cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too good to be true--$13,850 for new Starcraft 24RLS

MissouriBird
Explorer
Explorer
My March edition of Trailer Life has a nice article introducing StarCraft's new Launch Ultra-Lite 24RLS. It has a good looking floor plan with a Super Slide, rear living room, walk=thru bath, front bedroom. Hard to believe all of this for $13,850 MSRP. Am I missing something or is this a mis-print?

What is the quality level of Starcrafts? Lower or higher than a Jayco Jay Flight, which is what we have now?
We really like the floorplan of this StarCraft but if price reflects quality--than this must not be much.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.
Nomads at heart
20 REPLIES 20

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mandatory Option ='s lower base price which cannot be used for anything!!!

Unless someone wants to brag about how much they paid above list price???????
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
Always thought that the "mandatory option" was one of those odd creatures, the oxymoron.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
rv bill-e wrote:
I noticed two "mandatory option" packages,

mandatory options.....now let's discuss and figure that one out...:h

Who are these manufacturers kidding?
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

wireman
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.jayco.com/products/travel-trailers/2016-jay-feather/23rlsw/

Here is the Jayco floorplan. That has to be a misprint.

Wireman

rv_bill-e
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed two "mandatory option" packages, each one rather extensive. Those not only add cost, they add weight, both of which can somehow be ignored when advertising their base price model----which is not available without the mandatory options!
I would bet that any on a lot will be $10K more expensive and at least a thousand pounds heavier.

GrandpaKip
Explorer II
Explorer II
The article said the $13k or so was a base price.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jaycocreek
Explorer II
Explorer II
$16,840 at RV trader for a 2016.

Starcraft 24rls
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

camperforlife
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
Was looking at the different photos on GOOGLE showing the 24RLS Starcraft trailers. I see one shown only has a single axle while most of the others all showed two axles... Maybe that is the reason for the lower cost.

Roy Ken

This picture is a AR One which the biggest is an 18 ft trailer.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
Was looking at the different photos on GOOGLE showing the 24RLS Starcraft trailers. I see one shown only has a single axle while most of the others all showed two axles... Maybe that is the reason for the lower cost.

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

scbwr
Explorer II
Explorer II
$13,850 MSRP should have read $23,850 is what I think after searching the web.
I would think that it would be comparable to the Jay Flight. The two year warranty that Jayco and Starcraft provide is a plus. We owned three Starcraft pop up trailers and when we had problems with the 1989 Starflyer, Starcraft provided excellent support.

So, if you are willing to pay a more realistic price, go see one and see for yourself how it compares with other trailers you are considering.
2012 Newmar Bay Star 3302
Blue Ox Avail
BrakeBuddy Advantage
2015 Malibu

"Get busy living, or get busy dying."
Andy Dufresne, The Shawshank Redemption

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
MissouriBird wrote:
What is the quality level of Starcrafts? Lower or higher than a Jayco Jay Flight, which is what we have now?

Starcrafts are roughly equal to the same trim level of Jayco. In this case, however, you are comparing an ultralite StarCraft to a Jayflight. Those are not equal comparisions. The ultralight will have cheaper, lighter frame and components, less features inside, a smaller axle, smaller tires, less cargo carrying capacity, etc.
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Wow...that really is a " ultra lite ". It is over 29 feet and about 6000 lbs GVWR. Very reasonable price.
We have a new trailer on order that is 30 feet and it comes in at 10,000 lbs GVWR....similar floor plan.(and it costs A Lot More!)

They certainly have found a way to cut weight and cost.

If you look at the pathetic, tires, brakes and axles on the "ultra lite" you will know the reason for the rating.

allenm
Explorer
Explorer
We bought a 2016 Starcraft 24rls last April for 24K. It's the 4th new RV we've owned, so we have some experience with quality. I'd say Starcrafts are average quality. I've had to fix a few minor things, mainly leaky water pipes. It does have some annoying floor squeaks (more like squawks). The dealer had advised me to bring it in when I get back home.

My wife wishes it had the optional theater seats in the rear instead of the jack knife sofa. I like the sofa myself.

But here's the thing about these ultra lights - the cargo weight on mine is limited to 924 lbs. Believe me you can only carry the bare minimum of what you need. We have to buy food when we get where we're going. I have to leave most tools at home. I keep a 1 gal jug of water in the bath for flushing on the road. You get the idea.

The upside is I can easily tow this 6250 GVWR trailer with my 1/2 ton truck.

Bottom line - it's all a trade-off.

tbred
Explorer
Explorer
A local dealer has that one at 27,000 msrp.