, be sure to research what your rim weight rating is.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
woodhog wrote:
Kevlar in the sidewalls..

Have no idea about these tires, but they say 35% more sidewall protection, maybe others with Kevlar also?

I would seriously consider it but they don't make it in my tire size.