cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bringing kayak with you...

texasAUtiger
Explorer
Explorer
I tow with a pickup that has a 6.5' bed and am thinking about getting a hard-sided kayak---preferably a tandem kayak---to bring with us.

I was thinking it would just need to be strapped down in the bed with a good bit of it hanging out over the tailgate.

Do any of you do this? How does it work? Have any size suggestions for how long of a kayak this would work for?
Dad, Mom, and two young kids
2015 Keystone Bullet 272BHS
2016 Ford F-250 Lariat SuperCrew, PSD 6.7
Husky Centerline TS hitch
36 REPLIES 36

NanciL
Explorer II
Explorer II
JD and Beastlet wrote:
texasAUtiger wrote:
I tow with a pickup that has a 6.5' bed and am thinking about getting a hard-sided kayak---preferably a tandem kayak---to bring with us.

I was thinking it would just need to be strapped down in the bed with a good bit of it hanging out over the tailgate.

Do any of you do this? How does it work? Have any size suggestions for how long of a kayak this would work for?

As it happens, we have a new-to-us 2013 F-150 with the 6.5' box. The truck came with a tonneau cover and we wanted that to be usable with a kayak rack installed - that meant a stake pocket rack. Dissatisfied with the commercially available options, we made our own - it uses Thule cradles and carries our three kayaks perfectly. Installation, loading, unloading and removal are all simple.

You can see my build thread here on RV.net... Stake Pocket Kayak Rack.

Unless you are towing a low pop -up trailer, please tell me how you make turns with out the end of that kayak hitting the trailer ?

jack L
Jack & Nanci

austinjenna
Explorer
Explorer
Hey thats nice, How is it held down to the bed?

2010 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 Short Bed
2011 Crusader 298BDS 5th Wheel
Reese 16K

2012Coleman
Explorer
Explorer
Why not build something like this:

Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

mfifield01
Explorer
Explorer
dwayneb236 wrote:

Just an FYI. I tried this with my 12' kayaks and while making a turn my kayak hit the corner of my trailer. No real damage but it will hit it on occasion. I won't do it again. We have a couple we camp with that has a kayak trailer who comes with us. On this occasion we were meeting them to go on a trip and had neglected to take the kayaks to them beforehand. Figured I could get away with just leaning them in the bed with the ends hanging over. If I never made any turns it would be fine.
If you had a 10' kayak, would it work?
TT - 2015 Keystone Passport 2810BH

TV - 2013 RAM Lone Star Crew 6'4" 1500 5.7L Hemi 8-Speed (3.92) 4x4 with Factory Air Suspension

dwayneb236
Explorer
Explorer
texasAUtiger wrote:

Just an FYI. I tried this with my 12' kayaks and while making a turn my kayak hit the corner of my trailer. No real damage but it will hit it on occasion. I won't do it again. We have a couple we camp with that has a kayak trailer who comes with us. On this occasion we were meeting them to go on a trip and had neglected to take the kayaks to them beforehand. Figured I could get away with just leaning them in the bed with the ends hanging over. If I never made any turns it would be fine.
2016 Ford F350 XLT DRW 6.7 SuperCrew 4X4 8 Ft Box
2016 Brookstone 395RL

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
JD and Beastlet wrote:
texasAUtiger wrote:

As it happens, we have a new-to-us 2013 F-150 with the 6.5' box. The truck came with a tonneau cover and we wanted that to be usable with a kayak rack installed - that meant a stake pocket rack. Dissatisfied with the commercially available options, we made our own - it uses Thule cradles and carries our three kayaks perfectly. Installation, loading, unloading and removal are all simple.

You can see my build thread here on RV.net... Stake Pocket Kayak Rack.

Nice and helpful write up. Thank you for taking the time to post this so that anyone who wants to copy it can easily.

JimNH
Explorer
Explorer
instead of a tandem, we have two 10' LL Bean singles. They actually go through the door of our 16' trailer and nest in the middle of the floor between the benches just perfectly. It leaves the truck bed empty for all the other stuff.

IMHO, two single kayaks are better for your marriage than a tandem anyway...

JIM in NH

hawkeye-08
Explorer III
Explorer III
I'm currently using racks with kayaks pads on them, but will likely switch to using front rack coupled with mount on front receiver hitch so most of the kayaks are towards the front (none hanging past tailgate of truck) since I want to put a bike rack over the propane tanks.

Bonefish
Explorer
Explorer
DH does like wishbone51, but he uses pool noodles with PVC pipe inside the noodles and straps it down from front to back and side to side putting the straps inside using cab doors to hold it in place. Been doing this for 10 years with not one problem and times 2 will be on top of the roof.

Sharon

Dennis_Smith
Explorer
Explorer

Here is a photo of our kayak on truck. Can't find any photos with the trailer. Just make sure your not over hanging the rear to much.

ZeeLet50
Explorer
Explorer
@ Wishbone, they make vee sculpted foam blocks you can purchase to help stabilize your kayak and keep it from scratching the roof. Just google kayak mounting blocks and you should get some hits.
2017 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS towed by a 2016 GMC 2500HD gas with Andersen hitch and B&W turnover ball mount.

ralph_day
Explorer
Explorer
Instead of placing directly on your vehicle roof try one or two 13inch inner tubes. They keep any scratching at bay, and the load is a little wiggly maybe. Just be sure the inflation valves are not scratching the roof.

Ralph

tcp
Explorer
Explorer
Check out point 65 kayaks:

http://www.point65.com/kategori/5050/modular.html

Modular designs make singles or tandem at will. We have enough of their martini model parts to make two full tandems.
2005 Bantam Flyer F-18 - sold
2010 Funfinder 189FDS
2009 XLT (XTR pkg) supercrew 5.4l 6sp 6.5ft bed.
102k miles, Raider Topper, Ride Rite airbags, Ford well liners, 5Star SCT Tune, NGK Iridium IX plugs, Bilstein 5100s all around.

Wishbone51
Explorer
Explorer
This was my setup last weekend with my tandem. Haven't found a roof rack for the Titan yet.

2017 Jayco Jay Feather 25BH
2004 Nissan Titan