cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Titan Replacement Fuel Tank

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking of replacing my oem tank with the Titan 52 gal replacement tank. Does anyone know how it affects the trucks computer features like MPG readout, Estimated Range to empty, etc?
Drew, Lora & our two boys
Sophie our Toller
2016 Chevy CC, LTZ, LB, W/ Duramax & Allison, B&W Turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel hitch
2015 Grand Design Momentum 328m Toy Hauler
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i
11 REPLIES 11

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Well my efforts to change out the fuel tank didn't go so well! got it on the lift, got the filler hose disconnected and the straps unbolted and the tank ready to lower down. I could not for the life of me get the fuel lines disconnected and yes I had the GM disconnect rings! So, I put it all back together and reconnected the filler hose and off it went to a friends AutoBody Shop where he did the job for me!! Did I mention that I hate mechanic work! Anyway, the new tank is in!

Does anyone know if the chevy dealer can reprogram the "Range to Empty" feature for the larger tank capacity? I heard that ford can for their trucks, but have not heard on Chevy.
Sophie our Toller
2016 Chevy CC, LTZ, LB, W/ Duramax & Allison, B&W Turnover ball and Companion fifth wheel hitch
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the reply's and information. Going to make the tank swap on Friday afternoon. I have a friend that has a lift in his garage and he is a retired mechanic of sorts. So I don't think it will be to bad of a job. Will let you know how it turns out.
Sophie our Toller
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

lawnspecialties
Explorer
Explorer
One side note. Back in 2011, I did mine on my '09 F350. Brand new Titan tank and I did the install myself. On the way from our first big trip, we ran out of fuel. The computer was reading 21 miles until empty and I knew the truck stop was getting close but she died on I-85 near Greensboro around midnight. Had to have Ford tow us to Green Ford. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express!

Basically, I messed up when putting the unit in and when the float mechanism lays flat to show you're out of fuel, mine was slightly up. Just be careful with that. It was totally my fault.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Go to any parts store and you can pick up a cheap set of fuel line removal tool set. They expand the inside of the retainer clip so the line will pull off. There are videos on youtube showing how to use them.

here is what Auto Zone sells.

Don
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

ACZL
Explorer
Explorer
Not a Titan tank, but Jr and I installed a T-ferflow 50 gallon tank and I don't recall using a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines. PITA though as it's a tight squeeze on top of the tank especially when installing it. Like JT said, plan on at least 1/2 day or more and have fuel on hand to put in when done.
2017 F350 DRW XLT, CC, 4x4, 6.7
2018 Big Country 3560 SS
"The best part of RVing and Snowmobiling is spending time with family and friends"
"Catin' in the Winter"

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I can't remember using a special tool to disconnect the fuel lines. I think on mine there is a clip that slides out. I have no idea if your 07 has the same connections. The procedure was on the instruction sheet so hopefully yours will be also.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Well its suppose to be delivered today. Planning on installing on Friday afternoon. I've watched the video a couple of times and it seems fairly easy. In the video it says I may need a special little tool to disconnect the fuel lines from the old tank and help reconnect them to the new one. Do I really need it and where would I get one...NAPA??
Sophie our Toller
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
Daddy Bear wrote:
Thanks for the info Jim. I don't use the miles to empty hardly at all, so wont miss that to much. I'm glade to here that the MPG still works properly as well as the fuel gauge.

Did you do the install yourself? The youtube videos don't look like its to bad of a job.

Yes, I did the install myself. In fact, I've done 2 of them now. We had a 2012 GMC 3500 single rear wheel before we went to a dually. I put a 57 gallon one in it. I can do a lot of things and not very good at any of them but the instructions were very clear and uncomplicated enough that I got it done. Just be sure to run your current tank down to as low as possible and have about 15 gallons on hand to add to the new tank when you're done. Each one took me about half a day. One tip, on the last one I borrowed a friend's motorcycle lift floor jack to lower the old tank and lift the new one in place. Made it so much easier.

I bought both of mine off Amazon and got them quite a bit cheaper than most advertised prices I could find.
JimT
2020 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, 2020 Ford F350, Platinum, 6.7 diesel, 4X4, CCLB, SRW, 12,400 GVWR

Colo_Native
Explorer
Explorer
I put there 50 gal in I get about 700 miles to a tank. I went to Ford dealer and had it reprogramed for 50 gallon they charged me $60. well worth it.
2015 Winnebago Forza 34T
pushed by a 2011 Fusion Hybrid or 2020 Escape Hybrid
Retired DFD

Daddy_Bear
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the info Jim. I don't use the miles to empty hardly at all, so wont miss that to much. I'm glade to here that the MPG still works properly as well as the fuel gauge.

Did you do the install yourself? The youtube videos don't look like its to bad of a job.
Sophie our Toller
Renology 300W solar
Honda 2000i

JTrac
Explorer
Explorer
I put a 60 gallon Titan in mine when I first got the truck 2 years ago. The only thing affected on mine was the miles to empty. The fuel gauge is spot on and mpg reading is also good as I would think it is based on fuel flow. I was not too concerned about the miles to empty as that was not a feature I used much anyway. On the other hand, the accuracy of the fuel gauge was very important. I watch mine by the quarters. I know if get to the 1/4 mark I have 15 gallons left and I start looking. If it is sitting at the quarter mark I can count on putting in 45 gallons. In fact, no matter where the fuel gauge is sitting I usually tell the wife it will hold whatever number of gallons and I rarely miss it. Entertainment for me but doesn't seem to impress her so much.
JimT