cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Topper for Truck

augustpilot
Explorer
Explorer
Have 2014 Dodge pu. New to trailer, could use more room for chairs, generator bikes, etc. thinking of a fiberglass topper, looking for pros and cons from owners.
Thanks
2017 Rockwood 2906WS Ultra Light
2014 Dodge Ram 1500 5.7. 4x4
Firestone Air Lift 1000, Equalizer Hitch
48 REPLIES 48

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
mileshuff wrote:
I had an A.R.E. tonneau on my 2007 Dodge until I changed to a 5th wheel and had to remove it. Looked at many brands and felt ARE was superior to others. Really nice top. Now it sits in my garage till I find a friend or someone with the same model truck! I'd assume the ARE build quality of the topper shells are just as good as my tonneau.

The build quality of the shell is top notch. I had mine installed with clamps instead of bolts. here are a few more photos.

2017 RAM 1500 Quad Cab 5.7L Hemi, 8 speed 3.21
2018 Winnebago Minnie 2250DS

mileshuff
Explorer
Explorer
I had an A.R.E. tonneau on my 2007 Dodge until I changed to a 5th wheel and had to remove it. Looked at many brands and felt ARE was superior to others. Really nice top. Now it sits in my garage till I find a friend or someone with the same model truck! I'd assume the ARE build quality of the topper shells are just as good as my tonneau.
2014 Winnebago 26FWRKS 5th Wheel
2007.5 Dodge 2500 6.7L Diesel
2004 Dodge Durango Hemi 3.55 (Used to tow TT)

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
As you can see from my photo above, the ARE has a very wide rear glass and very little blind spot.

robval1987
Explorer
Explorer
Here is my 2014 Ram 1500 with an ARE topper, pulling a 28 ft enclosed trailer.
Live Life to it Fullest,

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
Hoosier Daddy wrote:

I am not happy with the limited view out the rear window. Even with the side windows there is a big blind spot at both rear corners....and as previously mentioned with factory tinted rear glass on the cab and the rear window of the topper,night view is reduced even more. At night it's like backing into a dark tunnel!

This is a very good point.

My Leer cap also restricts the rear view and creates large blind spots.

But my "Dumbo" trailer tow mirrors, rear view camera and rear proximity sensors compensate. Wouldn't want the cap without those.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Hoosier_Daddy
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned trucks with toppers,and tonneau in the distant past. I am still getting used to the Monroe Aluminum Topper that came on my New-2-Me '13 F150. It was on it when I bought the truck and thought it a nice addition, but I am still depating on taking it off.

I like being able to haul items protected from the elements and being able to lock it. I also like the opening side windows, I can reach items at the front without climbing in.
I am not happy with the limited view out the rear window. Even with the side windows there is a big blind spot at both rear corners....and as previously mentioned with factory tinted rear glass on the cab and the rear window of the topper,night view is reduced even more. At night it's like backing into a dark tunnel!
Being aluminum it's very solid and light weight, but with that comes straight corners and sides. The new tuck shapes are full of curves. Since it meets at the center of the front,sides, and back, it extends past at the corners giving a slight gap . I see fiberglass toppers are molded to fit the contours of todays trucks much better.
I hated my old trucks tonneau. It was an early style vinyl one with velcro strips to attach it on the sides and tailgate. While easy to roll up and use the bed, it didn't last long and always came off the sides from the weight of snow, even after I intalled bows. But they have come a long way since then.
TT: 2005 Coachmen 248TBG "Spirit of America"
TV: 2013 Ford F150 S/Cab 4X4

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
'tiredTeacher wrote:
My solution was to buy a Softopper. It is similar to a boat bimini. The sides and back can be rolled up for bed access, the entire top can be folded forward and down to accommodate tall loads, or the whole thing can be removed by pulling two circle clips if you need to make a trip to the dump. How many other caps are a one-man operation for removing?
The construction is tough, the fit is tight (no flapping at interstate speeds) and the versatility is outstanding. For the price of a top-of-the-line tonneau, you get a cap.
Here is a LINK
That looks like an awesome option for a truck bed that performs varied duties! It's on my list for my next truck. Thanks for sharing!
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

Bigbird65
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the topper on my 2014 RAM 1500 TV. The brand is ARE. I really like it.

marcsbigfoot20b
Explorer
Explorer
Love mine with the extra height. Keeps things dry, out of sight, and a little more secure.

CKNSLS
Explorer
Explorer
The soft toppers provide no security . But products like the BakFlip do, and they weigh only 50 pounds and can be removed by one person.
http://www.bakflip.com/

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
My solution was to buy a Softopper. It is similar to a boat bimini. The sides and back can be rolled up for bed access, the entire top can be folded forward and down to accommodate tall loads, or the whole thing can be removed by pulling two circle clips if you need to make a trip to the dump. How many other caps are a one-man operation for removing?
The construction is tough, the fit is tight (no flapping at interstate speeds) and the versatility is outstanding. For the price of a top-of-the-line tonneau, you get a cap.
Here is a LINK
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

TurnThePage
Explorer
Explorer
I'm with the posters that mention weight. Ram 1500's aren't known for having a lot of payload and fiberglass toppers are heavy. I would go with aluminum. They aren't as pretty, but they weigh less than half of those fiberglass ones.
2015 Ram 1500
2022 Grand Design Imagine XLS 22RBE

brulaz
Explorer
Explorer
We got our Lear cap with Thule runners on top for our kayaks, the light-weight bikes go inside out of the dirt and salt, along with all the lawn chairs and outdoor stuff we bring.

The stuff we rarely use goes up by the cab, and I've got a rubber mat to cushion my knees when crawling in it.

Thinking about getting the next one with side doors and shelves, just a long as the bikes still fit.
2014 ORV Timber Ridge 240RKS,8500#,1250# tongue,44K miles
690W Rooftop + 340W Portable Solar,4 GC2s,215Ah@24V
2016 Ram 2500 4x4 RgCab CTD,2507# payload,10.8 mpgUS tow

Redterpos3
Explorer
Explorer
Love the commercial topper!! I am adding that to my wish list for my F-350 dually sometime long into the future!!! :B
The Travelin' Terrapins!
2016 Ford F-350 SRW;CC;4x4;172WB;6.7PSD;34,000m
2011 Nash 27T 12,995m
2013 Yr1 30nts 3150m
2014 Yr2 52nts 3365m
2015 yr3 25nts 2260m
2016 yr4 46nts 2500m
2017 yr5 24nts 1720m
2018 yr6 4nts 30m