Explorer
I've been on this great site for 10 years and
I have been trying to decide Happijac or Torklift
for the tie downs on my new Ram 2500. My current
Budget after buying the truck allows for a couple of
Ratchet straps. But then "boom" it happens! I got a message
From "Torklift Kerstin" and apparently she monitors
Our forums. She asked me if I would review/evaluate the new aluminum
Talons as a tester. I just can't figure out what the angle is? Turns out there is
No angle and I just got FedEx confirmation the front and rear sets will be here
Tomorrow! Not going to cost me a thing but I do plan to do a review with pictures
From the time they come out of the box through installation and then in use.
11 REPLIES 11

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
The fit the same hole pattern so you will be good. Easy peasy!!!
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

egarant
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have the original Torklift tie-downs and they are starting to show some rust.

Are the Talons a direct bolt on replacement for the originals or will I have to drill new holes?
2021 FORD F350 dually 4x4 with 4.30 gears, 013 Eagle Cap 950, 480 Watts Solar, 3K Victron Multiplus II, Victron smart DC-DC charger, Victron 100/30 solar controller, 250 amps of lithium batteries by LifeBlue

anutami
Explorer III
Explorer III
Cheers to Torklift, happy 40th!! What makes a great company is innovative products, but more importantly the people that stand behind them.
2001 Ford F350 LB Diesel 4x4 CrewCab Stick
2015 Wolf Creek 850 Thermal Pane Windows, Oven, Reinforced Anchor Bolts, 200w Solar, Torklift Tie Downs, Fastguns, Stableloads

Ranger_Tim
Explorer
Explorer
Finishing kit? Hmmmm....
Ranger Tim
2006 F-350 Super Crew King Ranch SRW Bulletproofed
2016 Wolf Creek 840
Upper and Lower StableLoads

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
hedge wrote:
srschang: I'm surprised you've had that big of issue. I've had mine on for 4 years and never had a problem and they salt the roads heavily here. I do have some rust on them but it's not too bad.

I've always used the 'finishing kit' with the caps over the receivers in the winter, maybe that makes some difference.

What really did it for me was the time I was trying to hammer the loose piece out of the truck mounted piece, and dented the truck with the hammer on the backswing.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

lap527
Explorer
Explorer
You will not go wrong with the talons. As a matter of fact we just loaded our TC up for our Fl camping season complete with plenty of torklift's stuff. You can bet torklift with back any item they sell. Kirsten and torklift are good people. They have sold me as a life long customer. I am seriously thinking about purchasing the lock and load for our generator, just trying to decide if it's worth it because we don't use generator much.
2006 Dodge 3500 dually 4X4 / 2013 Livin Lite 10.0 TC /Torklift talons, fastguns, stableloads, superhitch, and truss/ towing a
14'V Nose Trailer when needed.

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
srschang: I'm surprised you've had that big of issue. I've had mine on for 4 years and never had a problem and they salt the roads heavily here. I do have some rust on them but it's not too bad.

I've always used the 'finishing kit' with the caps over the receivers in the winter, maybe that makes some difference.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB

srschang
Nomad
Nomad
I bought the Talons for my 2015 Ram CC Shortbed when I got it new two years ago. They are pricey, but they are a million times better than the steel tiedowns I've always used on previous Rams.

The huge advantage is they don't rust. In the past, after a year or two on the truck through the winters, the ID of the truck mounted part rusts and gets smaller. So it's harder & harder to get the loose piece into the truck mounted piece. Every spring I'd fight with them, using a dremel tool, files, sandpaper, wire brushes, etc. to get the rust out of the tube. It was always a losing battle. One year I even took the loose pieces into the shop where I work and had a toolmaker mill the outside of the tiedown so I could get it into the truck mounted piece. Eventually I'd start using a hammer to got the loose piece in and out, and by the end of the camping season it got to be so hard to install & remove them that it wasn't worth the hassle to go camping.

The Talons after two winters look brand new, & install & remove just like new.

When I trade this truck, I'll take these off & use them on the new truck or sell them. I always traded previous trucks with the **** steel tiedowns because I couldn't get the loose piece into the truck mounted piece anymore.

The Talons are awesome.

2022 Ram 3500 Dually Crewcab Longbed Cummins, 2019 Northstar 12 STC

a_flyfisher
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! That's great.

I too have been seriously thinking of getting the Talons and Fast Guns to use on my Ford F-350 when I get my new NL camper in the spring.

My RV dealer wanted way over double the normal retail price for them, which would include installation, which I thought was way too much, so I'd be interested to hear in your evaluation how difficult you find the installation of them to be. I'm going to try installing them myself, but normally I'm not the most mechanically inclined person.
a_flyfisher

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
I got a free set of Talons for my 3500HD dually, to fit my SuperHitch. They didn't fit right so I returned them.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

hedge
Explorer
Explorer
Congrats on your good fortune. They are a great company and they really stand behind their products.

I look forward to seeing your review, I have the regular steel ones but next ones will likely be Talons.
2017 F350 Platinum DRW
2013 Adventurer 89RB